Tammy with beauty dish II

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Finally got the full lighting setup going in preparation for my shoot tomorrow. I think it's coming together nicely, although will need to tweak a bit I am sure. It's already 100 times better with the side lighting.

This is so out of Tammy's comfort zone it's unreal, but at least she helped me with getting things setup tonight :)

Tams 1
by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

Tams
by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

Hi there.
These look great to my eyes very 3d. Good luck with whom ever your are shooting today/tommorrow :)

Gaz

I thinking she should be very happy with results :) - you owe her a shopping trip!

#2 for me. Have you done any PP on it?

Thanks :) I did a very quick retouch on #1 using frequency separation (I am nowhere near proficient in it yet!) and I ran #2 through PortraitPro (which I am trying to get away from) so it's interesting that you prefer #2. Are you asking about PP because it's more noticeable in #2 or because it doesn't look like it's had any applied?

Would be interested to know :)

Hi there.
These look great to my eyes very 3d. Good luck with whom ever your are shooting today/tommorrow :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, I'm shooting a young lady who is starting out in the field of modelling and wanted some head shots to use in a portfolio. Should be fun!

Nice. Did you use the reflector on these again? I'll not waffle on again this time - have fun and do share the results of the shoot.

Thanks Simon, yes I used a reflector at chest height under the dish. I really enjoyed your 'waffling' in my other post and value your contribution, so please feel free to engage your waffle :)

I'll post back with any results once I've edited them. I have also got a pull back shot waiting to go, so hopefully that will help with picturing the lighting setup.

Thanks :) I did a very quick retouch on #1 using frequency separation (I am nowhere near proficient in it yet!) and I ran #2 through PortraitPro (which I am trying to get away from) so it's interesting that you prefer #2. Are you asking about PP because it's more noticeable in #2 or because it doesn't look like it's had any applied?

Would be interested to know :)

Much prefer the processing in #1.

Thanks Simon, yes I used a reflector at chest height under the dish. I really enjoyed your 'waffling' in my other post and value your contribution, so please feel free to engage your waffle :)

ok...this is all personal taste now, you know what you want to achieve... The shadows look a little dense in the second - mainly because she has her chin down slightly. It's noticeable in the eyes and under the top lip & chin.
The rim lights are a little bit bright for me, especially in the 2nd. It's resulted in some areas which are very nearly blown.
What are you going to do with the background come the actual shoot? It looks as though the dish is spilling onto it, again especially in the 2nd. It'd be tempting to get the model a little further away from it and light it separately (or just let it go to mid / dark grey).

Or maybe you could angle the dish down more to take it off the backdrop and get a bit more light on the reflector?

I prefer the pose of the 2nd fwiw.

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Preferred the pose in #2, in terms of PP it looked more "polished" but in a good way, dare I say it takes a few years of her. I also think it showed more of the lighting. - Not that I know anything just my taste :)

look forward to seeing the pull back.

cheers

Thanks all, I think these pointers and comments really helped. We had a fantastic shoot, easily my all time favourite. I've only edited one image so far, but I'm really liking what I have. I'll post a new thread to track the progress of my mammoth editing task!

Back