Wild Swans! …post them in this communal thread.

9 in flight…

B0734%2051DC.jpg

I did, but the more I tried the worse it looked. So I left it.

Then, I would suggest you ETTL and look at the histogram
to confirm the right compensation. :cool:

My wife and I was sitting on the lake bank with mother duck and her duckings. They were eating beside us with the corn feed we had.
Along came Mr & Mrs Swan with their clan. After pushing the mum duck and duckings out the way, the Cygnets were literally under our legs feeding. Dad kept a close eye on things and was happy to munch into the food also :)

Sorry Dave put it down to age.:wacky: I must add that I have never seen a Swans eye shown in this way before ….such beauty. ….. thanks DAVE(y):clap:

Even though the swan was calm around us with its baby's it still gave me a bit of the heebie jeebies as I've seen what they can do if they don't like you :eek:

B0991%2051D.jpg

CyBBTKp.jpg

IqIIjUy.jpg

i actually won a prize with the top one run by the company called Terry Mugler

Last edited:
i actually won a prize with the top one run by the company called Terry Mugler

Congratulations… I think!
You are pulling our leg, aren't you?
Well, the first is levelled but not the second.

Please tell me you are! :cool:

No leg pull I actually won the competition was called Romance or something like. There were a lot of images of couples on a beach at sunset. I think I won as this photo was a bit out of the box as they as, a bit different
only got a mug with the photo on, a thing of smellies for the bath and some good luck type dice.

Not bad for a competition run by a firm worldwide on the internet. I am quite proud I even won anything

5ZnB4MQ.jpg

Just looked it up
Nikon D70s in 2006 with a lens at 200mm which must have been a Nikon 70-300mm lens. The original was submitted unedited as well as I didn't have an editing suite at the time
Also a jpeg photo and a 6.1 megapixel camera as well

Last edited:

B1116%2051D.jpg

B1168%2051D.jpg

I haven't seen any at this time… they must be in some other areas.

Just performing the basic DRL (Dynamic Range Levels = black and
white points setting) will reveal the real tones and details in your
sweet take, Chris… :cool:

Last edited:
Some from Marlow.

Still testing out my lenses so I went out with my original kit lens - Canon 18-135 and my 80d.

Orange is the new quack

When I grow up, I want to be a speedboat.

IMG_8924 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_8913 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
You know it's really hot when the swans leave the water and head for the shade, while the daft humans sit out in the sun!

20180627_120552-tp.jpg

Nothing special as taken on D5100 with nifty fifty on it, with blazing sun directly overhead, but here is my effort...
28645331437_12376a5fd3_b.jpg

29661130698_ef85ab588a_b.jpg

28645331037_13d3dcba2f_b.jpg

29661131208_a9b7daa774_b.jpg

29661131538_d37778ceac_b.jpg

This was a quick grab shot as I was set up to face the other way. The swan ran around the little island on the lake making loads of noise which attracted my attention, then settled down for a quick bath

GG5_1794e by Graeme Gall

I was at the Inverness College campus 2 weeks ago to finish off a film. I could see that last year's brood were all gone, and noticed the resident pair of swans appearing to start their courtship ritual. Tragically, I've read in the local paper today that the male had an accident and broke a wing, which led to his early death. No prizes for the photo as the swans were too far away for the lens in use, so it is a substantial crop of a cheap film in poor lighting, but more of a memory of the pleasure this pair have given to many people.

000075740023-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
When I see other people's shots, I'm always staggered by how sharp the detail is in them.

I went out yesterday with a SH Canon EOS 20D and the kit lens from my 600D to try it out.

It's in no way as sharp as some here, but in some ways once I stopped worrying about the sharpness so much, I started to think more about light and composition. Hoping I continue to think more about that and my shots improve.

I'm also finding it difficult on the swans to get much detail. A friend of mine said I should under expose by at least a stop. But I forgot.

IMG_1662 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_1664 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_1656 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back