The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ive 2 third party batteries which dont even show the warning message with the new firmware

44358880735_66f39994f5_b.jpg

Archie the miniature schnauzer.
Adapted lens shot using Canon FD 135mm f2.8 on a Sony A7ii.
1/60th f6.3 ISO6400
Hardly a technical masterpiece I know but to me it captures his essence.

Do you find A7 bodies too big?
Or just find the A7 series too expensive?

A7 Series bodies are still a bit big and heavy. I take camera and lenses into the mountains so every gram does add up over 15+ miles and 1000m of ascent. Size is important because if it is too big to go in an ordinary sized rucksack side pocket, I won't/can't take it. An A6000 form factor is just ideal. Obviously I don't buy the likes of big and heavy F1.4 lenses, small and light rangefinder lenses are much more my thing.

Is Sony going to rectify the issue or is it a ploy to make everyone buy their batteries in future?

What is the "issue" you want Sony to rectify?

As far as they are concerned OEM batteries work just as they should.

Ever wished you'd read a post before ordering a third party grip and batteries? :LOL::runaway:

My meike grip and batteries are fine. In fairness I usually have the 3rd party one in the grip as the first battery then an oem in the second slot

I literally ordered it today at lunch, then caught up on posts in here :wacky:

It is for an A9 though, which I haven't noticed any posts about the same issue. I'll find out tomorrow! :snaphappy:

I figured why buy £3-4K bodies and skimp on batteries that's constantly in the camera for sake of £30!

I figured why buy £3-4K bodies and skimp on batteries that's constantly in the camera for sake of £30!

I already have OEM's that should cover me. I was just buying a grip to see if it would help with the handling issues I have with the body. I'm not willing to shell out £300 for the official grip just to try it though. The grip wasn't too much more bundled with two batteries and a dual charger so to be honest they're more emergency spares than anything else. Not much good in an emergency if they don't work though!

Because on every other camera system I've owned the 3rd party batteries were nearly 99% as good and in some cases lasted longer!

The ones I have for the Sony system aren't as good tbh but I already have 5 oem ones. They're handy for back to back weddings etc

I already have OEM's that should cover me. I was just buying a grip to see if it would help with the handling issues I have with the body. I'm not willing to shell out £300 for the official grip just to try it though. The grip wasn't too much more bundled with two batteries and a dual charger so to be honest they're more emergency spares than anything else. Not much good in an emergency if they don't work though!

I have the Sony grips they are very poorly made, cheap tat without the cheap price.

Just played with a a7iii in Jessop and it was pretty awesome. The tracking was awesome, nailing shots of people walking past the shop 100%. Was using the 55 1.8.

Surprised they had stock :)

Just played with a a7iii in Jessop and it was pretty awesome. The tracking was awesome, nailing shots of people walking past the shop 100%. Was using the 55 1.8.

Surprised they had stock :)

Time to buy? ;)

More adapted lens shots.
I'm loving the colours and general effect with this Canon FD 135mm F2.8 lens. I'm using a cheapo Fotodiox adapter on the A7ii.
Just some random garden shots:

All shot wide open, 1/60th ISO100 with very little if any adjustment in LR.

I've had a few different FD's in the past & never really had a bad one either!

I've had a few different FD's in the past & never really had a bad one either!

The only bad thing I can say about them is that they maybe lack a little of the look and character of some of my Rokkors but for a more natural unaffected look you can usually rely on the FD's.

More adapted lens shots.
I'm loving the colours and general effect with this Canon FD 135mm F2.8 lens. I'm using a cheapo Fotodiox adapter on the A7ii.
Just some random garden shots:...

All shot wide open, 1/60th ISO100 with very little if any adjustment in LR.

135 and 1/60 sec. Well Done!

Quick one for the guys using Sony & Godox have you had any issues using EFCS?

Never tried them on FF but had a few FD lenses when I was playing around with m4/3 a few years back - were very good and I'd probably consider them for primes v native glass in the future as I do like a bit of manual focus!

I personally don't think that any of the legacy lenses I've had stand comparison to an even half decent modern lens, not for things like vignetting, ca, lack of distortion and sharpness across the frame at wider apertures if you go looking for the differences but for a different look and character especially at wide apertures they certainly provide a different look.

Last edited:
The only bad thing I can say about them is that they maybe lack a little of the look and character of some of my Rokkors but for a more natural unaffected look you can usually rely on the FD's.

Yes. I agree. That ole 'character' thing again ;) I sold all of my FD stuff now except the FD85SSC but that's only because I haven't got around to listing it yet!

Yes. I agree. That ole 'character' thing again ;) I sold all of my FD stuff now except the FD85SSC but that's only because I haven't got around to listing it yet!

I've been thinking of selling some of mine but when they're gone they're gone and I'll probably never rebuy them and for what they'd get on the used market I might as well keep them for the odd occasion that I want the look they give.

If the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras cause legacy lens prices to rise I might change my mind but at the moment even if I only use them a couple of times a year they're maybe worth keeping.

Back