The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Really seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. CA is a bit of a pain but assume it's easily corrected, is it that bad? The rendering and AF are the big plus points which I'm tempted to have a gamble on.

The CA is bad for a cheap lens, the zony is very expensive. I can't post samples till Friday evening. It's not always easily correctible. Obviously mostly on shiny or backlit.

lol

ezxn5qT.png

Thanks, I will have to look into that....any idea how you run it as a VM?

I went on the Mersey Tunnel Tour last week and took along my A7 with just a Nikon 20/3.5 as I was expecting a lot of long tunnels and dark hallways. I also grabbed a couple of long exposures of the Albert Dock/Mann Island on the way back to the car (using a Manfrotto Pixi). I keep getting GAS and looking at different systems but the A7 sensor still delivers good results.

Liverpool Mersey Tunnel Tour by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Bit of a mixed bag of processing just playing around last night. The rest of the shots are here

Anyone any first hand experience of the 70-200 f/4?
I had mine for almost a year and I used it more than my other lenses so I upgraded to the 2.8 GM but I only got it as the 24-70 GM I got had issues with my A7Rii and it wasn’t a good copy. When I returned it to my local Sony store they would only exchange it despite the rep confirming there was an issue because it was used (won’t be going back there) and it was the only lens of interest that I didn’t have.
Is it worth twice the price? Yes and no, depends what you want and what you’re doing. The 2.8 is slightly better sharpness wise, better in low light and better bokeh but I’ve took some stunning shots with the F4. I doubt most people could split them if you put 10 prints together.

I went on the Mersey Tunnel Tour last week and took along my A7 with just a Nikon 20/3.5 as I was expecting a lot of long tunnels and dark hallways. I also grabbed a couple of long exposures of the Albert Dock/Mann Island on the way back to the car (using a Manfrotto Pixi). I keep getting GAS and looking at different systems but the A7 sensor still delivers good results.
That last shot really does need to be viewed on Flickr to appreciate the detail. (y)

Bit of a mixed bag of processing just playing around last night. The rest of the shots are here

Like these (but being picky its Canning Dock not Albert Dock!!!) - Love the low angle on the last one, and the controlled exposure, nice to see the Liver clock not blown out!!!

That last shot really does need to be viewed on Flickr to appreciate the detail. (y)

Thanks. This forum really does kill images!

Like these (but being picky its Canning Dock not Albert Dock!!!) - Love the low angle on the last one, and the controlled exposure, nice to see the Liver clock not blown out!!!

Not picky at all, although the Albert Dock is just to the left, and visible on a couple of other shots with the Pump House on the left ;0) Thanks, I really like the PIxi tripod for it's size and simplicity and can carry it in my pocket. The dynamic range, even on the MK1 sensor, is excellent so I could pull back shadows/highlights.

Thanks. This forum really does kill images!

Not picky at all, although the Albert Dock is just to the left, and visible on a couple of other shots with the Pump House on the left ;0) Thanks, I really like the PIxi tripod for it's size and simplicity and can carry it in my pocket. The dynamic range, even on the MK1 sensor, is excellent so I could pull back shadows/highlights.

Its a great location for night time/blue hour photos and one I visit several times a year, always a new angle to be had.

Its a great location for night time/blue hour photos and one I visit several times a year, always a new angle to be had.

Definitely. I live 15 minutes from the City Centre but haven't been over there enough recently. The view out of the Liverpool Museum window is awesome;

A walk around Liverpool by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Last edited:
What's making you try out M4/3rds? I've been looking at alternative systems for a while (GAS) and haven't really considered it but might be missing something!
Back to the old chestnut of size and weight....... its just something I want to try out, as a personal camera I think it would be good enough, for professional work I am not so sure.... no Eye-AF is a bummer although Face-Detect was super sticky.
I had a good play with the Olympus OMD E1 Mark II in store with some Pro lenses and its a pretty quick little body... felt good in the hands and some of the prime lenses are razor sharp too.

Back to the old chestnut of size and weight....... its just something I want to try out, as a personal camera I think it would be good enough, for professional work I am not so sure.... no Eye-AF is a bummer although Face-Detect was super sticky.
I had a good play with the Olympus OMD E1 Mark II in store with some Pro lenses and its a pretty quick little body... felt good in the hands and some of the prime lenses are razor sharp too.

I was reading up on the EM1-ii earlier today. It does look like an excellent body and the lens selection is equally solid. My only concern was that even used bodies are over £1k so it's not necessarily a 'cheap' system. I'm tempted to try out a Fuji XT-2, mainly again due to the lens range.

Riz, as soon as you start putting on Pro lenses, the you'll end up with something as big as an A7III with a kit lens. Please stop buying stuff and start to use what you have.........

http://j.mp/2xTUE0n

Definitely. I live 15 minutes from the City Centre but haven't been over there enough recently. The view out of the New World Museum window is awesome;

A walk around Liverpool by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Steve, I'm going to be picky again!! Thats the Liverpool Museum, The World Museum is next to the Library.

If you fancy a meet up one day, so you you can have a go with an X-T2, then give me a shout, I'm very busy until end of November but am relatively free after that!!

Not sure I can match the DR of an FF sensor, but I'm always willing to give it a bash

170821 Albert Dock 235.1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Steve, I'm going to be picky again!! Thats the Liverpool Museum, The World Museum is next to the Library.

If you fancy a meet up one day, so you you can have a go with an X-T2, then give me a shout, I'm very busy until end of November but am relatively free after that!!

Not sure I can match the DR of an FF sensor, but I'm always willing to give it a bash

170821 Albert Dock 235.1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Aaargh, I really need to stop posting while I'm in a meeting and not concentrating! (post updated). Would be good to meet up later in the year, I'll bring my Chroma along too ;0)

Went and played with both the 70-200GM and the 70-200 f/4 earlier on.

The GM is a super nice lens, excellent but I couldn't really justify it for all the use I have for a 70-200 which I pretty much knew before I went to have a look. The 70-200 f/4 seems pretty decent for what it is and sharp the whole way through the range including at 200mm which some reviews said it wasn't.

Any way I was happy enough with it, so bought one. :)

Sony 70-200 f4

Last edited:

The GM is a super nice lens, excellent but I couldn't really justify it for all the use I have for a 70-200 which I pretty much knew before I went to have a look. The 70-200 f/4 seems pretty decent for what it is and sharp the whole way through the range including at 200mm which some reviews said it wasn't.

Sony 70-200 f4
You dont mess about do you?

unlike me....

still undecided

Sony 70-200 f4

The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS is a cracking lens, if you don't need f2.8, its the best option. I do miss mine sometimes. :D

Which reviews said it wasn’t sharp at 200mm?
I never had a problem with mine, the 24-70 beyond 60mm on the other hand ...

The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS is a cracking lens, if you don't need f2.8, its the best option. I do miss mine sometimes. :D

Am sure there will be times when I think I wish I have got the f/2.8 :D but am sure there will be plenty of others when I am glad I didn't because of the extra weight, the f/4 also seemed a lot more balanced and a better fit for the body without a grip.

Other than using a 70-200 for bits and bobs for myself and the odd outdoor wedding it is a lens I don't use much. Had a quick scan at my lightroom catalogue and only found 6 weddings where I used a 70-200 in the last 3 years and 4 of those where outdoor weddings and I probably could have got away fine with using an 85mm for the other two.

Which reviews said it wasn’t sharp at 200mm?
I never had a problem with mine, the 24-70 beyond 60mm on the other hand ...

Came across one on youtube and another on a blog while having a read through reviews and stuff for it last night. Perhaps there is some copy variation and not sure if it would make much of a difference but pretty sure they where both using older bodies.

Any way seems dead on too me.

Nice pics, but I am seeing a lot of lens flare, especially in such a small collection. Is this peculiar thing with this lens? I know they are points of light, but there are a couple of different types of flair. Does that lens have a hood?

I didn't realise that you were so close to Liverpool! :eek: From reading the Chroma thread I just assumed you were mid to lower down the country, don't know why. If you ever plan a day in the city centre with the Chroma I would appreciate a shout just to see one in the real world. ;) :LOL: I'm only a couple of miles outside the city centre. :)

Nice pics, but I am seeing a lot of lens flare, especially in such a small collection. Is this peculiar thing with this lens? I know they are points of light, but there are a couple of different types of flair. Does that lens have a hood?

I didn't realise that you were so close to Liverpool! :eek: From reading the Chroma thread I just assumed you were mid to lower down the country, don't know why. If you ever plan a day in the city centre with the Chroma I would appreciate a shout just to see one in the real world. ;) :LOL: I'm only a couple of miles outside the city centre. :)

It seems to be a side effect of this lens. There is a lens hood on it although it's pretty slim (appears to be original) and I've noticed the flare on a lot of shots too which is a bit annoying. It's clearly not a 'standard' result but I've seen flare on other Nikon shots (using different Nikon lenses) so I don't know if it's a common occurrence that I need to look out for. When shot away from bright light sources there aren't any issues.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevelloyd/albums/72157665897029127

Yeah, I live on the Wirral (across the Mersey) although I was born in Liverpool and lived there until I was 10. Happy to catch up and bring along a Chroma though...assuming I ever get time outside of the workshop :)

Requested the Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark II, 12-40m f2.8 , 25mm f1.2, 45mm f1.2 and 75mm f1.8 PRO lenses. :eek: :D

Sony 70-200 f4

Niceone lad. Had wanted that lens awhile back. Let me know your thoughts on it when you get shooting abit with it. Fingers crossed Tamron drop another zoom to that FL soon

Back