Captive Tawny Owl

big soft moose

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...
Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Interested on thoughts on this - its a captive shot (at BWC) but rather than capturing yet another straight on portrait I thought i'd try something different and shoot through the trees
and may be get a bit of a wilder feeling (though i have no intention of pretending that it's anything other than the set up it is)

It was overcast and raining intermittently so the light wasn't great (hence the noise)
IMG_2447lr.JPG

Seeing without being seen… it failed, you got it!
My thoughts?
• I'd like to conclude that you have a cool attitude when hunting since you can
catch this!
• I also think that the colours are too "pasty" possibly by being too enthusiastic
with the saturation slider.

Seeing without being seen… it failed, you got it!
My thoughts?
• I'd like to conclude that you have a cool attitude when hunting since you can
catch this!
• I also think that the colours are too "pasty" possibly by being too enthusiastic
with the saturation slider.

Thanks for the feedback

I'd like to take the compliment , but as i said its captive - if i could catch this with a wild owl i'd be more than happy - ref the colours this is SOOC , with no processing applied as yet

It is very rare to see SOOC/unprocessed pictures here!
I appreciate your honesty

If this was my shot Pete ,this is how I would attempt to process the image ,I have done a slight lift on the exposure ,set the black and white levels with a second adjustment to the whites to suit my taste, adjusted the white balance by bringing the red and green channel to match the blue ,unsharp mask and selective noise reduction, it may not be to everyone's taste but I think it gives a true representation of the tawny owl...as said Pete just my take on it ed (1 of 1).jpg

thanks for your feedback den - you are definitely right about the WB, i'll be sorting that in post (although irritatingly I've shot this whole day in jpeg fine rather than raw - finger trouble), i think you might have overdone the USM though as your edit is a little too over sharpened for my taste

thanks for your feedback den - you are definitely right about the WB, i'll be sorting that in post (although irritatingly I've shot this whole day in jpeg fine rather than raw - finger trouble), i think you might have overdone the USM though as your edit is a little too over sharpened for my taste
It was a tad difficult not to go a touch extra on the sharpening ,possibly due to damp feathers ,as said may not be to everyone's taste ,plus you could do a lot more eye work but I don't like doing to much on the eyes

owls are supposed to be soft and fluffy - they aren't a cactus :LOL:

but yes i agree some sharpening is needed on the original, just possibly a bit less than the second

Back