Surrendered back to the ecosystem.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Have not posted here or picked up my camera since the old forum, felt like I needed a break.
Anyway, I popped out today with the intention of getting this shot in monochrome with storm clouds, but it soon cleared up and the sun came out, so ended up with a different image to the one I had in mind.
Please feel free to add constructive advice, cheers.

#1 for me. An interesting subject shot from an interesting angle. The mono treatment possesses plenty of contrast too. I just get the feeling that the subject needs a bit more space around it. I'm guessing this is Dungeness so it may be that you used a tight crop to lose some of the surrounding detritus!

#1 for me. An interesting subject shot from an interesting angle. The mono treatment possesses plenty of contrast too. I just get the feeling that the subject needs a bit more space around it. I'm guessing this is Dungeness so it may be that you used a tight crop to lose some of the surrounding detritus!
Thanks for the comments Mark, I did take some shots with plenty of space around the subject but upon looking at them I thought the subject looked too small/lost as its just bare muddy marshland, and I was also limited to where I could stand as its deep smelly mud. Will have a look at my other photos to see if I could crop them, cheers.
This was shot in Maldon, Essex, and unfortunatly the surrounding detritus is made up of shoping trolleys, tyres, traffic cones etc which gives me plenty of practise using the clone tool.

Thanks for the comments Mark, I did take some shots with plenty of space around the subject but upon looking at them I thought the subject looked too small/lost as its just bare muddy marshland, and I was also limited to where I could stand as its deep smelly mud. Will have a look at my other photos to see if I could crop them, cheers.
This was shot in Maldon, Essex, and unfortunatly the surrounding detritus is made up of shoping trolleys, tyres, traffic cones etc which gives me plenty of practise using the clone tool.

Aah, Maldon. Sounds like you did well to get the shots you did!

Number ones a great shot, brilliant contrast and beautifully sharp. Love the texture of the fading flaking paint on the hull. Looks like a bit of a graveyard there, is that more remains on the left? Think I spotted an anchor there too, perhaps just debris. I think the B&W works well and the composition and angle is nice, nice work.
No 2 not such an imposing shot as 1 and the sky's blown as mentioned above :(

Nice to see you back with camera in hand.

Thanks Steve, yes its a graveyard for boats, wooden and metal, and there are approx ten boats on this spot in different stages of decay. The old thames wooden barges were left to rot on the marshes years ago although nowadays they are restored. You still get the odd local boat that has been retired and beached as in the photo.

Back