weekly Susiejb 52 in 2021 Artificial

Very stylish!
I like it, you could probably crop a little bit off the right and it would still work.
nice abstract image.
That works. Another option could be to crop a big chunk off the left to have half light half dark.
Heh... I often wonder whether I should read other's opinions before replying myself...

My instinct was to chop the RH edge off just to have the parallel lines. then I read Allan's reply and felt justified! Then I read Stan's reply and though - yep - that's another good idea. Then I went back and looked at it again, and realised I think I prefer it as it is. That darkened fifth makes it more real and less abstract in my mind. So did you consider other compositions?

Thank you folks, much appreciate the comments.
Yes I did think of the crop Ian but decided in the end I liked it as it is, I think it actually looks better on Flickr with a plain black surround, I think the only crop that really works is a tight one to the centre with just the slats but that might be too abstract and everyone would be thinking ....what’s that all about :thinking:

... and I was wondering if it would benefit from a crop, but no. leave it.

Fun, different idea.

Good work Susie, I like the abstract nature of your shot.
By calling it half open, I've got you down as an optimistic kinda person, a very positive trait :D

Half
As others have described, a nice stylish image, personally might have cropped from the left just to remove the connecting cord, that leave the rest with no curves.

Cool image Susie, agree with Stan's thought.
Thank you Dave.
... and I was wondering if it would benefit from a crop, but no. leave it.

Fun, different idea.
Thanks d00d, yes, I like it as it is too.
Half
Quite a simple shot, but it has all the right elements.
Thank you, I quite like simple uncomplicated shots.
Good work Susie, I like the abstract nature of your shot.
By calling it half open, I've got you down as an optimistic kinda person, a very positive trait :D
Thank you Iain, yes Im definitely a glass half full type :)
Half
As others have described, a nice stylish image, personally might have cropped from the left just to remove the connecting cord, that leave the rest with no curves.
Thanks Stuart, much appreciate you looking in.

Fascinating reading some of the ideas for other crops. I think they would all work, but I like it as it is. The thread on the left means we know we are looking at a venetian blind and not some other sort of vent. I love the black and white treatment and the slight reflection to the right adds to it. A great idea for the theme.

Fascinating reading some of the ideas for other crops. I think they would all work, but I like it as it is. The thread on the left means we know we are looking at a venetian blind and not some other sort of vent. I love the black and white treatment and the slight reflection to the right adds to it. A great idea for the theme.

Thank you, I came to that conclusion too, I was pleased with the end result, I think I’ll do some more B&W as we go through the weeks.

Nice semi-abstract image. Cropped it would probably be more abstract but I also like it as it is.

Nice semi-abstract image. Cropped it would probably be more abstract but I also like it as it is.

thank you, yes, I came to that conclusion too Helen.
Hi Susie. I see this as a behind the scene shot for the lighting of a noir portrait, using the blinds to create hard lighting shapes across the image :)

Ooooo’errrr that sounds a bit technical Tim, I thought of it more as a photo of my kitchen blind :)

• Haha
Reactions: LC2
Nicely faffed :)

It works very well Susie

That's really nice, the harsh light works really nicely, gives it a different feel. I'm not 100% sure about the crop though, with the central subject... for some reason my brain wants a little more space at the top.... I have no idea why?

Works well for me, I love the colours and lighting, great job

... and I thought it could do with a little more space at the bottom. I know there's nothing to see down there.

Nice lighting, nicely done. :D

Great faff there. Perfect lighting to enhance the vibrant colour.

Nicely faffed :)
Thank you :)
It works very well Susie
Thanks Cobra.
That's really nice, the harsh light works really nicely, gives it a different feel. I'm not 100% sure about the crop though, with the central subject... for some reason my brain wants a little more space at the top.... I have no idea why?
Thank you, I was using a small piece of glass so it left me a bit limited.
Works well for me, I love the colours and lighting, great job
... and I thought it could do with a little more space at the bottom. I know there's nothing to see down there.

Nice lighting, nicely done. :D
Thanks d00d, I really wanted to find something minimalist but no luck, my piece of glass was small so it was a bit tight.
Great faff there. Perfect lighting to enhance the vibrant colour.
Thank you Helen.

Really like reflection, pops nicely, nice and simple but done really well.

Reflection
Good strong orange against the black. There's a bit of a hot spot on the stigma, but that's quite a minor thing.

How did your get the perfect black background something I always struggle with.

It’s just black card under the glass at the bottom, then black card at the back, and I did balance a piece of black card across the top to keep out reflections, almost a black box really. I then just used a hand held normal torch directed just on the flower. I don’t use any editing programmes except the standard one on my iPad and I just adjusted the black point down a touch to darken it, I wish it sounded a lot more technical :)

You should faff more often, lovely picture.

Proud but rough - well taken :)

Nicely thought out and presented Susie

Nice colourful image and perfect for the theme I'm going to bring up cropping again this time the rope on the left a minor detail but I don't think its needed

Proud but rough - well taken :)
Nicely thought out and presented Susie
Thanks for looking in Cobra.
Nice exposure, colourful, hello sailor.
:) thanks d00d, I tried lots of other things but I liked this bright cheer one the best.
Nice colourful image and perfect for the theme I'm going to bring up cropping again this time the rope on the left a minor detail but I don't think its needed
Thanks Allan, it’s had a fairly hefty crop already, I tried it without the rope on the left but I think it keeps it grounded a bit, rather than just sticking up in the centre.

Nice colourful image, fits the theme and I like the way you've got some movement in the flag, good use of SS.

Back