taking bird photos in the northwest

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
i've got loads of time on my hands at the moment and i fancy a bit of bird photography.

now there are loads of RSPB, WWT etc etc round here, which one would be best to see lots of nice birds (i know little about birds, my dad knows a fair bit but might not be with me!) to photograph, bearing in mind my longest lens is 200mm (i can borrow back my 70-300 but its not very good really!) so i would like to have a fighting chance of getting some decent shots with my kit, so obviously ill need some reasonable positioned hides!

I found this website whcih is useful for where to go but id like some more opinions, my old man recons that mere sands wood is worth a crack!

any ideas folks!?

thanks

Last edited:
Pennington Flash! Go to the feeding station hide (Bullfinch) you can get really close to the subject and there are plenty of trees/bushes/branches to get 'off feeder' shots. Ideal for 200mm and for practice!!

ps-there are other hides too!
pps-it's also free, apart from parking! (it is free if you go to one of the outer CPs)
ppps-there is also a mobile burger/coffee bar!

Last edited:
Mere Sands Wood gets my vote; it’s a lovely quiet place, with plenty of bird hides. I’ve snapped Kingfishers and Tawny owls there too, and prefer it to Martin Mere. :)

I'm a WWT member and Martin Mere is a good place to start. Although you don't have to be a member to visit. Maybe a bit quiet at the moment as most of the Swans are abroad at the moment. However they do have other wildfowl there so it maybe worth a day out. Many of the birds are use to people so are relatively tame.

Last edited:
What lens can be used at Mere Sands Wood?

Mere Sands Wood gets my vote; it’s a lovely quiet place, with plenty of bird hides. I’ve snapped Kingfishers and Tawny owls there too, and prefer it to Martin Mere. :)

Loads of places not too far from Preston in no particular order:

Brockholes
Longton Brickcroft
Ribble Marshes
Mere Sands Wood
Yarrow Valley

To name but a few. All of which are either free or just the cost of parking. Also Martin Mere, but that's a bit on the expensive side unless you're a member.

There are a number of LWT local reserves too which are worth a look. Further afield there's Lunt Meadows or Leighton Moss. Not been to Pennington Flash - will have to add that to the list! :)

200mm will be too short for the hides though. You're into 400mm+ territory there as others have said

Last edited:
How about setting up a bird feeder and perches in a garden / park? easy, convenient and many birds are accustomed to humans. Good luck and save........

Burton mere on the Wirral , formby woods for red squirrels , Dee estuary for waders and raptors , but 200mm is way to short for most places

Back