The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

Clutching at straws a little I think :thinking: but I don't have a problem with it, I take your explanation of it

Clutching at straws a little I think :thinking: but I don't have a problem with it, I take your explanation of it

Just a different way of interpreting the theme, I am always on the look our for other subjects when I post a picture for a theme like this. I did have another none train image from the time of the first picture, but I just can't see, to get it to look right. Thanks for looking in.

Sharp - great detail! Looks very sharp indeed!

Guard - #1 for me, with the swans chasing each other

Thick - the thick smoke is maybe more on theme, but I prefer #2: great composition and B&W processing works a treat

Blimey Michael, those are shoe-horns worthy of some of mine last year. Fair Play.
I prefer the mono one of David Smith's Tractors under the wires hauling the Princess away. It's reminiscent of the scenes I imagine you had towards the end of steam, and in B&W you can't see that the tractors are in WCRC red, it could easily by British Railways Green with the small yellow warning panel.

I like the complexity of the metal work, not exactly thick, but It depends what you measure it up against.
I like the way the loco is moving into the frame, pleasing b&W tones, nice contrast.

Pete

Your "Sharp" shots are very good Sir, right on theme and showing some great detail and colour.(y)

George.

The book "Thick" shots both work very well Sir, bang on theme, nice angle of the books, and well presented in mono.(y)

George.

Hi Michael,

Stark - very stark landscape and works really well in B&W
Age - Nice image and I like the shadows on the hillside but a close up of the vehicle might be better for the theme as its a little difficult to make out what they are
Sharp - Very sharp indeed and nice colours. Did you consider going diagonally across the frame?
Guard - Great pictures of the swans. I prefer the single bird but probably the one with the chase fits the theme better
Thick - Being a book lover the first of those works best for me but I do like the B&W engine

:D

Your "Sharp" shots are very good Sir, right on theme and showing some great detail and colour.(y)

George.

The book "Thick" shots both work very well Sir, bang on theme, nice angle of the books, and well presented in mono.(y)

George.

Thank you George, appreciate you looking in.

Hi Michael

Nice Thick book images.

Pete

Thanks Pete :)

Hi Michael,

Stark - very stark landscape and works really well in B&W
Age - Nice image and I like the shadows on the hillside but a close up of the vehicle might be better for the theme as its a little difficult to make out what they are
Sharp - Very sharp indeed and nice colours. Did you consider going diagonally across the frame?
Guard - Great pictures of the swans. I prefer the single bird but probably the one with the chase fits the theme better
Thick - Being a book lover the first of those works best for me but I do like the B&W engine

:D

Georgina, many thanks for taking the time there to catch up with those comments, very kind of you to do so. Re sharp, didn't think of a diagonal composition, I shall bear that in mind for future attempts/

Age - Right on theme
Sharp - really stands out from the background and looking vicious
Guard - 2 good captures whilst the first is maybe better for the theme I like the second one more
Thick - I like the thick smoke best of the train pics and the first of the book shots overall for the theme

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of this one Michael. It hits the theme for me, you have the hedge in focus, but because teh hedge is across the whole of the image, it doesn't feel like there is an obvious focal point.
That's just me anyway, others may love it.

Not sure what to make of this one Michael. It hits the theme for me, you have the hedge in focus, but because teh hedge is across the whole of the image, it doesn't feel like there is an obvious focal point.
That's just me anyway, others may love it.

I think I'm with Tim on this one, not really feeling it.

Can see what you mean there, I was wanting to include both the background and the twigs, as both snow and twigs were in abundance.

I kind of like it, sort of dystopian I suppose

Thanks Allan.

Thick - I much prefer the book shots, they convey the theme a bit better and the mono suits.
Abundance - I like this with the twigs and the snow in the BG, I get what you were trying to achieve with this image.

Thanks Mandy, finding those books was a bonus, light was falling quite nicely on them.

Abundance, maybe shot from a bit higher up to show more of the snow.

Thanks Pete, I f my son wasn't rushing to get in the fields to play in the snow, I may well have done.

I was thinking Abundance as in new growth (if that's a valid interpretation) but nothing new, the hedge has been torn apart by some kind of machine ... difficult to say as the DOF is so shallow.

Your “Abundance” shot works for me Sir, not something I immediately would think of but definately on theme and well presented.(y)

George.

Abundance - I like the idea of the shot. Good detail in the twigs which i think are the focal point (atlas thats what my eyes were drawn to), but as an image, for me its a bit too busy.

Thanks Ross, indeed there is a lot going on there, I had focussed on the twigs with the snow covered fields to form the bg.

I was thinking Abundance as in new growth (if that's a valid interpretation) but nothing new, the hedge has been torn apart by some kind of machine ... difficult to say as the DOF is so shallow.

The day before the hedge cutter had been down, dof was very shallow.

Your “Abundance” shot works for me Sir, not something I immediately would think of but definately on theme and well presented.(y)

George.

Hi George, I fancied something a little different, pleased it works for you.

I quite like abundance. I like the colours, nice details in the twigs and oof bg, maybe just a little too much twigs and not enough bg. :D

A quick catch-up from me, Michael, as I've just got my own thread up to date again, and you've posted some strong images (y)

I really like your image for Sharp with those vicious-looking thorns and the warm red tones, and the second image for Guard works really well with the aggressive swan heading towards you and splashing water behind it.

For Thick, although I think #1 is the more obvious fit for the theme title and certainly makes a good image, I do like the mass of metal and wires in #2 and your B&W processing suits it well.

Finally, I can see what you were aiming for with Abundance, with both an abundance of hedge and snow, but it might have been better to either have more snow, or none at all as there's not really enough of it. However, given that you were out with your eager son at the time, I can understand the conflict!

I quite like abundance. I like the colours, nice details in the twigs and oof bg, maybe just a little too much twigs and not enough bg. :D

Thanks Georgina, :)

A quick catch-up from me, Michael, as I've just got my own thread up to date again, and you've posted some strong images (y)

I really like your image for Sharp with those vicious-looking thorns and the warm red tones, and the second image for Guard works really well with the aggressive swan heading towards you and splashing water behind it.

For Thick, although I think #1 is the more obvious fit for the theme title and certainly makes a good image, I do like the mass of metal and wires in #2 and your B&W processing suits it well.

Finally, I can see what you were aiming for with Abundance, with both an abundance of hedge and snow, but it might have been better to either have more snow, or none at all as there's not really enough of it. However, given that you were out with your eager son at the time, I can understand the conflict!

Thanks Andrea for your comments, much appreciated, and when we get more snow, I shall try and replicate everyone's thoughts :D, but I might have forgotten by then :LOL:

Symmetrical, the cropping into the image works to emphasise the size of the Lorry/Van.
It looks like the kind of van Corporal Jones would be driving about in, in Walmington on Sea.

Thanks Tim, it reminded me of corporal Jones too.

glad you went for the close up as I think it works well I like the muted colours

Thanks Allan, (y)

Heavy and imposing. It might look more imposing with a smidge of Vignette ... just a thought.

Very good Heavy shot Sir, lovely old vehicle and very well presented.(y)

George.

Nice colours they add to the old fashioned feel of the shot. I like the unusual crop, I assume there were either other people or vehicles stopping you taking a shot of the full truck. Well done for looking for a different view point :)

Heavy and imposing. It might look more imposing with a smidge of Vignette ... just a thought.

Thanks David, I might give a vignette a try if I have a bit of spare time.

Very good Heavy shot Sir, lovely old vehicle and very well presented.(y)

George.

Much appreciated George, thank you.

Nice colours they add to the old fashioned feel of the shot. I like the unusual crop, I assume there were either other people or vehicles stopping you taking a shot of the full truck. Well done for looking for a different view point :)

Thank you Georgina, It was parked right next to a wall, the side on view was very unflattering and looked totally untidy! So around the front I went.

Now on to Wet, I have a few which would fit this theme, as it was raining quite a bit on thursday, but still got a window of dry weather and had the camera with me while the children were doing there forest school.

Settled on this one as I like the reflection of Elvaston Castle.

elvaston castle #32 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Other options on flickr if anyone fancies a look

Nice shot with a good reflection

Very nice wet image. Bang on theme. Wish it wasn't wet here and wish I wasn't bored as I would have tried to keep away from this thread. Had exactly the same idea!

You've executed it very well

Back