Beginner Tele lens.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
HI guys, I,m in the process of trying to find a tele zoom lees for wildlife photography. my set up is canon 5d. Would you say stick with canon or use a third party lens? My reasons for asking is I,m pretty much new to photograph. Cheers

Depends on your budget and what lens (s) you have at the moment.

Sigma make some Incredible long lenses like the 150-600.
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of those again if the need arose.

Ive looked at the canon 100-400 and sigmas 60-600 and 150-600.I was looking for a bit of advise. I,ve got a budget of around £1500.

Do you feel you have to stick with Canon?

For the money you could buy a low mileage Nikon D7200 and a new Sigma 150-600c. I've said this before but for around £1300 you'd struggle to get anything better for birds/wildlife on a budget, a combo I used for nearly 4 years.

I've no experience of Canon but have a couple of birding mates, both switched to Nikon as a cheap alternative with the 150-600c, both have been very impressed, especially at higher ISO which can be essential when keeping the shutter speed up.

I've loads of photos taken with this combo @ ISO 5000/8000 and higher, if you'd like to see a few examples let me know.

Personally, I got the 60-600 and am very happy with it. It is as sharp as the Canon 100-400 at 400/8, and very close to as sharp at 600/6.3 which the Canon lens can't do... that can be very significant because you are using a FF sensor. But it is also heavier; and when you combine that with the greater magnification at 600mm it is that much harder to use well. I personally would not get any of the 150-600 offerings unless the price difference justified/required it.

Hi and welcome to TP

The Canon 5D3 is a superb all rounder and I used mine for a while with the Canon 100-400mm MK2. The files are clean and crop very well........but the max of 400mm on such a full frame body is limiting!

FWIW I got tired of lugging the weight around for the bare minimum of wildlife reach.

I switched to the Olympus mFT system for a lighter load and greater smaller sensor 'reach'. And have only last month sold my 5D3 and last of the Canon gear.

Were I starting again with full frame I would not hesitate to buy Sigma to get to a minimum of 500mm but more likely 600mm focal length, at better 'bang per buck' than I could afford with Canon Tele primes of 500mm or more.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 150-600 C lens and I am very pleased with it. Its works very well on my Canon EOS 80D - there is no need to switch to Nikon to use this lens!

Taken with the sigma 150-600mm C at 600mm or near enough on a nikon d700
Its a ridiculously sharp lens for the money.

Thanks guys for your advise, much appreciate. The sigma range of teles seem a better choice per value!! I,ll let you know how I get on. Cheers

I have a couple of posts about the Sigma 60-600 on here:

Last edited:
I tend to stick with same brand as camera to ensure maximum compatibility . I've had a few disappointments over the years by buying 3rd party lenses .
Only exception is where camera maker doesn't have a model to my specs of focal length etc or their price is outside my budget league .
While Canon do have an impressive array of lenses , there was a Tamron lens (200–500) I bought few years ago , that Canon's offerings didn't quite fit the bill at the time . It's perfectly sized for my needs , fully compatible for autofocus and autoexposure operation, and cost an appreciable fraction of even the nearest Canon product at the time .

Back