The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You know the 50/1.4 Planar makes sense :D

oaXzGTu.jpg

Or you can get the Sigma (adapted but same size)

Wy2VzT2.jpg

The Sigma Art is very nice too, if you can put up with the size and additional weight.

If you get a chance too it might be worthwhile trying them both out.

I absolutely love the 85 art but its size is a real annoyance tbh. Prepared to live with it as it's absolutely brilliant from wide open. The 85GM is a lovely lens too

55 and the 50 art debate is an interesting one. The 50 art blew my socks off. Crazy, crazy, crazy sharp lens. But so big and heavy though. I found it a chore to take out and use. Not practical for casual stuff. That’s where the 55 is so good. It’s not far behind the art lens imo and I’m much more likely to take it out with me due to its relative compactness. Still one of my favourite lenses.

The size is the main drawback with the Sigma 50, it is a hell of a lump. I think the Sony 50 f1.4 does look nicer but not enough for me to justify the extra money. I like to use a 50 inside as well which can be a challenge, so the 55 f1.8 would make it even more difficult. It is small though, which is the only reason I'd go for it. It'd have to be cheap as well! For the limited times I'd want the smaller lens I'd probably just get the Sony 50 F1.8 and deal with the slower AF.

The size is the main drawback with the Sigma 50, it is a hell of a lump. I think the Sony 50 f1.4 does look nicer but not enough for me to justify the extra money. I like to use a 50 inside as well which can be a challenge, so the 55 f1.8 would make it even more difficult. It is small though, which is the only reason I'd go for it. It'd have to be cheap as well! For the limited times I'd want the smaller lens I'd probably just get the Sony 50 F1.8 and deal with the slower AF.

the 50mm f1.8 is only £180 new - so its not a bad shout and shouldn't be overlooked if you won't be using it much.

How do they compare against one another Ray?

The biggest advantage of the Zeiss is it's CA control, it has VERY little of it, it reminds me of how good the Canon 35L mk2 does in a lot of respect.

I can't comment how the Sigma focuses with the native mount but in terms of IQ, the Sigma does it just fine, I have used mine for 4-5 seasons in weddings and have no complaints, it is one of the best 50mm there is, so all of the sudden if I say the Sigma is bad would be wrong as it has produce images like this

GKpBxqd.jpg

uP7MAtk.jpg

IcZRTnL.jpg

il7l6kP.jpg

ObMY4nk.jpg

But the Zeiss is better by a fraction though....at double the cost.

Last edited:
Are any of the budget primes any good? No way im affording a 1k 50mm lol

Still not what I class as a budget lens though.

I need Samyang to do a 50mm 1.8!

Anything less I would say it's functional, something to tie over rather than long term keeper. Don't spend £3000 on a camera and cheap out on a lens.

But then again, how much do you like the 50mm?

The biggest advantage of the Zeiss is it's CA control, it has VERY little of it, it reminds me of how good the Canon 35L mk2 does in a lot of respect.

I can't comment how the Sigma focuses with the native mount but in terms of IQ, the Sigma does it just fine, I have used mine for 4-5 seasons in weddings and have no complaints, it is one of the best 50mm there is, so all of the sudden if I say the Sigma is bad would be wrong as it has produce images like this

GKpBxqd.jpg

uP7MAtk.jpg

IcZRTnL.jpg

il7l6kP.jpg

ObMY4nk.jpg

As always, stunning images :)

Anything less I would say it's functional, something to tie over rather than long term keeper. Don't spend £3000 on a camera and cheap out on a lens.

I think that’s the dilemma. I do like 50 as a FL but not sure about the sheer size of the art on the small body? I’d like the planar and that would stop the inevitable pangs later on. But, balancing trade in deals with a couple of suppliers and they’re price on the planar is way out.

Not really how I see things TBH! I think you can cheap out on a lens and still get quality images.

Plus the camera was £1600 and would gladly stick a 35mm 2.8 Samyang on the front.

No way I am likely to afford any more expensive glass for years to come!

But is that a reason not to have an A73?!

Not really how I see things TBH! I think you can cheap out on a lens and still get quality images.

Plus the camera was £1600 and would gladly stick a 35mm 2.8 Samyang on the front.

No way I am likely to afford any more expensive glass for years to come!

But is that a reason not to have an A73?!

I am sure you can get quality images adapting a Canon 50/1.8 bought for £50 too.

It's up to each of us to find where that balance is, if your needs are more towards the really budget end then that's fine, just know that going in eyes open that what you are buying isn't going to be the best optically and happy of what it produces.

Last edited:
I think that’s the dilemma. I do like 50 as a FL but not sure about the sheer size of the art on the small body? I’d like the planar and that would stop the inevitable pangs later on. But, balancing trade in deals with a couple of suppliers and they’re price on the planar is way out.

I picked mine up used from ffords for £1050 or £1110 thereabouts.

I am sure you can get quality images adapting a Canon 50/1.8 bought for £50 too.

It's up to each of us to find where that balance is, if your needs are more towards the really budget end then that's fine, just know that going in eyes open that what you are buying isn't going to be the best optically and happy of what it produces.

True, but when it comes to the cheaper lenses, more expensive does not always equal sharper.

The Samyang 35mm 2.8 is sharper than the Sony 2.8 having tested both side by side.

The 55mm 1.8 is somthing I might look at - but would then need a wider prime and the 28mm does not seem to get a lot of love!

Anyway, one of the points of having the A73 for me is at one point going from the 70-200 beast (my staple lens) to then switching to a nice compact prime to have for going super light and fun.

The look of resignation - why can't I get into that cabinet (see how big it is - it occupies the whole wall of the house) :D:D:D

Hehe :D
I had to get the firmware updated on both bodies so thought I would take a few snaps to ensure they still worked lol :)

The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is a great little lens.

Interestingly I had to use AF-C with Eye-AF at 10fps to get some keepers when looking at the eye close up.
AF-S would occasionally wouldn’t give me sharp eye shots when using Eye-AF, I guess it’s down to quick and erratic movements.

GKpBxqd.jpg

uP7MAtk.jpg

IcZRTnL.jpg

il7l6kP.jpg

ObMY4nk.jpg

Very nice Ray.

Bought some Godox today, it's still charging but built quality wise this is impressive. The charger too is well made with similar blinking lights to the Sony charger which sells for £85 !!!

JVE3Vy7.jpg

Bought some Godox today, it's still charging but built quality wise this is impressive. The charger too is well made with similar blinking lights to the Sony charger which sells for £85 !!!
I want an off camera flash eventually, what sort of price does this run with the controller?[/QUOTE]

JVE3Vy7.jpg

just watch out for the hot shoe mount as that is only bit that really lets the build quality down spares can be bought from ebay ;)

Flash is £161, trigger is £60.

This is utter peanuts coming from the prices of 600EX-RT….

Cool, let me know if it's easy to use as I've not had lighting before and only used constant light set ups for product photos etc.

just watch out for the hot shoe mount as that is only bit that really lets the build quality down spares can be bought from ebay ;)

Not half some of the guys I know carry spare hotshoes around with them. Was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago who said he swapped the hotshoes out 3 times at one wedding. Twice for himself and once for his second. :D

Last edited:
Back