Surprise View

It's a nice view up there, I just think you've lifted the foreground shadows a bit too much - the balance between the bright land and dark sky is quite jarring, and you can also see a 'grad line' in the top left, just above the cliff edge. Did you bracket exposures and have you got Lightroom? The HDR blend in LR is excellent, you're able to get a really nice natural file to work with. The rocks at the bottom of the frame are also quite distracting, I think that could be fixed if you cropped above the one jutting out in the bottom right

It's a nice view up there, I just think you've lifted the foreground shadows a bit too much - the balance between the bright land and dark sky is quite jarring, and you can also see a 'grad line' in the top left, just above the cliff edge. Did you bracket exposures and have you got Lightroom? The HDR blend in LR is excellent, you're able to get a really nice natural file to work with. The rocks at the bottom of the frame are also quite distracting, I think that could be fixed if you cropped above the one jutting out in the bottom right

Thanks, I agree I think I did lift the shadows too much, but I can't lower them much more because the image starts looking underexposed and a bit dull.

So I've pulled them back a bit, and cropped the rocks out. I think that works too making the composition look a bit simpler. Not sure what you mean by the grad line in the top left ? I just have one grad filter in lightroom pulled over the horizon. I am processing in Lightroom with 3 merged photos and the HDR function.

Sunset View by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back