Tarn Hows Sunset

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Got to Tarn Hows late to get a decent wide angle composition set up, so waited for the meerkat workshop group of photographers standing on the rock to move the second the light stopped hitting the foreground and got myself a vantage point to shoot the colourful bits of sky with the 70-200mm. The departing workshop commented that it was too dark to take anymore pictures. I thought I'd want my money back if I was in your group!

Tarn Hows Sunset by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking C & C welcome.

The last for me. The reflection makes the image that bit more interesting. I'd have loved to have seen some light in the 3rd shot as I think it would bring it to life a bit more.

Whilst its not too dark to take images, I think the course leader had them pack up at the right time. Light would really help these IMHO.

Last edited:
Three very nice shots Craig, no fav's I like them all very much.(y)

George.

Three very nice shots Craig, no fav's I like them all very much.(y)

George.

Thanks George.

The last for me. The reflection makes the image that bit more interesting. I'd have loved to have seen some light in the 3rd shot as I think it would bring it to life a bit more.

Whilst its not too dark to take images, I think the course leader had them pack up at the right time. Light would really help these IMHO.

Thanks Steve, I fully take your point and wish they did. It was my fault for not getting there in good time to suss the location and get set up. Having said that I am pleased with what I was getting elsewhere before I came here...I have added some shots with the light for you, and others to see. Whilst it is beautiful light I don't think I got it quite right, the telephoto has a broken reflection and not enough separation of the Langdale Pikes on the top right for my liking. The 3/4 backlit larch shot I like, but the rock in the foreground seems a tad soft, although this may be down to overexposure of the red channel which I could cure if I wanted. Couple more other ones on my flickr too in light.

My point about the photo group was they were all standing there facing the same direction with the same looking lenses taking the same shot, which I guess in the light below was quite nice. But my point stands, if I was paying to be taken out and taught how to take pictures I would want to be encouraged to work with light in all its guises. The earlier light is not the same as the later light in my shots above with the colours in the sky and muted tones in the trees being lit by reflected skylight. One of the things we have all learnt is never pack up too early, and I feel they will only have gone away with one shot. Staying later, with a digital camera on a tripod that can take pictures by moonlight in my mind was the right decision to get something different and not chocolate box.

Tarn Hows Golden Hour by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Tarn Hows Golden Hour by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Last edited:
your no 3 in the first set stand alone
no need to comment on the others as well

i like a smaller panel...pick your best three

cheers
geof

Aye, the first series is composed earlier but give me that light of the second lot. An extreme letter box crop of the 1st image in your reply to my post in ratio like 3:1 taken from the top the trees from the island to the top is the one to have and the others are a good lesson in location scouting for you.

Nice Shots Craig.
2 and 3 from the first batch...
No 2 Lovely light in the clouds and across the range behind, this would also take a letter box crop by taking some of sky away as much as i hate to remove a nice colourful sky.
My only other OCD related comment is the fallen tree in the bottom RH corner, just bugs me a little.
No 3 this is nice, pity the light wasn't fully with you however there is something to be said for the muted light, and those trees in the immediate foreground being softly lit. The singular tree (Birch?) slightly apart and standing front and center is nice.

Nice light though the last 2. In the first of the second series i can see @ST4 crop, equally you can flip that and crop the top off which is an alternative albeit not as good as the top because of the wayward top of the pine tree right of center at the bottom edge.
Second of the last series, is nice, the side/back lit larch is lovely.

As for the light I would tend to agree, if your tutoring, my view is you should shoot in all lighting conditions for many reasons. Lets face it, if the lights great, then the challenge of getting a great shot is less. Trying to get a great shot in flat light, (Was going to say also peeing with rain and blowing a hooly, but that would be a coastal shooting) that is a challenge!
The challenges associated with taking a good landscape shot with blank and boring landscape and flat light that IMHO is the important thing to learn.
I think learning about light, and composition is probably the most important thing. Its impressive how some photographers handle adverse light and conditions, and were all faced with that often enough.If you have just driven 100 miles and your location is plagued with crap light you need to know how and what to shoot to salvage something.

Just my 2d;)

As for the light I would tend to agree, if your tutoring, my view is you should shoot in all lighting conditions for many reasons. Lets face it, if the lights great, then the challenge of getting a great shot is less. Trying to get a great shot in flat light, (Was going to say also peeing with rain and blowing a hooly, but that would be a coastal shooting) that is a challenge!
The challenges associated with taking a good landscape shot with blank and boring landscape and flat light that IMHO is the important thing to learn.
I think learning about light, and composition is probably the most important thing. Its impressive how some photographers handle adverse light and conditions, and were all faced with that often enough.If you have just driven 100 miles and your location is plagued with crap light you need to know how and what to shoot to salvage something.

Just my 2d;)

I find this comment very interesting in ideals and approach. I tend to previsulise a scene and arrive with the idea of the light I want according to the forecast.

I personally don't wish to challenge myself to taking images in dull conditions, aesthetically they do nothing for me no matter how well they are composed.

An anaology is If I cook a meal I want to cook it with the best quality incredients possible. What I don't do is buy the cheapest meat, cheapest bargain spuds/veg and try and set a challenge to myself to make it to taste as good a meal as if I bought fillet, fresh veg etc. I don't see the point. Why buy cheap poor quality food to try make an excellent meal if you can buy good quality fresh food and work with that instead

The same applies in my view to photography, why go out of your way to shoot in bad/dull/boring conditions when there are plenty of more interesting conditions out there to take landscape images. To me it is a futile, pointless challenge. I'd rather leave the camera in the bag, and return when its better if the conditions don't play ball. 100 miles is no distance to drive anyway.

Edit, whats happened here is I think Craig has a really nicely lit shot that needs a crop and should have gone home a bit earlier. Or composed the way he did later, earlier. A return trip next Autumn with those colours and its sorted.

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong Steve, i completely agree (on most of your comments). Where we may differ in thoughts a little is probably down to our individuals circumstances.

While i agree... 100 miles may not be considered far to drive for some (and actually its not as i spend half my life on motorways) Where the major issue lies is time!
For example, working 14-15 hour days 5 and sometimes 6 days a week means that time is at an absaloute premium. So photography for some is a dream, and probably why drawing a blank after driving 100 miles is nothing short of a bloody pain. The number of times i have done this is beyond count, as i'm sure is the case for many. Its the pain we accept and endure for being a landscape photographer. I'm dead sure i am not anything like unique in this, more like typical i guess.

why go out of your way to shoot in bad/dull/boring conditions when there are plenty of more interesting conditions out there to take landscape images.
I was not suggesting that one would purposely seek to shoot in bad/dull/boring conditions, unless perhaps if you were tutoring, you may wish to demonstrate how one might handle such conditions or highlight the difference between shooting in good light and poor light.

"when there are plenty of more interesting conditions out there to take landscape images" Indeed, if you are fortunate enough to have the time to devote every weekend to photography.

I deeply envy those that live within spitting distance (100miles or less ;)) of fantastic landscapes, something I'd give my eye teeth for. Maybe when they finally let me retire eh!:rolleyes:

I know we all strive for perfection its natural isn't it, I mean why would you spend an arm and a leg (and another leg and other bits of my body) on equipment and not want to strive for perfection. All i'm saying is for those that have to squeeze photography into "Life" its not always possible to shoot in the ideal conditions we'd all wish for. Naturally i wouldn't advocate we shoot in crap conditions but those less fortunate might not get the opportunity to shoot in the conditions they'd like. Then its down to your own call.

The following maybe the point i was trying to make in the sentence of mine you highlighted.... In less than favorable conditions, do you consider the conditions and shoot the waterfall close up where you can still produce a good shot or struggle with an open landscape with flat light? Or do you just go home empty handed again, knowing that it was your only free weekend for the next 3 months (slight exaggeration there, 2 months)?
BUT imagine a novice photographer if they, for example had not been taught or learnt that there were alternatives if the light wasn't stupendous, is that fair? Is that tutor then just going to teach "only bother to get your camera out mate if it looks like this" IMHO he or she wouldn't be a good tutor.

At least your visit produced some work Craig (y) its always a lottery especially when you have not been to the location before, that is a challenge, you can look as much as you like on OS maps and google earth and plan as well as you can, the rest and the weather is in the lap of the gods. I guess at least you had a good recce of the area as Steve said so your fully loaded for next time...

I feel i really have to apologise to Craig for hijacking his post .... sorry mate:(

BTW any room up there for an old sassenach when i retire Steve?

Steve, just come up here and shoot all the time. Its mega.
Your on my bucket list mate!;)(y)
I will get round to planning a holiday up there and we'll have to have a few wee drams together(y)

Your on my bucket list mate!;)(y)
I will get round to planning a holiday up there and we'll have to have a few wee drams together(y)

I'm going to get you to embrace light and reflections if it is the last thing I do :D

Just let me know when you are coming, will be happy to show your the sites etc.

Great shots mate. Really like them :)

your no 3 in the first set stand alone
no need to comment on the others as well

i like a smaller panel...pick your best three

cheers
geof

Aye, the first series is composed earlier but give me that light of the second lot. An extreme letter box crop of the 1st image in your reply to my post in ratio like 3:1 taken from the top the trees from the island to the top is the one to have and the others are a good lesson in location scouting for you.

Thanks guys, Steve, that is a good suggestion. Wish I had of envisaged that crop when I was taking it, I would have framed slightly more sky too.

Nice Shots Craig.
2 and 3 from the first batch...
No 2 Lovely light in the clouds and across the range behind, this would also take a letter box crop by taking some of sky away as much as i hate to remove a nice colourful sky.
My only other OCD related comment is the fallen tree in the bottom RH corner, just bugs me a little.
No 3 this is nice, pity the light wasn't fully with you however there is something to be said for the muted light, and those trees in the immediate foreground being softly lit. The singular tree (Birch?) slightly apart and standing front and center is nice.

Nice light though the last 2. In the first of the second series i can see @ST4 crop, equally you can flip that and crop the top off which is an alternative albeit not as good as the top because of the wayward top of the pine tree right of center at the bottom edge.
Second of the last series, is nice, the side/back lit larch is lovely.

Just my 2d;)

Thanks Steve, I was in two minds about the silver birch bottom right in the second shot. I'd normally clone it out but it was pointing into the frame so I left it this time! Interesting discussion and no need to apologise at all, I enjoyed reading your points, and Steves too.

some lovely shots Craig. See your using the 20mm art. How you finding it?

Love it Rich, sharp lens, great for astro. Don't like the weight of the thing though, but having said that when I did drop it and the bulbous front element smashed into some stones on a beach it didn't mark at all, well made!

Thanks guys, Steve, that is a good suggestion. Wish I had of envisaged that crop when I was taking it, I would have framed slightly more sky too.

Thanks Steve, I was in two minds about the silver birch bottom right in the second shot. I'd normally clone it out but it was pointing into the frame so I left it this time! Interesting discussion and no need to apologise at all, I enjoyed reading your points, and Steves too.

Love it Rich, sharp lens, great for astro. Don't like the weight of the thing though, but having said that when I did drop it and the bulbous front element smashed into some stones on a beach it didn't mark at all, well made!

Nice mate. Sounds like a winner. Been looking at some of the Art series primes with interest. I have days when neither me, my Zeiss or my 24-70 get on and then other days they both perform perfectly (tells you it's probably user error). My 14-24 never lets me down but I refuse to by A4 sized filters for it.

Back