The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not been out much with the Sony since I changed over from Nikon around 5 months ago, but enjoying using it.

I have shot it both from the tripod and hand held and find it easy to use. I find the menus and controls perfect for the shooting I do. To have 3 memory banks that save every customisation is absolutely fantastic and is a huge improvement on what I had on Nikon.

I need to get out more and hopefully autumn will get my photography juices flowing again :)

Here are a few of the shots from the last few months - some may have been posted elsewhere on the forum in the past.

Penmon Sunrise by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Summer Harvest by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Drifting by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Harvest Light by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Not been out much with the Sony since I changed over from Nikon around 5 months ago, but enjoying using it.

I have shot it both from the tripod and hand held and find it easy to use. I find the menus and controls perfect for the shooting I do. To have 3 memory banks that save every customisation is absolutely fantastic and is a huge improvement on what I had on Nikon.

I need to get out more and hopefully autumn will get my photography juices flowing again :)

Here are a few of the shots from the last few months - some may have been posted elsewhere on the forum in the past.

Dave.
Awesome! :)

Yes but as its a 'Game Changer' it will do it all standing on it's hotshoe (head), at 20fps with Eye AF nothing will be missed, just have an excess of memory cards, simples.....
It will be a good test to see how much the camera can do without my input ... lol :D

It is but it's a focal length I don't use much and for now and again use I have my Minolta 24mm f2.8 which is the best 24mm I have at the mo. I'd imagine that people shooting sky and night scenes will take a look at this new lens and I expect it to be excellent. I'll be a bit shocked if it isn't.

Actually it'll be nice for environmental portraits too.

I think if it turns out to be heavier or more expensive than my Samyang 24mm I'll stick with the Samyang a bit longer.

I was thinking of getting the 25mm Batis but maybe I will hold off to see how many thousands the 24 f/1.4 will be first.

I was thinking of getting the 25mm Batis but maybe I will hold off to see how many thousands the 24 f/1.4 will be first.

Aren't the Batis' getting a name for being excellent and rather compact and light for what they are? If the G is even more excellent than the Batis the latter could be the choice for other reasons.

Aren't the Batis' getting a name for being excellent and rather compact and light for what they are? If the G is even more excellent than the Batis the latter could be the choice for other reasons.
The Zeiss Batis lenses are great, I just wished they have a AF-hold / Customer button like the G Masters....... I used mine for Eye-AF, its great!

I don't have eye AF but playing with face detect makes me want it... but do I want it enough to spend knocking on £2k on an A7III? They're still not in stock at Currys so I have time to think about it.

BTW, I can't reassign lens buttons on my A7. Another reason to buy a III I suppose.

I don't have eye AF but playing with face detect makes me want it... but do I want it enough to spend knocking on £2k on an A7III? They're still not in stock at Currys so I have time to think about it.

BTW, I can't reassign lens buttons on my A7. Another reason to buy a III I suppose.
Shop around chap, I am sure you can get 10% off the RRP price and get freebies thrown in.
If you know anybody who works at Currys/PCWorlds/DSG, they get 10% staff discount.

Time is the issue at the mo. Mrs WW has started a couple of courses which means I have to take her there and back three days a week and that and my caring mean I have precious little time to go for walks and take pictures. Until I get more time I can't see much point buying new kit.

I'm sat here on the pc now... but I can't go out.

I was going to get that, but opted for the Sigma instead, extra stop and £300 less !

The Sony is likely to be double the Sigma.

The Zeiss Batis lenses are great, I just wished they have a AF-hold / Customer button like the G Masters....... I used mine for Eye-AF, its great!

That would actually sway me towards the Sony, I agree being able to assign the focus hold button to eye a.f works very well. I wonder if we will ever see third party companies being able to do this too.

Last edited:
I was going to get that, but opted for the Sigma instead, extra stop and £300 less !

I'd agree, the Sony FE 24mm f1.4 GM isn't going to be cheap... the 16-35mm GM is a whopping £2299 :eek:

I have had most of the Art lenses at one time or another for Nikon, I still have a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm Art for Nikon and a 35mm Art for Sony so am ruling those out probably as I just fancy a change. Not that they are not spectacular because they are.

I have had most of the Art lenses at one time or another for Nikon, I still have a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm Art for Nikon and a 35mm Art for Sony so am ruling those out probably as I just fancy a change. Not that they are not spectacular because they are.

I tried adapting the Canon 24L not the Sony during dusk, the AF was soooo bad I went home and order the Sigma.

I tried adapting the Canon 24L not the Sony during dusk, the AF was soooo bad I went home and order the Sigma.

The Siggy 24mm a very good lens.

I could just send my Siggy 20mm off to have the mount changed which was what I was thinking of doing originally before I started looking at what else was available. :D

Time is the issue at the mo. Mrs WW has started a couple of courses which means I have to take her there and back three days a week and that and my caring mean I have precious little time to go for walks and take pictures. Until I get more time I can't see much point buying new kit.

I'm sat here on the pc now... but I can't go out.
:rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

It’s not just about the acquisition of more kit chaps.

Time out with whatever you have is much more beneficial. Don’t buy anything new until you’ve absolutely rinsed what you have and know where it’s limiting you.
This where I have gone terribly wrong..... :D

Dave.
Stunning stuff Dave. I got a 24-105 when I switched from Fuji a couple of months ago it's a very nice lens.

What was nice was the 5 minutes it took to set it up the way I like rather than the 2 hours or so I spent faffing around with it when the last one arrived.
Once you get used to the Sony GUI / Menu and setup your custom buttons, life gets easier.

What was nice was the 5 minutes it took to set it up the way I like rather than the 2 hours or so I spent faffing around with it when the last one arrived.

You can't export setting to SD card then import into another camera can you?

Back