Testing a Huge SIGMA 170-500mm f5 Zoom --

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
a Lady Member of Brentwood Photographic Club bought a huge Sigma Zoom 170-500mm f5 NIKON fit and after finding she needed to go to The Gym to get get Muscles Up wanted to sell it to another Club Member but let me test it -- well it is really for 'Auto-Focus' but has a small 'Manual Focus' ring -- so I could use it on a FILM Nikon -- my Wife's Nikon FE that she never uses now so I have 'Taken it over'
It really must be used with a support of some kind -- I used a MONOPOD but still found it difficult to manage. When I focused correctly the results were sharp even at full aperture f5 . Then my friend from Club tried it on his 2 Digital Nikons and found it was ;Not Compatible for Auto -Focus' and as he suffers from 'Shaking Hands' could not use it after all.
Here are MY results on FUJI SUPERIA 200 ( should have been 400 ASA as many showed subject movement of the birds)
Testing a SIGMA 170-500mm f5 Nikon fit lens by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Last edited:
IIRC the 170-500 is screw driven so won't AF on all Nikon DSLRs. It should AF on any film AF Nikons though, I think they all had screw drivers.

Well done MFing it!

Mr NOD -- That must be the explanation ! I will pass it on to my Friends -- Thanks !

Sigma used to do a re.chip process but not sure if that applies

Pete, do you still have access to this, looking for a low budget moon buster on my Sony A7 with a dumb adaptor and this length would be great @ 500mm

john -- It belongs to a Lady member of Brentwood & District Photographic Club in NIKON fitting. She still HAS it.

Back