weekly Susiejb 52 in 2021 Artificial

Hi Susie, as has already been said the image is a bit under exposed on the front right side, try using something like white card/paper to reflect some light back onto that area.
I like your idea of keeping things simple as well.
I think the strawberrys are a perfect subject for a black background.
Pete

You certainly achieved what you set out to do.
It works very well IMO

Hi Susie, as has already been said the image is a bit under exposed on the front right side, try using something like white card/paper to reflect some light back onto that area.
I like your idea of keeping things simple as well.
I think the strawberrys are a perfect subject for a black background.
Pete

Hi Pete, thank you for looking in and the handy hint about the white card ....much appreciated.

You certainly achieved what you set out to do.
It works very well IMO

Thank you Cobra.

Good start to your 52 Susie (y)

Thank you Iain

A brighter white on the plate might have made the strawberries stand out a little more, but I certainly can't comment about "too dark" this week...

I think dark shots are always subject a bit to whatever they’re being view on

Agreed. My monitor is calibrated so my prints look perfect and many of the photos I've looked at this week with black backgrounds show pixelation in the black (like yours does). If it looks fine to you, then that's all that matters.

I think you managed a better job of this than I did and I think the plate has helped separate the strawberries from the background. I like the central cojmposition, although there are a lot of stalks sticking out that I might have been tempted to trim.

I'm not expert on lighting etc so can't comment on that. I like the dark muted reds so works for me.

A brighter white on the plate might have made the strawberries stand out a little more, but I certainly can't comment about "too dark" this week...

Thank you for looking in :)

Agreed. My monitor is calibrated so my prints look perfect and many of the photos I've looked at this week with black backgrounds show pixelation in the black (like yours does). If it looks fine to you, then that's all that matters.

I think you managed a better job of this than I did and I think the plate has helped separate the strawberries from the background. I like the central cojmposition, although there are a lot of stalks sticking out that I might have been tempted to trim.

Thanks Ian, I worked it out in my 52’s before that with some many different means of viewing photos I just had to go with what looked right for me. Much appreciate you looking in and commenting.

I'm not expert on lighting etc so can't comment on that. I like the dark muted reds so works for me.

Thank you Helen.

Very dirty Susie, do you have a dog? There seems to be some dog paw prints in there

Good idea Susie. It fits the theme nicely.

Dirty
A slippery, muddy path on top of a cliff top sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Good shot, showing mud in all it's glory.

I tried something similar for mine but ended up with something looking bad. The colour really works on this IMO.

That looks like a very muddy walk - nice to see a bit of sun. Definitely on theme.

Thank you. yes we were lucky with the sunshine last week.

Very dirty Susie, do you have a dog? There seems to be some dog paw prints in there

Hi Allan, no we don’t have a dog, I do keep dropping the hint to my OH saying how nice it would be to have a dog again.

Yep - that hits the theme! Good and dirty...

Thank you, appreciate you looking in.

Nicely worked Susie. It certainly is a bit dirty underfoot.

Yes it was very muddy, and slippery too, thank you for hopping in.

Good idea Susie. It fits the theme nicely.

Mucho appreciated Cobra.

Last edited:
Love the bird expression, fruit is very nicely lit, dirty is great, I am just heading out to do the same!
Thank you for taking the time to look through Clive.
Definitely dirty. Hit's the nail on the head.
Thank you, Yes, very muddy indeed!
Certainly works Susie. This is the sort of colour I'm imagining Helen's to be if in colour.
Thank you, I felt it needed something a bit cheery so it didn’t look too dreary.

Dirty
A slippery, muddy path on top of a cliff top sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Good shot, showing mud in all it's glory.

Thank you. I did try not to get too near to the edge as it was very windy too.
Rotating it .... good move. (y)

Thanks d00d it just didn’t seem to look right the other way.
I tried something similar for mine but ended up with something looking bad. The colour really works on this IMO.

Thank you, I’m just about to head over to the main thread and see what everyone’s done.

Clever to turn the image round it does make you think the feet belong to someone else not you, lots of foot and paw prints to add interest

Clever idea Susie, it works well.

Nice one susie, some quality crystals there.

You've not got your macro lens yet?

That's a nice image of an original idea for the theme.
Thank you.
Clever idea Susie, it works well.
Thanks Cobra.
Nice one susie, some quality crystals there.

You've not got your macro lens yet?
Hi d00d, I did do a few, but not too happy with them, the focus is so precise, I really need to get to Specsavers I need new contact lenses :)

Good idea. WIsh I'd thought of it. Nice pleasing composition, and I think it works really well.

That's very nice and a clever idea. I love the detail you've managed to capture in the saly crystals.

Rock
I'd thought about doing rock salt, but didn't have any in the house.
I like the close up pov and the lighting.

I like that nice close up with great detail on the salt crystals.

Good idea. WIsh I'd thought of it. Nice pleasing composition, and I think it works really well.
Nice close-up and composition. Works well.
Nice clean shot. Nice take and subject too.
No mistaking Maldon salt! I hate to be pedantic (actually, I love being pedantic), but Maldon salt is sea salt, not rock salt :-D
Thank you very much for looking in and commenting folks @Stegosaurus i hoped no one would notice!

Back