Critique THAT Pier at Portencross. Epic sunset

Being a bit picky here, but the second one would work better imo with more of the tide in, that way it would isolate the pier more and you wouldn't have the rocks on the left. Like I said - picky! Gorgeous light though in both :)

Reactions: ST4
Being a bit picky here, but the second one would work better imo with more of the tide in, that way it would isolate the pier more and you wouldn't have the rocks on the left. Like I said - picky! Gorgeous light though in both :)

Not at all, I would have loved high tide or some movement in the waves for the 1st. But magic light is a rare thing here in Scotland

Two very nice images Steve, #2 would also be my fav.(y)

George.

No2 is great and the composition in No1 is good and could been better with the colours from No2

Another vote for the second image for me Steve. That sky is sublime.
For me, the foreground in the first is a tad light given that the sun is almost gone.
Still lovely though.

Another vote for the second image for me Steve. That sky is sublime.
For me, the foreground in the first is a tad light given that the sun is almost gone.
Still lovely though.

You don't get a sky like that often, maybe around 4 times a year.

Funny how we are all different. On another forum someone said the thought the foreground lacked detail and would have wanted some "undectectable" hdr - I nearly laughed as its quite recovered but not tone mapped. I'd say is the shadows were pulled back to the extent that any more would start to see noise etc. 2.5 hard stops were used plus a further 3 stop soft and a little stopper just to smooth it out a bit. The balance between detail and contrast can be a trickly one to strike and everyones takes on it differ. It probably is a tad over pulled but its more or less how I saw it.

2 for me as well but both really nice shots.

Back