Swear words in puzzle games

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I'm nearly done writing my puzzle game which is basically a word game where the player has to make words to score points.

I have an extensive word list of nearly 250,000 words, with profanities marked so they can be allowed or disallowed depending on a switch in the game code itself.

An adult playing the game might want the game to allow swear words, whereas an adult who sees their child playing the game and making swear words (which the game accepts and awards points for) might get a bit 'uppity' with me.

In either case, swear words are only allowed or disallowed. The game will never suggest the use of a swear word.

I had thought of implementing a user account system, which will ask the player to enter their date of birth. This would then dictate whether swear words could be switched on (they'd always be off, by default).

So I have a couple of options.

1. Always allow the player to accept swear words.
2. Always allow swear words, but only award half points and show a warning about using bad language.
3. Never allow swear words.
4. Allow swear words if player says they are over 18 only.

Thoughts?

What about a password based parental control method?

What about a password based parental control method?
That's basically how number #4 would work.

Somebody setting up a new 'account' would have to enter their date of birth. Of course, little Johnny could enter a fake date of birth so he can have swear words in, but I'd like to leave that down to parental responsibility and remain comfortable that I've done as much as I can or as much as is sensible.

id just disallow them all together, easier that way
Well most of the programming is already done, so using option 4 is no more difficult than banning swear words completely.

as a kid though you'd go out of your way to ensure a swearword filter was turned off, kids like that sort of thing and just ticking "yes im 18" or entering in a fake date of birth is like waving a red rag to a bull, skids are naturally curious!

Back