Tay estuary

Having pondered this for a few minutes........ I think it looks a little better if the bottom darker band is cropped by approx 50%. Though the band/area looks small compared to the whole frame IMO it drags the eye down and there is a lot of 'interest' in the rest of the frame, so pity to pull the viewers attention to that darker area and away from the rest.

Ta for the suggestions folks - I'm very definitely not a landscape photographer

Ta for the suggestions folks - I'm very definitely not a landscape photographer

Smacked wrist for being (so) negative ;)

IMO (other than my suggestion of a slight crop) is well considered and composed image......I would have been pleased to have seen that scene and captured it as well as you have......but then I don't do much landscape/seascape photography :LOL:

I would say it is in the wrong section myself

Having pondered this for a few minutes........ I think it looks a little better if the bottom darker band is cropped by approx 50%. Though the band/area looks small compared to the whole frame IMO it drags the eye down and there is a lot of 'interest' in the rest of the frame, so pity to pull the viewers attention to that darker area and away from the rest.

I agree with these comments.
I have actually spent quite a while looking are your shot and that testifies to it "grabbing" me somehow. I have come to the conclusion that the picture is actually rather unusual and very subtle. The longer I look at that shot the more it grows on me.
It is a shot that would do well if printed large, mounted on a wall in a dimly lit room AND illuminated by a slightly warm light.
Well done :)

I agree with these comments.
I have actually spent quite a while looking are your shot and that testifies to it "grabbing" me somehow. I have come to the conclusion that the picture is actually rather unusual and very subtle. The longer I look at that shot the more it grows on me.
It is a shot that would do well if printed large, mounted on a wall in a dimly lit room AND illuminated by a slightly warm light.
Well done :)
Thanks arclight - reason I posted it was the fact it was subtle - there was no planning at all on my part. I was down at the sea/estuary front to take a completely different pic which worked out reasonable but not as good as I imaged it might - while waiting for the light to change I happened to spot this in a different direction, wasn't sure how it would look when photographed but I like the result - not at all my usual thing.

I think it's too dark and several stops under. I'd crop the entire land off just going for sea and sky - with the required extra exposure to keep the whites in the moon not blown - and then a curves adjustment to add some brightness overall

I think it's too dark and several stops under. I'd crop the entire land off just going for sea and sky - with the required extra exposure to keep the whites in the moon not blown - and then a curves adjustment to add some brightness overall
Ta for your opinion

It is most definitely very very dark, and also the tonal range is fairly strongly compressed or crushed outside of the moon. These sort of shots should be ideally done with more ambient light still available, where you can easily have much more normal exposure without the use of advanced HDR and blending techniques. I could imagine this being a vivid, contrasty and significantly brighter shot and that would look OK.

It is most definitely very very dark, and also the tonal range is fairly strongly compressed or crushed outside of the moon. These sort of shots should be ideally done with more ambient light still available, where you can easily have much more normal exposure without the use of advanced HDR and blending techniques. I could imagine this being a vivid, contrasty and significantly brighter shot and that would look OK.
Ta for your opinion

Back