Critique Tewkesbury Abbey

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to take the short trip up to Tewkesbury Abbey, after the sun and all the dogs had gone, it was quite nice being able to enjoy it all to myself.

Tewkesbury Abbey 1 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Second one is two exposures combined, one for the tower and a second for the sky/lower portion of the Abbey.The spotlights are a bit overbearing, but couldn't get them looking right. I'm still getting to grips with Photoshop and layers etc, so would be interested in how others would improve/do it differently.
Tewkesbury Abbey 2 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Cool lighting dynamic and rendition, convincing that is!

Thank you!

Would you have any tips on how to "fix" the spotlights illuminating the tower? I can't help think they're quite distracting. Thoughts?

With a quick tweak on a jpg (one could do better with the RAW!) I came to this:

belltowerpp.jpg

Tewkesbury-Abbey-rgm_-Flickr---Photo-Sharing.jpg A bit of a toned down sky to pull out the "searchlights". I did this quickly by cutting out the sky and layering the original sky and a dark blue night sky layer underneath - then blending together to create the sky of your choice. A little more work blending the edges of the trees in RAW would have made a better job - but you get the idea! If you want the Photoshop file to play with give me a shout. Great Photos by the way!!

Last edited:
It looks like you are using 2 different white balance settings for your different exposures. Check that you have them both set to the same setting, daylight is often a good white balance setting for night photography.

Thanks for the tips, folks, I appreciate it!
View attachment 49654 A bit of a toned down sky to pull out the "searchlights". I did this quickly by cutting out the sky and layering the original sky and a dark blue night sky layer underneath - then blending together to create the sky of your choice. A little more work blending the edges of the trees in RAW would have made a better job - but you get the idea! If you want the Photoshop file to play with give me a shout. Great Photos by the way!!

That looks great, and the kind of look I was going for - I'll have another play around with it, as like I say, I'm still getting to grips with layers/blending exposures so it's most definitely a work in progress.

Thanks again!

Both good shots but think the 2nd image in your first post with the light beams from the spot lights is very appealing, possibly just personal taste but I definitely prefer it with them in (y)

I like a bit of long exposure stuff miself, taking two exposure like this, one of a starry night sky, the other of the subject is something I've been going to get round to learning to do for the last 18 months and never got round to it:facepalm:....you've inspired me to have a look on youtube for a tutorial on layers (y)

Back