1. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think anyone is debating whether it works or not. I think they are saying it's easier* to design lenses for larger mounts.

*What "easier" exactly means is a bit dubious tbh, could mean more compact lens or lenses with less corrections hence glass elements i.e. permitting simpler design lenses.

Then again look at FE55 I can't really see canikon making a lens that's sharper and/or smaller.

It's all very dubious, we haven't had any credible optic engineers comment on it to fully understand the issue.

2. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Think so and sony is 18mm

3. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Simpler less expensive lenses like the 3k 2870 f2?

Riz_Guru likes this.
  4. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    That's flange distance not diameter. Sony diameter is 46mm.... Bigger than f mount.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  5. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes that's I said in the text you quoted, f-mount flange is larger

6. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well we don't know how much bigger or smaller a similar would be on Sony e-mount

7. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    I think you may be getting confused. The new z mount reg distance is even shorter than Sony, does that make it even worse lol

8. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    :D ffs.
    Can see how that could easily happen with both batteries being in the grip rather than one in the camera.

F/1.4 likes this.
  9. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The GM lenses are rather nice plus it’s pretty much the only full frame system that allows for reliable autofocus with the Sigma Art lenses which are also very nice.

F/1.4 likes this.
  10. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Think you are confusing things.

Raymond f-mount which is similar size to e-mount has been fit for FF for a long time. While that's true, I said but f-mount had a larger flange distance. Implying its not quite comparable to e-mount.

I never made any judgement on what's better or worst since I don't know. I am not an optics engineer.

11. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Nor am I, but we all know the EOS mount has a wider mount too and a similar flange distance yet Nikon got it to work (mostly), except they couldn't make AF F/1.0 lenses with the F-Mount and with the new 55/0.95 being MF and not AF, they still can't…

I dunno, I guess it's all meaningless, all it matters is what lenses you bring out.

My point was that not that long ago Nikon users were all going about diameter is not a problem or make no difference, I mean if the wider mount do make a difference, it would be a bit pointless if they don't come out with some lenses like 28-70/2.0 or 50/1.2 AF out of the block to make their point, wouldn't it? :D

Leica better bring out some AF F/1.0 lenses or it's just all talk.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If they do they'll be the price of a decent car and a complete irrelevance for most people.

13. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    All this lens mount size stuff is all a bit baffling. The Sony system obviously works with f1.2 and wider lenses and works with FF lenses from Sony / Zeiss and a host of others and with all the legacy lenses I have. Me thinks me smells bovine waste material mixed with sour grapes. Either that or the competition is right and Sony have bypassed the problems by employing wizards.

14. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The rumor site reports that Sony will add a top lcd to future models if customers want it.

Who wants one?

I couldn't give a flying. I haven't had one since my Canon days and I don't miss them.

15. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Leica don't make good cameras though, just cameras that have been polished a lot.

16. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    At least while Leica owners are polishing their cameras they're not polishing...

17. redhed17

redhed17

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Here is a Nikon Optical Engineer explaining the need and consequences of the larger lens mount and shorter flange distance with Nikon mirrorless cameras. While he may not be unbiased, he is an Optical Engineer. ;) Time will tell whether Nikon can do things with this larger mount and shorter flange distance that others may not be able to do. Btw, I was very impressed by his drawing in reverse as well as his presentation. :D

View: https://youtu.be/LxT17A40d50

18. redhed17

redhed17

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think Nikon would take the risk of changing to a whole new mount if they didn't think it was needed for various optical reasons to improve the lenses they can now make.
    And if most people think the same as you then it probably won't happen. ;) But maybe, if they do put it one new cameras in the future many others will have probably indicated through Sony surveying that they did give a flying... ;) :LOL:

addicknchips likes this.
  19. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Meh don't care. It's unnecessary. Had it on my a-mount cameras and I never needed it.

20. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Companies exist to make money and Nikons new mount doubtless has merit and maybe a lot of merit but there could just be some marketing in their too. You only have to have a peak into Fuji land to see how marketing has (IMO and arguably etc) dictated the hardware and see the double speak and spin.

I doubt I'm in a majority over the top display, I think many people would like one and I do understand that it'll show you the settings but for me it'll just be another thing I don't value much if at all. I certainly wouldn't discount a camera without one or go for one with for that reason.

21. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nikon changed the mount because they had to reduce the flange distance. Once you remove the mirror there is no real benefit in having such a large flange.
    And while they were at it they felt that a large mount diameter was a good thing. Canon obviously felt the same since they made yet another mount!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.
  22. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Top LCD - No thanks, Id rather have 2x top dials like an A9.

jonneymendoza and Riz_Guru like this.
  23. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I miss the top lcd, find myself looking for it.

Over anything else though I would love them to change the colour of the focus point.

F/1.4 likes this.
  24. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    More information &/or options are always better imo/ime. There’s wasted space on the current a7 line. An extra dial or two like the a9 would be excellent. It’s really not something that should be excluded and only given to the a9.

At first I didn’t like the idea of a top lcd on the Fuji xh1- but they give you the option to customise what info you see. So at a glance being able to see camera settings, amount of shots left on the cards and battery info for example - well that’s really helpful info imo and well worth a flying one.

25. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Seems like mostly marketing talk with claims that have been mostly satisfied by already existing lenses on Sony.
    One extra point I gathered was the claim that they have design lenses that focus faster. I wonder how true that is.

The drawings and presentation of it was pretty cool :D

26. BethAtTheHug

BethAtTheHug

Name:
    Beth
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Top lcd? Nope.

I'd like to see a FF sensor in a A6000 body instead.

jonneymendoza and nandbytes like this.
  27. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    But with additional front dial :D

28. footman

footman

Name:
    Laurence
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    [​IMG]

Bought yesterday from Wex "opened box used", good saving on new, it's in mint condition.

29. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Do you find A7 bodies too big?

Or just find the A7 series too expensive?

30. JJ!

JJ!

Edit My Images:
    No
    The 2nd dial looks a bit unfinished on teh A9 with half of it empty!

31. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    What would be cool if you could customise those empty banks

32. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ken Rockwell might not have biblical powers but at least HE can take a sharp photograph with an A9/FE28mm! lol
    Ergo everything for sale in the classifieds is no good then?

Riz_Guru likes this.
  33. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's not that I couldn't give a flying in a bad way, it's just that I don't care and I just don't miss having one at all. I can see how others would like one though and I do think that more customisability is nice. Having said that I read a post on this site recently from someone who liked the latest Canon (or it could have been Nikon) mirrorless because it wasn't as customisable as Sony and having lots of customisable buttons makes cameras too complicated. That surprised me but each to their own.

34. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The original A7 bodies no, the current ones yes.

35. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    LCD top screen dial, you can program them, display what you want.

36. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Even the original body is bigger than the A6000.

37. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    I think you're in the minority there.

NewBeetle and jj_glos like this.
  38. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    No. I don't want a display I want another top dial. How many more ways do we need to tell us what setting were using, it's on the LCD it's in the evf!

39. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Didn't say it wasn't ;)

Rather unfortunately

40. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Riz_Guru likes this.