The 52 Weeks of Daysleeping 2020 (Week 20: SOMETHING OLD & Week 22: HOUSEHOLD ITEM)

Simple composition works really nicely. Very artistic shot.

I like the Pov I have often taken shots like this but they don't always work this one does

Week 6 bought us some seriously wild weather so I decided to try to illustrate this from the safety of my front room in a bit of an abstract manner. Limited success when shooting through double glazing - but I wanted to use the actual weather rather than set up a 'cleaner' version with nicer glass and fake raindrops. The concept was to be able to see a blurred vision of the trees as they were seen through the storm.

Theme: Wild
Title: Eye of the Storm
Kit: Nikon D7000 & Tamron 90mm

Week 6_Wild by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

The rejects... I quite like the first of these but preferred the colours in the chosen shot.

Wild_20200209_171954 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Wild_20200209_172045 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Last edited:
Clever and interesting idea, like this a lot.

Very eye catching, I like number 3 the best but all of them are great. Has an appearance of molten metal. Clever interpretation of the theme.

Nice abstracts Fi.
#1 is certainly the best of the bunch.
Although I do quite like the Gold / Silver in #2 as well.

Well you had me stumped with the wild image on the main thread, did not have a clue what it was, now seeing this and the explanation i get it, and it is an ingenious take on the theme.

I really like your chosen image for Wild but to me it gives the impression more of after a storm with the bright light and blue colours.

Thanks all for the comments - tbh I wasn't particularly happy with any of them but it is the best I managed with the concept!

I really like your chosen image for Wild but to me it gives the impression more of after a storm with the bright light and blue colours.

I totally agree - but it was actually the calm inbetween the stormy moments. Tried doing it when the storm was actually raging and it was a predictable failure. Bloody rain does not stay still.

I like the concept and the results. I think you chose the right one for the main thread, good idea to stay in out of that weather.

I really like this, a clever use of macro and a great abstract shot. Also good fit for the theme, what with all this wild weather!

Soooo... been a bit ill and then a bit busy so have fallen behind. Hoping to get back on track in the next week but for today I have concentrated on Week 7. The idea was to represent a broken person who has been pushed to their limit.

Theme: Broken
Title: On the Edge
Kit: Nikon D7000 / Tamron 90mm / Nikon SB600 flash

Week 7_Broken by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

The rejects / shots other people will probably prefer...

Week 7_Broken_1 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 7_Broken_2 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 7_Broken_5 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 7_Broken_6 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 7_Broken_3 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the comments all - glad it conveyed what I was hoping it would.

My idea for week 8 was to continue the theme and show that when you have the ability to be anything, you can and should be the light.

Theme: Ability
Title: Be the Light
Kit: Nikon D7000 / Tamron 90mm / Nikon SB600 flash

Week 8_Ability by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

The rejects...

Week 8_Ability_5 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 8_Ability_3 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 8_Ability_2 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Week 8_Ability_1 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Very interesting shots, it's amazing how the message can be conveyed by some simple tweaks to the models. :)

Broken and Abiity 2 clever takes on the themes and well executed. Are the men wire or solder?
Of broken I like no 4, Ability your chosen one, somehow you have managed to make the wire man look dejected.

These are really clever - I really like them. You've picked the right one again - and the lighting is beautiful.
Very interesting shots, it's amazing how the message can be conveyed by some simple tweaks to the models. :)
Both Broken and Ability are very clever and thought provoking images very nicely done.
Well thought out and taken images Fi, really does come across as powerful images.
Lovely idea for the theme. #4 for its simplicity is my favourite but all well lit and shot.

Thanks all - I'm glad you like them as I enjoyed taking these and was pretty pleased with the results. I don't often break out the flashgun so it is good for me to practice :)

Broken and Abiity 2 clever takes on the themes and well executed. Are the men wire or solder?
Of broken I like no 4, Ability your chosen one, somehow you have managed to make the wire man look dejected.

Thanks you - they are just wire wrapped. I make them myself.

Great shots for broken and ability. Love the creativity and the execution!

Week 9: Winter

Not gonna lie - struggled with enthusiasm for this one so I tried a slightly different take on a winter flower that I have tried to shoot on many occasions: Snowdrops. White backgrounds on flower shots are my nemesis so I had a crack at incorporating the High Key technique into this shot even though it is not in the right time period for it. (spoiler - I shot this one after week 10)

Theme: Winter
Title: Snow Bouquet
Kit: Nikon D7000 / Nikon 35mm / Nikon SB600

Winter_3 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 10: Depict a Book & High Key Technique

I'm not completely sold on this one - but for now it is the Week 10 entry.

Theme: Depict a Book
Title: "Fava beans and a nice chianti"
Kit: Nikon D7000 / Tamron 90mm / Nikon SB600

Week 10_DepictABook by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

I'm rubbish at this. I have no idea why a face and a butterfly depicts your book - can you explain please? Technique is spot on though.

Back