Taking photographs on the London Underground?

Public place I would have thought, although you shouldn't be surprised if you're challenged. I'd be inclined to just do it. :D

hmmm..going to 'dat London' eh? well good luck! Keep a tight hold of your gear..

The 'unofficial' word from someone who works on the underground...

"You need a permit to photograph or film on the Underground, trains are a big no-no without permission. Depends on what type of photography you want to do tbh.

Ordinary for your own purposes you'll be fine just taking a camera around with you, but you're not allowed to use a flash anywhere unless you have specific permission. Deffo no flash on the platforms. With this type of photography you can usually get away with just going around on your own, but if its a specific station you want to photograph then just knocking on the Supervisors door and letting him/her know you're there is curteous, though again you might get a jobsworth insisting you have a permit.

Commercial photography has to have an official permit/licence.

The above applies to filming aswell.

Tripods are another big no-no as they are considered a safety hazard.

hope that helps."

I have just got back from a few days in London and had no issues at all with photography on the underground. It was busy though and you have to keep your wits about you. Don't put anything down even for a second and look confident, not timid.

Back