Svinafellsjokull Glacier Iceland

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone else find this? When you are taking photographs you sometimes feel really in the zone and are excited making the images, thinking you are onto something really good. Then when you try to process the images they are not as good as you'd hoped...

Well these images taken in February this year in Iceland were definitely that sort. The light was breaking through and the cloud was just lifting, but trying to process them in colour initially I'd failed to covey that. Just recently I worked on the RAWS in B & W to achieve the necessary tonal separation, then toggled it back to colour before exporting them. I think it helped, for the 2 normal landscapes.

Still not sure about the blue and gold abstract ones but I include them too from images made at the same time at this beautiful place that we stumbled upon through curiosity. I have some nice memories of being here as the wind was not howling like normal!

Svinafellsjokull Iceland Glacier by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Svinafellsjokull Iceland Abstract Wide by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Svinafellsjokull Iceland Abstract by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Svinafellsjokull Iceland by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking C & C welcome.

Then when you try to process the images they are not as good as you'd hoped...

I believe you are not right! :eek:
I would like very much to have a look at a RAW file of your choice! :cool:

The middle two are personally the better ones. The colour palette is simple yet pleasing and the light is suitable for the location. No 2 is probably my pick.

I want to like no 1 but something is missing or not quite right. It's nothing you could do; you get days when the weather is not cooperating. I think the slight ripple is a bit distracting and so is grey heavy cloud. I'm not sure if it would work or not but I'd try dropping contrast and clarity down, brighten up the top part a little and just somehow focus all attention on the blue glacier.

You have some great work posted from the same trip and I'd particularly highlight https://www.flickr.com/photos/craigstuarthollis/33058025302/in/dateposted/ (love the sky and water movement) and https://www.flickr.com/photos/craigstuarthollis/32370582244/in/dateposted/

In answer to your first question .... Yes all the time! I'm not sure if it is the scene in front of you and the excitement that perhaps runs away with you, I'm not sure.
Anyhow I must say i do like #2 and 3, however having said that #1 is nice, it imparts that cold chill of Northern Climes swirling snow over the peaks and ripples of a chilly breeze across the water.

2 and 3 are nice Craig, although I'd be tempted to go 4:5 on 3 and crop the brighter section of gold out as I dont think it's needed on the closer shot.

Is it because you are in the whole scene and capturing just part sometimes never quite conveys that?

Back