Tesla Roadster

I think it will be much better and certainly more versatile to have a hybrid where the engine isn't connected to the drivetrain but just acts as a generator to recharge the battery.

I allways thought the same as well, why duplicate all the bits and gearbox etc.
Diesel electric trains have been doing that for years.
I have been thinking for a while why haven't we got a good sized battery pack and a small petrol engine that is optimised to generate leccy.

I'm surprised they haven't made a cheaper more realistic car that would appeal and be more affordable to the masses.
They need to sort out their production issues first, don't they?

I allways thought the same as well, why duplicate all the bits and gearbox etc.
Diesel electric trains have been doing that for years.
I have been thinking for a while why haven't we got a good sized battery pack and a small petrol engine that is optimised to generate leccy.

Like Nissan have announced, you mean?

Nissan has announced that it’s bringing its e-POWER series hybrid system to market. The Nissan Note e-POWER will be the first mass-production compact segment car ever to be equipped with a series hybrid system.

e-POWER adds a small petrol engine to charge the high-output battery when necessary, eliminating the need for an external charger while offering the same high-output.

The e-POWER system features full electric motor drive, meaning that the wheels are completely driven by the electric motor. In conventional hybrid systems, a low-output electric motor is mated to a petrol engine to drive the wheels when the battery is low (or when travelling at high speeds). However, in the e-POWER system, the petrol engine is not connected to the wheels; it simply charges the battery. And unlike a full EV, the power source originates from the engine and not just the battery

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/2016/11/nissan-e-power/

I think they are doing the right thing for their business and that is to make a premium product to compete at the upper end of the market with the premium pollution gang with loads of spare cash.
making a budget version a the moment will be competeing with very cheap and trusted technology at the moment.
you will not persuade people to jump from pollution to lectric if the cost is the same, it has to be better and to offer more.

True I forgot that. Better to continue just making overpriced cars the masses can't afford. Not so many people to keep waiting then.

Not many companies have long waiting lists for their products and even fewer car manufacturers. Morgan and Tesla are the only 2 (sub £100,000) that spring to mind.

Not many companies have long waiting lists for their products and even fewer car manufacturers. Morgan and Tesla are the only 2 (sub £100,000) that spring to mind.
Tesla is down to having a backlog because they just can't seem to get the hang of getting their factories set up and running on time. Morgan are handbuilt and only have 177 employees building the cars. No idea if they are still pushing the cars by hand across the road from one building to another. Whilst waiting has been as long as 10yrs, Google seems to think waiting lists are at 6 months. You can wait 5 months or more for a Focus ST, 6 months or more for a Focus RS unless you are fortunate enough that a dealer has a cancelled order that hasn't been started yet and you can have that build slot.

Can't wait for the quality of the model 3 and s to filter down to an "affordable" car; We're getting there, projected 40k for a model 3 is certainly on its way.. hopefully in 2 years or so when I'm getting itchy feet there will be something about.. Even a model s if it drops a tad more; currently around the 40k mark used..

My mate won a Tesla for 24hrs and bought it round last night. All I can say is wow! Nice inside and amazing tech. The power is just crazy!! As it is a demo car it is capped to 85mph, but the acceleration is amazing. Standing start to 60 in the blink of an eye. Very smooth, and it feels just like being in a rollercoaster. Her has worked as senior tech for BMW and Merc and driven some very fast, nice cars but this beats even those. Price aside, I would love one.

My mate won a Tesla for 24hrs and bought it round last night. All I can say is wow! Nice inside and amazing tech. The power is just crazy!! As it is a demo car it is capped to 85mph, but the acceleration is amazing. Standing start to 60 in the blink of an eye. Very smooth, and it feels just like being in a rollercoaster. Her has worked as senior tech for BMW and Merc and driven some very fast, nice cars but this beats even those. Price aside, I would love one.

Which one? I've been in a Tesla S, had a quick go. The X looks interesting with the doors

Neither can the Chiron. At full tilt it’s supposed to empty the fuel tank in 12 minutes! The Tesla won’t be be worse with a 200kwh battery pack.
McLaren SLR at max chat would have about 20mins. Even my car at Castle Coombe trackday goes through a tankful quickly (5-6mpg)

These are maximums though, performance figures. The real interesting one there is the 600 mile range possible, which means 300-400 in real driving with a heavy right foot. Couple that with a decently quick recharge time and the electric car becomes a valid possibility, i.e. drive 200-300 miles then stop for a wee break and a coffee while the car charges for 20-30mins.

I would question how many people are competent enough to drive a car like that.
I have had fast bikes and fastish cars in the past, and completed laps of Brands, but those performance figures are something else. They are going to be purchased mainly by very rich people, and to be honest, I think that a lot of them are going to be totalled.

I would question how many people are competent enough to drive a car like that.
I have had fast bikes and fastish cars in the past, and completed laps of Brands, but those performance figures are something else. They are going to be purchased mainly by very rich people, and to be honest, I think that a lot of them are going to be totalled.

Possibly. There's a lot of driver aids, the acceleration is used away from the lights, or on track. I was at Shakespere raceway when a standard tesla S was playing against some exotic prepared kit and was beating them hands down.
As you'll know with fast cars and fast bikes, it's rare that you use the performance. You just don't get baited because you have nothing to prove, you know how fast it is.

Possibly. There's a lot of driver aids, the acceleration is used away from the lights, or on track. I was at Shakespere raceway when a standard tesla S was playing against some exotic prepared kit and was beating them hands down.
As you'll know with fast cars and fast bikes, it's rare that you use the performance. You just don't get baited because you have nothing to prove, you know how fast it is.

Tunnels still sound quite nice in the right car.
I don't care how quick the Tesla is, because it will never compete with something like this IMHO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxF9vFJezRA

Money and practicality no object, I'd go for the E-Type but in real life, I'd go for a Tesla S.

As a slight aside, I've been looking for an electric bike (moped type rather than push bike) but can't find anything locally. :( Seen a fair few on holiday (mostly charged for free using solar panels - the joys of the Southern Med!!!) but rather less common here in the UK. Closest dealers seem to be 100 miles away or so (Brum or Lungdung) which is a touch too far to go for a speculative test ride.

Sammy Miller Vanishing point rocket car 0-317 mph in 1.7 seconds. 0-386 mph in 3.58 econds in the 1980's no car has ever accellerated quicker. He did six 3 second 350 mph quarter mile passess in Vanishing Point.View attachment 114842

TOP TRUMP.

'Slamin Sammy Miller' I saw him with his first rocket car at Santa Pod in the 60s, it was impressive then!
I use to run with another driver (and pal) in two Foden 8 Leggers and we took them down the track a couple of times!
Love the Tesla though, I pressed the 'Reserve' but bottled out at the last minute! Yeh, right.

Turns out if you want a Tesla Roadster whilst the production is limited to 1000 cars, potential owners are required to place a $250,000 deposit and you are not going to see your car for around 2 years.. Musk is desperately trying to raise funds, because at the rate they are currently burning through money, they could be bankrupt by next August.
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/comp...odel-3-woes/ar-BBFzBcW?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=AARDHP

Thanks for that, Dave. I think I've seen them in the course of my research but discounted them since they're more pushbike than "proper" bike - a top speed of 25km/h just won't cut it for me, even for just popping down into town or up to the supermarket.

Those are the ones legally classified as a bicycle, they also do those classified as mopeds (ie DVLA registration, wearing a motorcycle helmet) for similar money.

30mph speed, 0-30 in 5 seconds

https://eriderbikes.com/model-30-moda/

Or even a model capable of 62mph

https://eriderbikes.com/model-60/

Thanks even more for that, Dave. Food for thought! I have a full bike license so could ride either but Mrs Nod would need CBT to ride the 62 MPH one. Since it would be purely for nipping into town, the 30 one would be ideal, I reckon.

Thanks even more for that, Dave. Food for thought! I have a full bike license so could ride either but Mrs Nod would need CBT to ride the 62 MPH one. Since it would be purely for nipping into town, the 30 one would be ideal, I reckon.

No problem, I was considering one a while ago and they were recommended to me, the fact they’re designed and QC’ed in the UK was a big plus point over the more unknown Chinese imports.

With you there, although a friend in Crete who has a Chinese one has had no problems with it in over 2 years and uses it a fair bit.

I was hoping that there might be an eRider owner fairly close but the nearest is down in Cornwall. Not in any rush though so can wait until the Spring. By then, there might be a local dealer for a few different brands!

Neither can the Chiron. At full tilt it’s supposed to empty the fuel tank in 12 minutes! The Tesla won’t be be worse with a 200kwh battery pack.

LOL but you can fill up at any juice station for one and not the other...

I will wait for proper fuel cell....IF I am not dead by the time they arrive and are cheap enough, I suppose thats not going to be until the OIL industry has drilled.....Quick google

How many years of oil is left in the world?
BP raised its reserve estimate by 1.1% to 1,687.9 billion barrels, which is enough oil to last the world 53.3 years at the current production rates. However, there's likely a lot more oil left in the tank beyond what BP sees today.22 Jun 2014

50 years to go then...O WELL my son can buy one

Meanwhile I will keep getting my kicks in the ATOM, thats just had a charger fitted....Woop Woop...or should I say whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnneeeee.

LOL but you can fill up at any juice station for one and not the other...

I will wait for proper fuel cell....IF I am not dead by the time they arrive and are cheap enough, I suppose thats not going to be until the OIL industry has drilled.....Quick google

How many years of oil is left in the world?
BP raised its reserve estimate by 1.1% to 1,687.9 billion barrels, which is enough oil to last the world 53.3 years at the current production rates. However, there's likely a lot more oil left in the tank beyond what BP sees today.22 Jun 2014

50 years to go then...O WELL my son can buy one

Meanwhile I will keep getting my kicks in the ATOM, thats just had a charger fitted....Woop Woop...or should I say whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnneeeee.

It’s not really about the sum total of oil reserves, you can expect petrol to become extremely expensive (probably beyond the pocket of most people) long before it’s anywhere near exhausted.

Back