Testing new combo

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
Haven't been posting on Bird Forum for a few weeks, but I have now been out testing my new 1DXii + 400 f4 DOii combo + Extenders. All shots hand-held:

.....with x1.4 TC
1DXii, 560mm; ISO100, f5.6; 1/2000s

Greylag
B59I8309.jpg

Heavily cropped Blackwit
B59I8312.jpg

Uncropped Blackwit image
B59I8312-2.jpg

..... with a x2 TC
1DXii, 800mm; ISO125; f8; 1/400s
B59I8374.jpg

....so far I'm happy with overall performance.

Russ

Look forward to seeing more Russ ... looks like plenty of detail even with the 2x.

Look forward to seeing more Russ ... looks like plenty of detail even with the 2x.
The 1.4 looks really good. Maybe it's my screen or my eyes this late at night - but the x2 converter image looks off to me
Nice enough images - great combo Russ. Les :)
- Thanks for your thought and comments, guys! :)
- I was pleased with the handleability of the combo, even with the x2 TC, but I believe it's a little softer than the x1.4 (which is no surprise really). It is good to be able to access 800mm when I need to - but I may need more practice with the settings and holding technique at that focal length. :)

Russ

Do you have a gimbal head? I was really struggling with my 400 2.8 - but adding a wimberly gimbal head and gitzo tripod (it’s enormous) transformed my results with the lens.
You don’t have to get a wimberly head as they’re big money - but a solid gimbal will be eye opening at these focal lengths

- Thanks for your thought and comments, guys! :)
- I was pleased with the handleability of the combo, even with the x2 TC, but I believe it's a little softer than the x1.4 (which is no surprise really). It is good to be able to access 800mm when I need to - but I may need more practice with the settings and holding technique at that focal length. :)

Russ

I too have a new combo Sony a7Riii + Sony 200-600mm f6.3 G lens and I don't use my 1.4 tc as it stops my lens down to f9 ( 200-600mm f6.3)

On the Sony a7Riii I have set a custom button to engage crop sensor mode having 42.4 MP its still a useable image once cropped and it gives me 900mm at the long end of the lens

I'm still learning tips and tricks myself

Les :)

Do you have a gimbal head? I was really struggling with my 400 2.8 - but adding a wimberly gimbal head and gitzo tripod (it’s enormous) transformed my results with the lens.
You don’t have to get a wimberly head as they’re big money - but a solid gimbal will be eye opening at these focal lengths
- Thanks for your comments, but you probably haven't been following my quest for this particular combo in posts over the last 6 months ;)
- I'm of an age where I don't want to lug a tripod / gimbal around, and I've just moved from a 300 f2.8ii to a 400 f4 DO ii to give me better "reach", balance, and hand-holdability for my style of wildlife photography. The 1DXii is heavy, but combined with the 400 DO gives me the best Canon combo for my needs at the moment. :)

Russ

Back