Take camera or not?

50mm it is for me. I'll enjoy the city with my eyes and will take photos of locals instead of the buildings :)
I think buildings as a backdrop as you shoot people is far more interesting IMHO.

If I had a pound for every time I kicked myself because I didn't have a wide angle lens and wanted to take a shot.........For cityscaping a wide angle is a must. We don't often go back to where we visit and places change. If your mobile phone has a semi decent camera in it then maybe you are fine to go.
Its first time ive travelled when owning a proper camera, so did not know what to expect, but yes, i agree, i would love to have wider lens and will buy one when i go somewhere next time

Take the camera definitely, it's what you're comfortable with. Phones are getting better, are great for panoramic shots in good light, usually terrible at night, or dynamic range.

Holiday photos don't have to be amazing, they are for you, a reminder of the sights so are personal images. To many people think they have to try to produce amazing images to show off. That's not what holiday photos are about.
Take what interest you, as these acts as reminders. People, sights, food, details. A 6D with a 50mm lens is a good small package, easy to carry around.

And enjoy. Don't get hung up seeing it through a small window ;)

Any feedback regarding your visit? I.e Did you feel restricted by the 50mm? Etc

Any feedback regarding your visit? I.e Did you feel restricted by the 50mm? Etc

I wanted to enjoy the city and not feeling the pressure to capture everything on the camera or search for a perfect set up, so i did not take a lot of photos and i did use my iphone as well as the camera.

Yes, i felt that i was restricted by 50mm. Some times i wished i had a wider lens and or zoom as i did not feel comfortable to get close enough to picture some scenes. I am happy with few portraits and photos of sights thst i've captured. BUT next time i will definetelly get 24-105mm or 35mm to take with me.

In regards to safety, there were a lot of people with more gear/expensive cameras than me and generaly i felt safe around the city.

Last edited:
A few years ago, a friend of mine went on a trip to India and met a young man from Japan who had chosen to only take a 50mm lens even though he had various other lenses including zoom lenses at home. He had decided to use his trip as a photography exercise and to force himself to be restricted by his lens. Not only this, he also only allowed himself to take pictures in landscape and not tilt the camera to portrait. My friend saw some of his photos and said that they were really good.

Doing something like this on a trip to India is a brave decision with what must be an overwhelming choice of shots around you, rather like in Florence with so much fantastic architecture etc.

I really like this idea of restricting your equipment as a way of learning and also to keep your camera kit to a minimum.
Not sure I would have the courage to do it on such a big holiday though.

One alternative to the lack of a wide angle is to take panoramas, up and down as well as across. Photoshop and even Lightroom can make you some great compound shots.

Personally, I often shoot with wider angle lenses in urban scenes. I'd find a 35mm (DX) 50mm (FX) a tad too constricting especially in older cities with tighter urban spaces. As for travelling with camera gear, I used to take gear everywhere, even on three day hikes, but (don't lynch me) have to be honest that I've increasingly started using the more recent iPhone cameras - no more worry about heavy gear, gear getting stolen, looking like a tourist, etc.

Not sure why you wouldn't take a camera? My M9 has been to way more extreme environments than Florence and has come out perfectly fine.

I didn't find much use for an 85 while I was there, I'd take wide to short tele.

You need to take it because Florence is a beautiful city. Here you can shoot some beautiful pictures. Yeah, 50 mm lens is best to shoot without zooming.

no problem Just take the 50mm
If you need wider just take in sections and stitch when you get home. I do it all the time. streets with people too.

Back