Teleconverter with Canon MPE65 mm

I can confirm it works! I use a canon 1.4 mark III which will connect directly to the lens (i'm not 100% sure earlier models will), and it will certainly help with your mite shots. What size are the maggots? Would have thought they'd be big enough for the MP-E on it's own.

With the teleconverter I get up to around 7X magnification, and the usual reduction in DoF and light transfer apply...

I can confirm it works! I use a canon 1.4 mark III which will connect directly to the lens (i'm not 100% sure earlier models will), and it will certainly help with your mite shots. What size are the maggots? Would have thought they'd be big enough for the MP-E on it's own.

With the teleconverter I get up to around 7X magnification, and the usual reduction in DoF and light transfer apply...
Actually I was not clear about the maggots, I want to get close ups of them.
One question does the minimum focusing distance decrease at all?

Actually I was not clear about the maggots, I want to get close ups of them.
One question does the minimum focusing distance decrease at all?
The teleconverter basically multiplies everything in front by it's factor, and the key to minimum focusing distance is focal length. The additional focal length gives you a bit more to play with (it's why I use a teleconverter alongside extension tubes as it counteracts the reduced working distance created by the tubes). With a 2X teleconverter on the MP-E you can get 5X magnification at twice the focal distance of the MP-E on it's own, or 10X magnification at the same working distance as the bare MP-E at 5X magnification.

I haven't tried the 2X teleconverter as I had some concerns about IQ degradation (I only used it as an example above as it makes the maths easier). The Canon Mark III is supposed to be pretty good though, so I might try and get hold of one at some stage. The 1.4 is probably the safer option.

Edit: Here are some good examples, http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/Macro-telecon.htm

Last edited:
The teleconverter basically multiplies everything in front by it's factor, and the key to minimum focusing distance is focal length. The additional focal length gives you a bit more to play with (it's why I use a teleconverter alongside extension tubes as it counteracts the reduced working distance created by the tubes). With a 2X teleconverter on the MP-E you can get 5X magnification at twice the focal distance of the MP-E on it's own, or 10X magnification at the same working distance as the bare MP-E at 5X magnification.

I haven't tried the 2X teleconverter as I had some concerns about IQ degradation (I only used it as an example above as it makes the maths easier). The Canon Mark III is supposed to be pretty good though, so I might try and get hold of one at some stage. The 1.4 is probably the safer option.

Edit: Here are some good examples, http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/Macro-telecon.htm
Thank you that is what I hoped would be the case - the current minimum distance is too close as it is.

Back