Sunshine and Puddles

Name
Christian Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
Love this picture of my daughters but is there anything I could improve on?

16924399145_3566f545db_b.jpg

16924486745_706428ce1a_b.jpg

Last edited:
lovely shot! Keep the colour though, the black and white loses it's effectiveness... maybe lose a bit of the processing too on the colour image. Not sure if you could bring out some clarity to the reflection...?

I'd be happy with that shot though... lovely.

Maybe a compromise between the colour and Mono

Just reduce the Saturation a tad- Like this

and add some USM to the reflection like this

Last edited by a moderator:
He probably means Unsharp mask in PS.

Lovely photo, i would sort out the clipped umbrella. Wouldn't take long to do. Increase canvas on the right and use clone stamp on the background. Paint brush to draw in the edge of the brolly.

Last edited:
Nice shot of your daughters.

Whilst I like what Les has done to the photo it loses a bit of the warm glow in the background I just think your version is a little overdone on the two girls.

Seems I'm the only one to like the mono version, but I do like Les's tweak and the recreated side that Ian added too.

Lovely shot. Disregarding the colour/mono debate, my only crit would be that although the light at the top of the frame is very nice, it does draw my eye upwards such that it distracts from the reflection... cropping about half of the empty space at the top (ie the brightest bit) improves the comp for me.

Thank you for the ideas! i toned it down a little but i do like the warmer feel. I added a some blurring (not sure if its too much??)... I am still working on getting the clipped umbrella fixed. I use GIMP and I am still learning but it looks so much better with the entire thing in the picture!

16742289498_e1bb987f19_b.jpg

It's been said already, by Tom, that the light/warm tones in the background draw the eye away from the subjects. Personal opinion but I would either cool them down a bit or desaturate them a little. This would make the subjects the thing that the eye is drawn towards.

Mono, loses it for me, the colours of the dresses is great. Lovely shot

I like the saturation, but I also like the one with the reflection pulled out. Epic shot. Very natural and lovely.

Morbid - how did you put the umbrella back into the shot?! You've blown my mind!!

Morbid - how did you put the umbrella back into the shot?! You've blown my mind!!

It's not difficult, just extend the canvas to give you an empty area to fill in and then use the clone stamp in PS to fill in the gaps. The umbrella was extended using the clone stamp too. I guess it's a bit like painting, using other areas of the image to provide the paint/pattern - if that makes sense? Once finished crop to get it back to 6 x 4 ratio.

Back