Tall trees

Hi Jean, welcome to Talk Photography (TP) it's a good photo of what looks like a location with a lot of potential, it would be nice to see a larger version.

Hi Jean, welcome to Talk Photography (TP) it's a good photo of what looks like a location with a lot of potential, it would be nice to see a larger version.

Thank you sirch for the welcome. I could have posted a larger file but posting into Gallery puts a limit on the file size. Would it be better to upload directly to this forum? I'll get the hang of how this all works here, soon ...... I hope :)

I'm sure you'll get the the hang of it. It depends a bit on how you post and what software you have for resizing your images. What a lot of people do is post the image to Flickr and then insert a link from Flickr to here. Alternatively if you have some software to resize images that lets you change the JPEG "quality" then you can normally get a 800x600 pixel image uploaded. The Fastone image viewer is free and has a resize option. Once you have a certain number of posts on here (about 10 I think) then you can upload directly into the thread that you post rather than using the gallery.

I'm sure you'll get the the hang of it. It depends a bit on how you post and what software you have for resizing your images. What a lot of people do is post the image to Flickr and then insert a link from Flickr to here. Alternatively if you have some software to resize images that lets you change the JPEG "quality" then you can normally get a 800x600 pixel image uploaded. The Fastone image viewer is free and has a resize option. Once you have a certain number of posts on here (about 10 I think) then you can upload directly into the thread that you post rather than using the gallery.
Thank you so much for your tips, Sirch, it's much appreciated.
I use Lightroom mostly for my processing and export the resulting jpegs at full res (which are what I use for Flickr and 500px) - but I export copies to a separate folder for using on Facebook at just 1000 long edge. The Tall Trees shot posted in Gallery from my Facebook folder, was 1000x669.
I might wait till I have the required number of posts, or maybe try the link from Flickr method. I'll give it some thought. Meanwhile, I'll spend a bit of time browsing the site to get the feel of it. Thank you again for your help :)

No problem. the site has a max of 1024 on the long edge and tends to make a hash of photos larger than that, so I either export from LR as 1024 (or sometimes 800) on the long edge with reduced JPEG quality, say 75% to get down to the file size limit on this site. Or I upload to Flickr and link from there, flickr lets you set the size of the linked image to 1024. on the long edge

No problem. the site has a max of 1024 on the long edge and tends to make a hash of photos larger than that, so I either export from LR as 1024 (or sometimes 800) on the long edge with reduced JPEG quality, say 75% to get down to the file size limit on this site. Or I upload to Flickr and link from there, flickr lets you set the size of the linked image to 1024. on the long edge
Thanks Sirch. ..... I've just successfully posted a photo using a link from Flickr. Seemed to work OK. ...Also been sorting out my profile details and changed my signature to include links to 500px and Flickr. .....Now have to sort out a suitable profile photo.
One more thing - am I right in thinking that to post a photo in the forum requires starting a new thread (as that's what I've done)?

am I right in thinking that to post a photo in the forum requires starting a new thread

Not always, there are a number of "open" threads where anyone can post pictures but these usually have a theme e.g. reflections, sunsets here's an example
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ay-an-open-thread.693160/page-19#post-8720651

Something else that might be helpful to know, it is a generally accepted convention that anything posted in the "Photos" sections is put up because people are looking for critque, except for "Photos: For Pleasure" where you typically won't get crit or much comment at all.

There are a number of equipment specific threads in "Talk Equipment" and people often post photos taken with the relevant gear in those threads too. Best bet is probably to keep an eye on What's New for a week or so and see what crops up, it's a pretty active forum. But please don't let anyone of that stop you posting your own threads and you will get comments, it might just take a day or two.

Not always, there are a number of "open" threads where anyone can post pictures but these usually have a theme e.g. reflections, sunsets here's an example
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ay-an-open-thread.693160/page-19#post-8720651

Something else that might be helpful to know, it is a generally accepted convention that anything posted in the "Photos" sections is put up because people are looking for critque, except for "Photos: For Pleasure" where you typically won't get crit or much comment at all.

There are a number of equipment specific threads in "Talk Equipment" and people often post photos taken with the relevant gear in those threads too. Best bet is probably to keep an eye on What's New for a week or so and see what crops up, it's a pretty active forum. But please don't let anyone of that stop you posting your own threads and you will get comments, it might just take a day or two.

Thank you for your reply. You've been very helpful, and I'll take all your advice and tips on board. :giggle:

Lovely sharp pic, just my preference, but would love to see this in some sort of panorama shot.

Lovely sharp pic, just my preference, but would love to see this in some sort of panorama shot.

Thanks for the feedback, Dale. Much appreciated.
I do agree that a pano would really suit this subject. This was basically not much more than a snapshot on a walk in the local woods. Next time I might try for a pano. never done one before, but I'd like to try. :)

Back