The Alps from Above

Oh wow, the first is good from a plane. You've managed to remove any reflection from the window.

superb shots thru an aircraft window, have tried this myself but did not get anything like yours

Plane windows are a pair of horridly imperfect panes to shoot through. And your probably weren't using your best lens. :) But sometimes the subject is more important than the gear. The first is excellent!

Oh wow, the first is good from a plane. You've managed to remove any reflection from the window.

superb shots thru an aircraft window, have tried this myself but did not get anything like yours

Plane windows are a pair of horridly imperfect panes to shoot through. And your probably weren't using your best lens. :) But sometimes the subject is more important than the gear. The first is excellent!

Thanks guys

I was actually asleep on the plane and got woken up by the light and shouted oh, wow! Initially (not knowing how vast The Alps were) I took some photos with my phone, then when I saw them continuing into the horizon I scrambled for my camera bag from the overhead locker and just stuck it to the pane in front of me! It did take some angling to eliminate the reflections but I'm glad I managed to achieve this from within the camera rather than having to edit them out. Some of the shots had awful reflections but luckily I got enough good ones.

I'm glad you like the shots :D

Strangely, from the air, they don't look so impressive anymore! :cool:

Strangely, from the air, they don't look so impressive anymore! :cool:
As I live 2 1/2 hours from the Alps I got to agree, they are big and daunting at the same time from their level but I dont get to see them from above like this.
2 lovely shots and worth the effort and kudos for getting to your camera bag from the locker above, never an easy task.
I like the 1st photo because the glacial valley path can be seen at the bottom and making a leading path into the shot.
I also like the 2nd for the colours in the sky and the thin clouds drifting above the mountains.

Tip for removing reflections from window panes. You should be wearing a photographer's scarf -- matte black and (practically) opaque. Place lens hood on lens. Touch hood to window pane. Scrumble scarf round edges of lens hood to block reflections, but not intruding on view.

(The "photographer's scarf" is also useful for providing a dark background to flower portraits, shrouding an annoying light you can't turn off, etc..)

Great pictures! I’m trying to see where these are. Number 1 looks like above Locarno towards Bellinzona? If so, not too far from me :)

Beautiful. I have tons of photos taken from planes, but few as good as this.

Incidentally it's surprising to see how little snow there is.

Back