Taller Tripod?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, OK I have two carbon tripods but in trying bird photography I am finding that I have to bend down quite far even with a gimbal head fixed on so would like some advice on a taller tripod option, I do not want to have to extend a centre column, budget around £150 or less, does not have to be Carbon Fibre alloy would be OK. Thankyou, Russ.

How tall? I'm 6'5" and I ended up with a Manfrotto 055C about a million years ago... Still have to crouch slightly if I don't extend the centre column and it weighs a ton...

You don't mention your height, or what camera/lens combination/existing tripods you are currently using?

A compromise for your budget, might be something like a good second-hand monopod. I bought an excellent Gitzo 5561 from ebay, for your budget and it has been great.

I'm 6' tall and it works well (slightly lowered) with my gimbal fitted.

I also use a Gitzo 5532 Tripod (also from ebay), but for that you would need to increase your budget substantially!

I've used 'lesser' equipment in the past, but never been satisfied. If you can afford it, buy the best once, as opposed to being dissapointed and spending more upgrading.

I have a Manfrotto 055 pro that fully extended without the centre column raised is about 55ins
Kept it in my car in case I needed a tripod when I was out, but bought a smaller lighter one now I only use mirrorless
I'm 6ft tall and it was fine for me, if anything a tiny bit too tall once a ballhead and camera were fitted

If you are interested its only sat in the cupboard now, let me know and ill bung it on the classifieds

Last edited:
I use a Benro mach3 TMA37AL aluminium tripod I'm 6'2 and it works well .

Hi, Thankyou for the replies. I am 6'. Tripods are the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 (Yes old moldel and had it a few years but still going strong) the other is an old Velbon carbon fibre but both only extend to approx 55ins. (Rich thanks for the offer but would not gain anything). Camera 7D Mk ll with version 1 of the Canon 100-400mm and the Canon 400mm, no they are not that heavy that is until you hold 100-400mm for a while. Thankyopu, Russ.

Have Benro Mk3 (carbon fibre) and Manfrotto 055C (as old as the fossil record). I am 6ft 1.5 inches tall and I don't think that once extended I've had to raise the centre column much.

Back