The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

One thing I'd really like to do is go on a cruise to see the northern lights and if I ever get the chance I'll be looking for a nice wide aperture wide lens.
I have a list of places I would like to visit... need to wait for the kids to get a bit older first otherwise it'll be pure chaos anywhere we went :D lol
I am going to avoid camera GAS and cancel my Olympus. Just stick to finishing off GM lens collecting lol. :eek:

Steve, just do what I do when I get an irresistible urge to buy a new toy... buy a cheap old manual lens for £20-£60. You'll have hours of fun deciding what to go for and finding a good one and you'll go through all the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive and the excitement of receiving it and using it for the first time and seeing the results and all for next to no money.

Cheers Alan, fair advice. I'm not even getting a lot of chance to actually go out and shoot what I enjoy most (landscapes), so buying new gear isn't really going to help me while I'm standing in my workshop building other peoples' cameras! I think I need to take my A7 and one lens to work with me again and get out at lunchtime just to stretch my legs. Haven't done that for a while.

Cheers Alan, fair advice. I'm not even getting a lot of chance to actually go out and shoot what I enjoy most (landscapes), so buying new gear isn't really going to help me while I'm standing in my workshop building other peoples' cameras! I think I need to take my A7 and one lens to work with me again and get out at lunchtime just to stretch my legs. Haven't done that for a while.

To be honest Steve sometimes I just buy stuff to give myself a little lift and some childish excitement. The daily grind can get a bit much and I think we all need a little something selfish / indulgent to look forward to. I do anyway. I really enjoyed getting out for an hour with my A7 and old Nikon pre ai 50mm f2 the other day and processing and messing about with the pictures later. Would I have enjoyed the whole thing more if I'd bought a GM? Probably not :D

Hope you enjoy a nice dinner break walk :D

A7 and Nikon 50mm f2, a bit of a torture test with the sun smack in the frame, processed for an old look in Nik filters analog efex...

1-DSC01790.jpg

It surprised me how sharp it is, 100%...

1-DSC01790-C.jpg

Last edited:
I personally would save my money and go on a trip.

Different lenses shooting the same tree every week gets boring.

The same lens shooting different places is interesting.

One thing I find is that I'm often disappointed with the light where I live but the same light in a different place with a different scene or subject may for some strange reason be absolutely inspiring.

I am off to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Lisbon, Vienna in the space of the next 8 weeks :D
I'm off to the gym. Then home then work next day then gym and home for next 8 weeks...

Lol [emoji23]

Na I'm heading to Barcelona for a long weekend next Thurs and then nothing else for the rest of the year

I'm off to the gym. Then home then work next day then gym and home for next 8 weeks...

Lol [emoji23]

Na I'm heading to Barcelona for a long weekend next Thurs and then nothing else for the rest of the year

I have a trip to Newcastle Upon Tyne in between for a weddubg, does that help you feel better? :D

I'm doing well holding GAS at bay. Helps to have other things to spend your money on, like this little guy. But he is party why i want something with improved AF, the A7R isn't great when something is moving.

ZvPqUSsOxAudMpzdRYssQ0nCDfF2p_OBfXkRK1n-PzmsgNXa5l_Krk8qZqnN-His0nsiQgJMAi0u-EZXjlUQ15ZKFMGaEvtrL-utIVSwaeQgROCEMN-Y4OSGTM1BEEMtbDZ8ajkYRtBAaWPv9mBfLSSYbPxOuYZxwCmztFjbWASMHhlrJ-K4iBTUkRFy6UqR6NK0-ID4lgB2LH8-EvWOuwJHups39S-LIbQn-RnRq83WqUGOMiYgdxffhm9jZ1JEkTgecXesAtBrohzNk7oijCGcw4_Exa9E7tUbR-N1NZ4Xl2LOhF-aFMd0DAm4Oe_x_lwcS9FkzOUA7zzQLYOB1kTpg85950sFoc2ROky0zae7toz-SjlavyIS2SsqN5DXgTqXXSf_TgbP5biLouJmExEFjc5W0bt1bT5qGswCujszlNxz37S4uQTymqTLfM3UmzfpP4O9K7WlY8tnUtkzvd-WDWTyfFWFlhRwnpBKkL9Ri_XKgetwvNTNofDtNZ3XbKcPvmnw1qHUEsfeMvKLONx9TU44uZlgM1zvLoS-2-ifM6QXYebzX54w5h2N_wZN2OpSMHY8C-biiS2PSdY8uEqOZ4TyqW5EdalBJNUzJ0JsZzuvj5Mrg_ih7ybo9ao=w704-h939-no

I can't do any more trips this year really busy for the next 2/3 months.

Have promised myself a trip to Israel next year though, going to go to Jerusalem for a week, then a week in Tel Aviv, then going to Haifa to meet some friends for a few days. Will probably go visit Jericho and Nazareth while I am there as well.

Tell me about it.

I was very settled with my Canon then saw Eye-AF and boom...

Thought I would get a body and then adapt it all...

BOOM, 2 bodies, 4 prime lenses and a flash inside 6 months, I spent like £10k!

My logic when I switched from Canon to Nikon was simply, once your core lenses are in place, the body upgrades wouldn’t have the same ridiculous premium that Canon continue to have. 3 years later and Nikon lose the plot a bit.

I'm going back to Florida in March, which is partly fuelling my gas (it's always good to have an excuse for buying new kit!).
I'm off to NYC next week, birding and fall colours in Central Park, adding to my vast collection of grandchild portraits and more wildlife/birding and fall colours in the Catskills. Mustn't forget drinking in the village pub with the local Trump lovers, very difficult to keep my trap shut when I'm 4 pints in!
Next March booked to go to Spring bird migration in Eilat.

More advanced eye AF etc for A7III etc. Looking promising for a nice FW update in the future

Attachments

• 20181018_155333.jpg
    20181018_155333.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
More advanced eye AF etc for A7III etc. Looking promising for a nice FW update in the future

My guess is that Sony will make existing Eye-AF even more stickier and give you the options to pick right or left eye priority. Maybe even multi Eye-AF and / or eye open detection to ensure no eyes are closed on photos.

Animal Eye-AF for new models [emoji1]

7) About the Sony A7sIII: “The next model should of course be more than they expect. So we’re planning a future S model right now, but it will take time.” Sony also knows that their customers want “4K/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit, and of course more battery power, increased AF accuracy – many things!”

From the rumours site

My guess is that Sony will make existing Eye-AF even more stickier and give you the options to pick right or left eye priority. Maybe even multi Eye-AF and / or eye open detection to ensure no eyes are closed on photos.

Animal Eye-AF for new models [emoji1]

That would be a bummer I like eyes closed for a lot of stuff :)

Back