The 52 Weeks of Daysleeping 2020 (Week 20: SOMETHING OLD & Week 22: HOUSEHOLD ITEM)

Oh no, poor little man, an amusing image, and right on theme

Great shot, love the humour and composition.

Great take on the theme good use of DoF the use of the Lego figures adds an element of story telling to the image.

pleasure - well captured, very sharp and plenty of details (y)

tool - that made me laugh out loud. Brilliant idea and execution!

Ooops - call in the H&S!

Well thought and shot!

Oh my goodness, how did I miss that cute Leopard cub for your week 2? That image would have given me a lot of pleasure too so well done!

From an "awwww" to a laugh when moving onto week 3; very well thought out and arranged, perfectly sharp where it needs to be but lovely OOF background to hold the attention on the main subject (y)

Thank you all for the feedback - and I'm sorry I've not managed any comments myself over the last week. Just been crazy busy - am amazed I am keeping up with this at all tbh!

I have thrown a week 4 effort together today - fell back onto my beloved Tamron macro lens. Love a bit of close up :)

This is actually my cats' feather that he has been playing with - he was most unimpressed that I borrowed it for a little photo shoot. Crashed the photo shoot at one point and took it back. That was pretty much the end of the photo shoot. And the feather.

Chosen shot for the week:

Theme: Discarded
Title: The Moult
Kit: Nikon D7000 / Tamron 90mm macro

Week 4_Discarded by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

These were the other contenders:

Week 4_Discarded_20200125_132956 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 4_Discarded_20200125_131621 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shot - I never knew cats had feathers!

Ahem...

Pheasant?

All great images Fi, but the #2 is a cracking image as the white BG makes it pop beautifully.
Hi Fi, I like no2 too. Great for the theme, another thing I have learned this week...cats have feathers.
I think I'm with you, the orange background adds to it somehow (I can't put my finger on it but... maybe less clinical?)
I'm mildly surprised I've managed to stay up to date this far into the 52 too ( 1/12th of the way through !)

LOL :)
Nice shot - I never knew cats had feathers!

Ahem...

Pheasant?

Lol... I should say he found the feather and he owns the feather and apparently I did not have his permission to take the feather :/

Thanks all - tbh I nearly did put the white BG one is as the chosen shot but I also thought it looked a bit clinical / boring.

I am in the white background camp or perhaps the angle of the feather is more pleasing in that one. Nice detail though.

A great idea and very well executed.

White here for me too.. but all well shot and detailed.
My cat won't even play with the whole pheasants that walk around him in the garden! Embarrassing :rolleyes:

Thanks all - interesting mix of white vs orange - personally I think I'm just a bit bored of white backgrounds so it is nice to try something different.

I am in the white background camp or perhaps the angle of the feather is more pleasing in that one. Nice detail though.

I think you are right about the angle of the feather. For some reason I like the little broken bit at the bottom showing too.

White here for me too.. but all well shot and detailed.
My cat won't even play with the whole pheasants that walk around him in the garden! Embarrassing :rolleyes:

Albie (cat) used to be a nightmare hunter when he was younger - and also very good at 'losing' his bell / collar. Used to have multiple bells on him, especially in the spring. Thankfully he's eased up on it as he's got older / lazier. I'd be happy if I were you!

I love the image of the "kitten" seems he/she is a right poser and likes to be photographed. FWIW I have never ever been to a zoo before but if you can get images like that I might just have to visit one.

Lego figures with the hammer is a good take on the them, classic OOF background with a sharp central image and slightly OOF foreground, well done.

That's very impressive Fi!:clap:
You've extracted some superb detail from the fibres in the feather.
I really like the crisp, clean look of the white bg in #2, but I actually think #1 is the pick of the bunch...the orange is just right...not too overpowering.
A bold and simple composition rounds off a terrific image!

That's a great interpretation of the theme and well photographed. I prefer the white version as I like the angle and I think it brings out the range of colours better.

Playing catch up so please excuse me..
I loved the Lego shot, beautifully composed and excellent DOF.
I am in the white team, I am a bit of a mono, moody & minimalist kind of person so this really worked for me.

It's a bit of a shame that the end has been cut off, bit it is a cat's toy/plaything.
I actually like it on the white background the best. It's a good close up.
I wouldn't worry about the commenting thing, I find it the hardest part of the challenge.

Thank you for all your comments - interesting mix of views on the last theme!

@Nikon f1.8 - we spend a LOT of time at zoos so if you want any recommendations let me know... or just take a look at my Flickr for examples of what type of shots you can get where :)

Onto week 5 - Took the opportunity to get the technique done - and as I got a new mobile phone this week I also thought I'd try using its camera and see what it could do. Went for a lovely circular walk around Henley / Remenham today and went for an arty shot in the woods...

Theme: Snappers Choice / Silhouette Technique
Title: Remenham
Kit: Samsung Galaxy A50

Week 5 - Snappers Choice by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

I really like this, the way the trees all grow into the centre of the frame is fantastic and there's not too much confusion. Nailed the technique and a really nice image with a good POV.

It reminds me of fingers for some reason - all encompassing. Funnily enough I took a photo looking up at tress this week but it wasn't nearly so effective. I think this really works because there are no gaps. Very nice.

Lovely winter tree shot - big canvas job!

Nice snappers choice and good use of the technique.

Back