The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

Here we go with my first theme image of the year.

Week 1, Gate/d

Not actually what I was going for, I was originally thinking of a nice rural setting as we were heading for scarborough aand robin hoods bay. The weather was, well very wet. Popped into the new lifeboat station and came up on the entrance gate to board the lifeboat, and here it is, as I didn't find what I was looking for!

scarborough lifeboat #3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

The extreme close-up of the metal gate fastening and the bright orange of the boat in the background work well for me, Michael. My eye was drawn straight to the gate, then the word Lifeboats and then took in the rest of the scene, so the tight focus did its job (y)

Last edited:
Just the job Sir, good colour with plenty of impact.(y)

George.

Thank you very much everyone for the comments, very pleased it's gone down well. I have been borrowing my dads 17-55 f2.8 while my usual 18-135 is away being repaired. F2.8 certainly helped.

The extreme close-up of the metal gate fastening and the bright orange of the boat in the background work well for me, Michael. My eye was drawn straight to the gate, then the word Lifeboats and then took in the rest of the scene, so the tight focus did its job (y)

As above, I like the lines and the colours, great start.

Like this shot Michael, good focus on the gate latch with the oof Lifeboat in the BG. Good colours and very nicely on theme :)

I agree with the above comments, Andrea has it spot on

Just the job Sir, good colour with plenty of impact.(y)

George.

Really like this, a very different perspective on the theme and a nice shot too.

Nice sharp focus foreground against blur background always works well. This whole gate/lifeboat arrangement reminds me of my early career on the oil rigs many years ago. We've to practice the lifeboat drill every Sunday morning at 6:00 am. :(

I agree very strong gate photo

Good start Michael. Nothing else to add, its all been said :D

I can't really add anything either, I do really like this sort of effect, where you deliberately blur out the obvious focal point to concentrate on focusing the eye on another area of the shot.

8th instalment hey Michael.. good going... which means my first was further back than I thought...scary..

Nice gated...i like the dof enough to soften the background but leaves the Lifeboat clear enough. Not that the striking orange wouldn't scream it (y)

Welcome back Michael

I like it ... the latch and little more of the gate ..... focussed, and a colourful OOF BG.

Gate(d) - another good take on the theme with the close up of the latch, and the OOF background adds a bit of colour to the image.

Thank you Mandy.

8th instalment hey Michael.. good going... which means my first was further back than I thought...scary..

Nice gated...i like the dof enough to soften the background but leaves the Lifeboat clear enough. Not that the striking orange wouldn't scream it (y)

Thank you Kev, time flies doesn't it.

Welcome back Michael

I like it ... the latch and little more of the gate ..... focussed, and a colourful OOF BG.

Thanks David

Nice close up of the locking mechanism and brilliant colours in the background (y)

Looking good Michael, I life the way the gate underlines the wording on the lifeboat. It tells a tale.

Pete

Great take on the theme, something quite different! I like the bright colours and the relatively shallow DoF. It feels indeed unearthly (y)

TBH I'm not so keen on the dominant OOF head at the front but that's probably just me, I don't really like anything OOF in the foreground.

Hi Michael, good luck on your eighth 52 :)
Your People shot looks like a poster advert for a sci-fi film, well lit with your led torch it gives it an unearthly feel.

Thank you Susie,nice to get a different feel to an image.

Cool image Michael, I am liking the vivid colours and the portrait crop, nice to see a bit of shadow too on such a high key image :)

Thanks Dean, the colours certainly helped, shadow was tricky to include, I was at a single focal length of 105mm.

Great take on the theme, something quite different! I like the bright colours and the relatively shallow DoF. It feels indeed unearthly (y)

Thanks Brnd.

I like this. I like the strong colours and that it's not lego.
I also like the tight cropping.
(y)

Thank you Tim

TBH I'm not so keen on the dominant OOF head at the front but that's probably just me, I don't really like anything OOF in the foreground.

Understandable point of view Chris, normally I wouldnt include something oof, but as I was looking down at them I felt the focal oint was on Mr Green, as he came over in a prominent way.

the colours really pop unusual take on the theme

Thank you for looking in.

Interesting one that. A grower too. I bet it breaks all the rules of photography but still there's something/somethings there I like. (y)

Interesting one that. A grower too. I bet it breaks all the rules of photography but still there's something/somethings there I like. (y)

Thanks David, worth breaking the odd photogrpahic rule now and then

People
I like that, as @LC2 said, I like the tight crop and the bright vivid colours.

Thanks Dominic.

Now, onto stark, got some pics at the weekend and wasn't sure weather to use one or not, but after a few goes at editing, I ended up with this version and I decided I liked it enough to post. Worth getting wet for!

trees by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I like it Michael - looks very cold and stark

Just had a look at a few of yours on Flickr. Love the next one along, the red car in snow

Following you on there now (y)

I like it Michael - looks very cold and stark

Just had a look at a few of yours on Flickr. Love the next one along, the red car in snow

Following you on there now (y)

Thanks Ian, that of course was another candidate, there was just something I liked about the trees.

Nice wintery theme, colour balance looks a little off

Thanks Allan, colour balance was very tricky, the light was quite odd at the time of taking the pic, pp'd to as close as it looked. I did try warming the colours, but it didn't work. Would have loved more time around there.

Very nice Stark shot Sir, fits the theme pretty well in my book.(y)

George.

Back