Team photos - hints and tips?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've been asked if I could take a team photo for my local football club.

This takes me a bit out of my comfort zone - up to now I've been doing action shots and sharing a few decent images with them each match, so there hasn't been any pressure!

I think they will organise the setting up of the team etc, so I just need to worry about getting a decent shot.

I've got a Canon 1d IV and a Canon 6d, plus Canon 24-105 f4 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 lenses. I was planning to use the 1d and 24-105; does that sound right?

I'd really appreciate any hints or tips so I can be as well prepared as possible.

Many thanks!

most of mine would be the setup.. but if they are doing that.... then.....

take multiple pics from different angles... from the left and right.. from low middle and high.... try putting camera on floor and pointing up for ultra low angle (but set exposure first as a lots of sky will appear big in background... your going to have to talk to the players.. emphasis the importance of the pic and how they all have to come back and do it again if any rabits or little mouse appears (two fingers above head or bits sticking out of shorts) they will also try hand on other persons knee stuff like that...worse than kids realy and just as short an attention span

one thing i do at my local club is a get it out of your system pic... get everyone to pull a face or do summat daft.. makes a fun pic and..gets it out of there system :)

they may be setting it up but your responsible for a good picture.... background is obviously important... try not to let them set it up in goalmouth.. thats for 7 yr olds and plays havoc with straight lines.....make sure players know not to wear tee shirts under kit as they show at neckline... when putting players in lineup try and get the ones with black or dark boots on the front line.. one pair of orange boots sticks out like a sore thumb.. obviously a symetrical setup is important..

without knowing any more details its hard to advise

Hi

I've been asked if I could take a team photo for my local football club.

This takes me a bit out of my comfort zone - up to now I've been doing action shots and sharing a few decent images with them each match, so there hasn't been any pressure!

I think they will organise the setting up of the team etc, so I just need to worry about getting a decent shot.

I've got a Canon 1d IV and a Canon 6d, plus Canon 24-105 f4 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 lenses. I was planning to use the 1d and 24-105; does that sound right?

I'd really appreciate any hints or tips so I can be as well prepared as possible.

Many thanks!

I know that feeling. I prefer just taking action shots too.
The couple of times I have taken team pictures I have used the same combo of 1D MK IV and a 24-105mm f4 plus taken my flash just incase it was needed to fill in shadows on the players faces. When I have been asked it has been before the games but I made sure with the manager to allow plenty of time before the team warmed up so I could get everything organised. The better you are organised beforehand the better so it will go smoothly. If you are going to have the front row seated make sure everyone is sat in the same way i.e. hands on knees with feet apart or whatever is uniform. The same for the players stood behind and make sure the shirt sponsors logo are clearly visible otherwise they won't be happy. If you can get the players on each row roughly the same height it looks better but that is not always possible. From my experience the players have short attention spans and they sometimes try to muck about so don't be frightened to tell them off if needed. Get rid of any distractions like training tops or boots etc left either behind or in front of the players, it doesn't look good. The actual taking of the pictures shouldn't take long if you are prepared. I use back button focusing and shoot AF mode to high speed continuous shooting and take short burst to try and avoid players blinking. Someone will blink at some stage but by shooting this way you should get one good one if you are lucky.
I must say that I am a pure amateur and others on here have more experience than me. Try not to rush if that makes sense as when you are flustered you'll make mistakes.
Good luck.

Personally I wouldn't let them organise anything other than getting the guys to the location. Pick the spot yourself, then arrange the players yourself. That puts you in control and allows you to make sure things look symmetrical. If you are going for a more traditional looking squad photo then you will want to organise guys by height. Tallest in the middle then working down to the smallest guys standing on either end. I'm pretty strict with trying to keep symmetry in colour as well. This means placing goalkeepers, non playing staff and generally anyone not wearing a kit so that they balance with someone wearing the same hing on the other half of the photo. Don't be afraid to move people around or tell people to move rows etc. When it's one team I tend to like having two rows with the back row having more people than the front.

Make sure you take control and make sure that the manager etc is onside with you. I had a club photo consisting of 100+ players once and it was very useful to have the director of football keeping tabs on people who were messing around. They know the names of the players etc and quickly assert authority to regain control.

Personally I wouldn't let them organise anything other than getting the guys to the location..

exactly.right... . as i said your responsible for getting a decent pic.. if you have it in you (your confident enough) then take over and you tell everyone what to do rather than be expected to just turn up and go click :)

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll bear all that in mind. I get on quite well with the club and players so I should be able to take a bit more control of the set-up etc.

I'm pretty sure I'll still be quite nervous but if I can get something decent enough, the experience will help me get better for the next time and the time after that.

Here's one I took last season. A really bright sunny day so shadows everywhere. Without lights it was difficult to get something half decent.. Even when I look at it afterwards there's always room for improvement. Socks, height and shadows etc.

I like the idea of showing the staff & players names, as people will look at the photo in years to come when it's framed and hanging in the clubhouse.

Attachments

• Team_Image_2_A.jpg
    Team_Image_2_A.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 71
I am another who hates the Team picture along with of course the head & shoulder shot of each player. I always ask the club how they want the picture and where. So far every year has been the same 2 rows, front seated back & stood up in front of the main stand although they are not bothered to get much of the stand in. Before the day of the picture i go through it with the manager so he knows where/how i want the players, i also have the General manager alongside me with his responsibility being to watch the players and make sure they are all behaving and are how they should be, socks, no pulling faces, etc. I will get a few frames off as they are setting up to see the exposure etc, and also get a few frames off with different settings whilst telling the general manager to make sure everyone is looking at me that way i have a few pictures in the bag before the squad know it. Give me the wet freezing tuesday night Reserves games instead of the team pictures any day.

Worst thing has to be when the sponsors name on the stand dictates shooting in one direction only....

You can make team/headshots more fun as well... for yourself and the team :)
Sure, you might have to take the standard image.. just to please certain parts of the organisation.
But most players (any level - any sport) are game for something different, if you have the confidence to suggest it.

So if you're fed up with the bog standard stuff... think outside the box and make it more interesting for everyone involved.

they may be setting it up but your responsible for a good picture.... background is obviously important... try not to let them set it up in goalmouth.. thats for 7 yr olds and plays havoc with straight lines.....make sure players know not to wear tee shirts under kit as they show at neckline... when putting players in lineup try and get the ones with black or dark boots on the front line.. one pair of orange boots sticks out like a sore thumb.. obviously a symetrical setup is important..

Did a team photo for my mates team yesterday and I'm pretty sure I've ticked all these no-nos :LOL:.

It was cold, wet and I was only being paid a pint... Sure they'll not really care though. :beer:

Back