The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just got back from Disneyland Paris, was happy with the performance of the A7.

A quick one, 85mm 1.8 @ ISO 5000

DLP by Tim G, on Flickr

What a great image/capture, just shows how great Sony FF sensors are, even the original A7... ISO 5000 .... no sweat :)

Last edited:
I just realised something there that you probably all knew but I didn't. These actually correct third party lenses as well as Sony lenses, that's pretty cool. Only noticed when I scrolled down to lens corrections in Lightroom and it said that a built in lens profile had been already applied.

It’s not just about the acquisition of more kit chaps.

Time out with whatever you have is much more beneficial. Don’t buy anything new until you’ve absolutely rinsed what you have and know where it’s limiting you.

How about a lack of face detect, IS and the ability to reassign lens buttons... getting that lot may be worth £2k.

I have a busy life but I heard a story a while ago about a guy who quit his city job and married a woman in I think Cornwall. He said "I used to have a Merc but it was always empty, now I have a Metro but it's always full." I've had a Merc but didn't rate it, anyway, I too quit my career and I'm married now and no matter how busy/stressed/tired I am I also have a much better life.

It’s not just about the acquisition of more kit chaps.

Time out with whatever you have is much more beneficial. Don’t buy anything new until you’ve absolutely rinsed what you have and know where it’s limiting you.
I'll be back 2025 then (y)

I have a busy life but I heard a story a while ago about a guy who quit his city job and married a woman in I think Cornwall. He said "I used to have a Merc but it was always empty, now I have a Metro but it's always full." I've had a Merc but didn't rate it, anyway, I too quit my career and I'm married now and no matter how busy/stressed/tired I am I also have a much better life.
Never questioned that,just watching the A7iii gas ,see if it trump's the
a6000:D

Anti flicker doesn't work 100%, I still see banding, lots of banding.

Mechanical is the sure way to get around it.

Raymond thats not what im talking about lol

To combat banding you either use 1/100 in most instances or mech shutter.

Point your camera at leds etc and turn on / off anti flicker and see what I mean. Take a few shots

Raymond thats not what im talking about lol

To combat banding you either use 1/100 in most instances or mech shutter.

Point your camera at leds etc and turn on / off anti flicker and see what I mean. Take a few shots

It won't let me turn on anti flicker in Silent shooting?

Question, do you guys format in NTSC or PAL?

Does it matter for stills? I think that matters more for video, I notice you get a lot more shooting options in NTSC vs PAL.

Looking at the spec the 24mm is actually quite small, it'll be interesting to see it on the size comprison site.

Stunning stuff Dave. I got a 24-105 when I switched from Fuji a couple of months ago it's a very nice lens.
Thanks Graham - I think the 24-105 looks great. It gives you more reach than the 24-70 and fills the gap nicely if you want to go the 100-400 route instead of the 70-200.

Edit - looking at your photos the lens is doing the business :) some cracking photos

Last edited:
I hope Sony release the FE 135mm f1.8 GM soon..... but this 24mm f1.4 is really interesting, pretty small and compact.

Yes, I was expecting it to be a bit of a beast.

We'll have to wait for the test results but I think it'll possibly be a nice lens for night time sky shots and of course general 24mm stuff too but the big stand out will hopefully be performance at f1.4.

Last edited:
Question, do you guys format in NTSC or PAL?

Does it matter for stills? I think that matters more for video, I notice you get a lot more shooting options in NTSC vs PAL.

It only matters for video surely can't see how it would effect images.

Sell it all and get an a7iii

I like the MFT stuff as it's incredibly fast and compact for what it's capable of so I can't see myself selling it anytime soon. Still undecided on the A7III.

Have you got space in your display unit for another lens?

Oh yes........ I am sure I can make room for a 24mm f1.4 GM, 50mm f1.4 GM and 135mm f1.4 GM :D
Was close to pulling the trigger on the FE 100-400mm GM but rarely use telephoto's so decided against it.

Thanks Graham - I think the 24-105 looks great. It gives you more reach than the 24-70 and fills the gap nicely if you want to go the 100-400 route instead of the 70-200.

Edit - looking at your photos the lens is doing the business :) some cracking photos

Thanks Dave thats exactly what I did I got the 100-400 although I think im going to get a legacy 200mm prime for when I dont want to carry the 100-400 about.

Back