Review Talking About Getting Used To New Gear… not so easy!

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

I said I got a new iMac 5K i7 two weeks back…
a n d _ i t _ d r i v e s _ m e _ c r a z y !
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THAT THING but how is one expected to work comfortably on a screen that has twice the resolution?

The two following pictures are full screen shots of both the cinema display that I got with my 2008 MacPro and the Retina display in the iMac.

In both cases, the interfaces, the thumbnails and the tools look pretty much the same but see the centre of the window?
Note that both shots represent the swan's head at 100%!!!

If you click the links, a real size screen shot will come
as it is too big for this post — open your browser window very wiiiiiiide!

http://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP17/12/MacPro CD 2560X1440 .jpg

MacPro%20CD%202560X1440:3%20.jpg

http://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP17/12/iMac%20i7%205120X2880.jpg

iMac%20i7%205120X2880.jpg

The greatest discomfort comes from switching machines within the
same working session… the difference just too crazy to get used to!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 5K Imac as well. I noticed that because it has a much higher resolution when you opt for 100% the magnification is much less than with the older lower res screens. However I do find I can see details on the Imac that I would have to zoom in on the older machine. Glad to say I don't need to operate with two machines so it doesn't give me a problem .

Last edited:
Yes I tried that , but in general I found the default was better. I generally use Lightroom and that’s OK as in Final Cut hence my preference for the default setting.

Your basic problem is having two good displays. When I bought my iMac, I moved from a mid-range monitor I bought in 2003 - every part of the new display is a massive improvement.

Your basic problem is having two good displays.

Thanks for your compassionate understanding, John
but I won't settle for lesser quality once I tasted the
higher features of these! I just have to give them the
time to get under my skin! :D

I had a similar problem, I bought myself a 5k iMac last year and the screen is stunning. I tried a 4k monitor on my Pc and oh my goodness the text was minute and in some programs I couldn’t scale it. I use Faststone image viewer and it was impossible to use. I’ve had to go back to a 1920 x 1280 resolution screen which is downright disappointing.

Back