TFT Monitors

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Recently I heard that the reason TFT monitors can seem easier to look at is that they dont have refresh rates, they are simply either on or off, can anybody confirm or shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

Rich

They definately have refresh rates - the faster the better :)

Unless your CRT monitor refreshes at 60Hz or lower you won't see much of a difference. Most CRT monitors will refresh at faster than this depending on the resolution.

I could see a crt flickering at 60hz and just about at 75 so used to run it at 80 or 100.

This TFT is running at 60Hz and there is no hint of flicker. I find the TFT brighter but less tiring to look at for general use. When I was doing CAD a lot I found the CRT easier on the eyes - no idea why though :)

I believe the difference with TFT is that the whole screen refreshes at 60Hz, instead of CRT which is cycling through each line 60 times a second. I'm definitely converted to TFT, so much easier on the eyes, and I've never really had issues with colour rendition being worse on TFT.

A TFT only refreshes those pixels that need to change their state, as each pixel is permanently illuminated when in use. Unlike a CRT where the entire screen is refreshed because the phosphors begin to fade almost immediately.

This is why TFT require a lower refresh rate, because only areas of the image that change are refreshed, while your CRT will have to refresh the entire screen even if nothing changes in the projected image.

If that makes any sense.

A TFT only refreshes those pixels that need to change their state, as each pixel is permanently illuminated when in use. Unlike a CRT where the entire screen is refreshed because the phosphors begin to fade almost immediately.

This is why TFT require a lower refresh rate, because only areas of the image that change are refreshed, while your CRT will have to refresh the entire screen even if nothing changes in the projected image.

If that makes any sense.

Thats what I believe too. :)

Back