Thank You Talk Photography!

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
So I need to say a massive thanks to Talk Photography, here's a bit of the back story (I appreciate this might not be the right section for this, but It's where I spend most of time, with the people that have helped me so much) I signed up here in 2009 (7 years, Jesus) after buying a bridge camera in 2007.
I was producing some real epic stuff back then... seriously, AMAZING!

1. Massa testing tyres in 2008, back when they did that.... and you could go for free. I know what you're thinking, surely I should have won international acclaim for this kind of quality photographic masterpiece.

Massa
by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. I used Photoshop... A lot... (Ok, some things never change)

heikki 2

So anyway I joined up with delusions of greatness looking to upgrade my spectacular bridge camera for another bridge camera. Like a lot of people I thought yea, motorsport photographer thats a cool job, I'm great at that... let's show these folks how good I am. Then, after about a month in here, also like a lot of people, I realised I was an arrogant moron with no idea... :D
After a lot of advice from the community, and a F*** tonne of humility, I got a DSLR and tried to get better...

3. 2009, first trip out with a DSLR - a lot of Photoshop - Wonky angle (still doing that :( )

Europa Edit

4. 2012, last trip out with my first DSLR - Much less Photoshop (yup still wonky)

In the 4 year period spanned above, Talk Photography helped and inspired me... it was pretty much my sole resource for advice on what I should and shouldn't be doing. By this time I had a much better idea of how much work and effort it takes to do this seriously and how difficult it actually is. So a much less delusional approach to photography ensued, I upgraded my gear, just because I was actually enjoying motorsport photography as a hobby.

5. 2013, First time out with new DSLR - more wonky Photoshop (ok I still ignore some advice)
Trackspeed Porsche by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Then in 2014, thanks to the great people in the forums I got my first opportunity to go to the 'hallowed' other side of the fence...

6. 2014, MSVR - Trackside woooooooo hooooooooooo (7 years after thinking I could just walk into this job, what a massive goober!!!)
Shaun BALFE - Ferrari 458 GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2015 was crazy, again all thanks to this community...

7. 2015, Im next to an F1 driver, Im next to an F1 driver... I have no idea what I'm doing.. why did I think I could do this, Im an idiot hahahhaah
Felipe Massa by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

And now 2016... I got an email in January... This happened...

8. 2016, In print... It's happened... Someone thinks my work is good enough to show to other people, can't believe it... epic!
Digital Photographer by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

I know I'm not famous, I know I'm not the best photographer, I know there's people out there (and in here) that probably deserve this kind of thing much more than me. But this is my journey (up the ladder?) and its all thanks to this forum and the people who make up the motorsport photography community here. There's so many people to thank that have helped and/or inspired me through my years here, Andrew Cliffe, Gary Parravani, Desantnik, Paul Foster, Glen Coombes, ReinisB, Matt Sayle, Nick Dungan, Tom Loomes, Adam Pigott, James Gasperotti and George Smith to name just a few, legends, all of you!.

Talkphotography.co.uk and it's motorsport community are awesome!!! If you're new here, get involved... you never know how far it could take you!

Last edited:
Cracking images Jonathan, and well done.

I had a press pass in the 90's as I took photos for a local rag (West Sussex County Times) mainly at Brands Hatch and know how difficult it is to get great images.
Canon T90 in those days and my favourite 200mm f4 FD lens.

Well done sir.

Very inspirational post. All newbe toggers should read this. I think you've down very well by the looks of it and so much of what you say is true. I joined another forum prior to this one because I didn't know if my images were the best thing since sliced bread or rubbish. It turned out to be the later, obviously lol. That forum went quiet and after a little break from photography due to kids and money I joined a club (which I advise any newbe to do) and also found this forum which has been a MASSIVE help. I try to spread the word of TP to anyone I meet who is into photography. Keep up the good work Jonathan, it's obviously paying off (y)

Mate,after all that hard work over the years fella you deserve it and im sure will still go much further.

Feel very humbled to be mentioned in your list fella and have my name included along with some of the finest motorsport togs i still believe not only on this forum but in the UK.

Well done :)

Great write-up, you've certainly gone the right way about getting to where you are, and from what I remember you've always been very open, honest and critical of your own work, which helps a great deal.

This forum is immensely helpful and it's great to have watched a good number of guys here go on to 'make it'.

I have to chip in here - what a great story and more importantly, a great achievement for you. It's inspiring and a real boost for everyone who's stoving to reach greater heights in the world of photography.

It's so nice that you've stayed so grounded as well and to thank the forum and members too is commendable.
I would love to think that one day this could be a possibility for me but I'm not that deluded!!
Very well done anyway and thank you so much for sharing your experience here with us all.

Superb post. This is why I come to TP. Well done

Cracking images Jonathan, and well done.

I had a press pass in the 90's as I took photos for a local rag (West Sussex County Times) mainly at Brands Hatch and know how difficult it is to get great images.
Canon T90 in those days and my favourite 200mm f4 FD lens.

Well done sir.

Thanks so much guys, I hope TP knows just how valuable it is :)

Very inspirational post. All newbe toggers should read this. I think you've down very well by the looks of it and so much of what you say is true. I joined another forum prior to this one because I didn't know if my images were the best thing since sliced bread or rubbish. It turned out to be the later, obviously lol. That forum went quiet and after a little break from photography due to kids and money I joined a club (which I advise any newbe to do) and also found this forum which has been a MASSIVE help. I try to spread the word of TP to anyone I meet who is into photography. Keep up the good work Jonathan, it's obviously paying off (y)

Cheers Mike, its great to be able to get the opinions of others to avoid the delusions of grandeur eh :D I still don't feel competent hahahah Rock on TP!

Mate,after all that hard work over the years fella you deserve it and im sure will still go much further.

Feel very humbled to be mentioned in your list fella and have my name included along with some of the finest motorsport togs i still believe not only on this forum but in the UK.

Well done :)

Thanks Glen, really appreciate all the advice over the years... Yours, Andy & Graham's (OMG I forgot to add you to the list) Bike shots have been an inspiration to me... Probably wouldn't have got interested in BSB or Moto GP if it wasn't for all you guys producing consistently epic images!!!

Great write-up, you've certainly gone the right way about getting to where you are, and from what I remember you've always been very open, honest and critical of your own work, which helps a great deal.

This forum is immensely helpful and it's great to have watched a good number of guys here go on to 'make it'.

AH man Chris, I missed you off the list too... You've always been a massive help to me, reliable honest critique... No BS!!! Probably the best panner (if that's a word) in here, stellar images, I salute you sir!!!!! hahaha :D

Cheers man, always appreciated :D

I have to chip in here - what a great story and more importantly, a great achievement for you. It's inspiring and a real boost for everyone who's stoving to reach greater heights in the world of photography.

It's so nice that you've stayed so grounded as well and to thank the forum and members too is commendable.
I would love to think that one day this could be a possibility for me but I'm not that deluded!!
Very well done anyway and thank you so much for sharing your experience here with us all.

Thanks a lot :) I really couldn't have done it without the help from so many generous community members, so I can't take the credit really. I'm acutely aware that this might look like I'm waxing lyrical (or worse, looking like a show off) about getting accredited or getting in a magazine, but all that is entirely meaningless in comparison to the support, advice and inspiration I have received from being a member here, without all that i'd have achieved very little if anything :D As I say, I don't feel like I'm a particularly good photographer (I'm sure some people will second that haha) but this place has definitely made me better than I was... so long as people keep sharing their work here, I have no doubt that everyone can reap the rewards in time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the namecheck :).

Seriously, you were prepared to help me out of a fix when I was double booked, and I know you were a bit anxious about difference between snapping from the public side of the fence for your own amusement a bit different to working to a brief given by someone else, but you did a great job.

Now you can teach me the intricacies of photoshop!

Well done dude!! I followed your work on Flickr a while back with a hope of being close to the skill leve and talent you have! I agree - looking on here the advice is really good an i am learning loads! Maybe one day i can put a similar post up! Frame them sections of the mag! Truly well deserved!

Effort = Reward. This is so true; you're efforts and the efforts of those who've helped/advised you over the past few years have been rewarded with publication in DP (y) Congrats fella.

Some of the images posted on TP are world class and both inspire and challenge me to do better. Lets hope 2016 is full of more world class shots:)

Fantastic inspirational post to everyone who wants to achieve more... I doff my cloth cap to you and raise a glass ale!

Well done Johnny, nice to get the recognition you deserve (and to think a while back you thought you were losing your mojo, or am I getting confused ?)

Well done Johnny, nice to get the recognition you deserve (and to think a while back you thought you were losing your mojo, or am I getting confused ?)
Hahaha thanks Neil, no you are very much correct... Always been self critical, always will be :) I'm sure I'm not alone when I feel it's just not working, a few duff shoots and it starts to get a bit depressing :D I guess that's the advantage of being a hobbyist, you can take a break and come back refreshed... Massive respect to the pros that just drive on through those times lol or maybe it's just me that's a bipolar creative haha

So I need to say a massive thanks to Talk Photography,
You are most welcome.
Congratulations at finally being published and long may it continue (y)

Oh, and I did chuckle a few times reading the narratives, as well :)

You are most welcome.
Congratulations at finally being published and long may it continue (y)

Oh, and I did chuckle a few times reading the narratives, as well :)

Haha thanks very much, I'm glad some of the comedy hit target :)

Congratulations mate, superb shots, amazing. As a massive F1 fan (my first son is named Jenson :p) I am in awe of these!

Cheers mate, really appreciate the feedback :)

Great story and fantatic outcome just had a good shuffty (yes its a word) through ya Flickr and gave you a follow. Like you 7/8 years ago Iv just got into motorsport photography and am doing my homework etc

my 1st session https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/british-gt-cars-donington-12-09-15.602279/

have a look. What advice would you give someone starting out.

PS what is the best track for someone looking to gain experiance with limited eqipment

Great story and fantatic outcome just had a good shuffty (yes its a word) through ya Flickr and gave you a follow. Like you 7/8 years ago Iv just got into motorsport photography and am doing my homework etc

my 1st session https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/british-gt-cars-donington-12-09-15.602279/

have a look. What advice would you give someone starting out.

PS what is the best track for someone looking to gain experiance with limited eqipment

Thanks very much, I'm based right next to Silverstone but it's probably not the easiest. Brands GP is very tog friendly... Donnington, rockingham are pigs in my experience but obviously the more you go to these places the more experience you develop in finding the sweet spots

Thanks very much, I'm based right next to Silverstone but it's probably not the easiest. Brands GP is very tog friendly... Donnington, rockingham are pigs in my experience but obviously the more you go to these places the more experience you develop in finding the sweet spots

Donnington is my local and have booked the BTCC weekend (Can't get before as funding my bike training and bike atm) hoping for some good light as my 55-200 is a lil short so a lil cropping is needed. gonna have a good walk around the pit/garage area with my 35/1.8 hoping to capture the spirit of the day.

Awesome progression, and you regularly churn out some mighty impressive images dude. Really happy for you, that your work is starting to get the recognition that you deserve for the hard work you put in.
Keep on elevating, and don't forget us mere mortals!!

Awesome progression, and you regularly churn out some mighty impressive images dude. Really happy for you, that your work is starting to get the recognition that you deserve for the hard work you put in.
Keep on elevating, and don't forget us mere mortals!!

Thanks so much Matty... I've always been a fan of your rally shots but seriously your landscape stuff is some of the best ive seen!!!

First off, many congratulations! Must be a great feeling to have your name in print in a magazine like that.

Second, what a fantastic post - it just shows how a little humility and a large willingness to take stock and read, listen and learn from others can pay dividends. To be honest, your first photos are pretty good and I did enjoy your slanting shots comments and humour - old habits and all that!

An enjoyable read.

Well done Johnny that is a great achievement, your excellent combination of PS and camera skills is paying off, just at a time when you was feeling a little lost towards the end of last year . I have always loved the detail in your shots, I'm sure that has been picked up .
Keep up the good work and don't forget us lot who are still trying to capture some shots worthy of posting on here !

Back