The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not stirring but keeping it real.

On this site the Canon seems to be getting more interest than the Nikon but on Luminous Landscape it's the other way around.

And a PS.
This thread has from time to time been full of talk of just about anything and everything but Sony but we seem to have survived but mention the competition in some other threads and you're a trolling fanboy.
Lol Alan if the cap fits ;):p

Give it time .anyway they will probably be too busy actually taking photos than waxing their dolphins looking at a cabinet :p

Or too busy being uber Canon fanboi’s defending Canon like it’s the best company in the world acting like they are on the board of directors. ;)

Or too busy being uber Canon fanboi’s defending Canon like it’s the best company in the world acting like they are on the board of directors. ;)

I find there is no reasoning with them. I don’t find any other people quite as bad! I’m pretty sure they said quite bad things about Nikons 1 card slot, the FPS etc etc, but stick a Canon badge on it and suddenly these are all ok.

I reckon if you re-badged a Betamax (young folk may need to google that one!) with a Canon sticker they would all go buy one!

Anyway, less ranting lol. No one wants the Sony 35mm 2.8 so sadly it’s another one going to MPB. Sad times!

I find there is no reasoning with them. I don’t find any other people quite as bad! I’m pretty sure they said quite bad things about Nikons 1 card slot, the FPS etc etc, but stick a Canon badge on it and suddenly these are all ok.

I reckon if you re-badged a Betamax (young folk may need to google that one!) with a Canon sticker they would all go buy one!

Anyway, less ranting lol. No one wants the Sony 35mm 2.8 so sadly it’s another one going to MPB. Sad times!

Perhaps I was a little harsh... but come'on ....... when Canon pushes out the EOS R), you have to accept it and the criticism that comes with that.
I remember when the original A7 came out, the DSLR crowed really ripped Sony a new one.... so much criticism against it... single card slot, lack of lenses etc.... the tables have turned now..... :D Time for Nikon and Canon to face the music..... it wouldn't have been so bad if they had no history of camera making.... but they do.

Perhaps I was a little harsh... but come'on ....... when Canon pushes out the EOS R), you have to accept it and the criticism that comes with that.
I remember when the original A7 came out, the DSLR crowed really ripped Sony a new one.... so much criticism against it... single card slot, lack of lenses etc.... the tables have turned now..... :D Time for Nikon and Canon to face the music..... it wouldn't have been so bad if they had no history of camera making.... but they do.

Yes, there's all that. And the posts where stuff doesn't exist before Canon / Nikon do it.

PS.
I think there's two aspects of the Canikon mirrorless that phase me. Firstly I don't see them as good enough. It's as if they haven't aimed to be the best and I find that difficult to understand. Whenever I went to work I went to win and be the best and I'm always phased when I see what I see as a lack of effort and ambition. Secondly the stuff seems to exist in a vacuum and you're not allowed to mention the competition or indeed criticise it in any way. Again back to my own work I always looked at stuff from the standpoint of the competition and looked for any way to attack and criticise and I used that to make a better product / system. To me criticising a thing isn't fanboy hate it's an essential part of making it better but you're not allowed to.

Tish...

Last edited:
Would they take it if the lens was bought from Panamoz though with it being grey?

They don't seem to care where it came from any more.

MPB are not the company they where though. While every business needs to turn a profit they offer a lot less now for most things than other companies. They used to be pretty reasonable.

I got some stuff quoted for recently to trade a few lenses and bodies and MPB on every single item offered at least 20% less than the other companies who I asked for a quote.

Have also seen several people online recently complain about long turnaround times from sending their equipment in to getting paid and others complaining about MPB lowering the estimate once they received the equipment.

Someone told me recently that they purchased a camera body from them and decided after a month that the change in system wasn't for them so contacted MPB to sell it back to them. When he bought the camera it was described as excellent, he took less than 100 photos with it and the camera was spotless when he tried to arrange to sell it back to them. They offered him £500 less than when he bought it and said the condition was no longer excellent just good. He wasn't a happy bunny. They did eventually agree to change it too excellent again but there was still a very large difference in cost.

I also seen recently on here that they where trying to mislead people in their terms and conditions about distance selling regulations.

Last edited:
Would they take it if the lens was bought from Panamoz though with it being grey?

Not even sure if they can tell whether Sony lenses are Grey or not! They ask where it was purchased but think you could say anything really,

My Grey one went to the.

£150 for the 28-70 seems fair though as no one wants to buy one for that on here!

yes they do but they make you sign T&C which says you are rightful legal owner of the equipment and that you have paid up all the duty and taxes. By signing that you'd be lying after partaking in tax avoidance.
if you are fine with all that go for it :D

You are just seeing what you want to, there are plenty of current Nikon users who don't care about the single shot either, just as there are also many who do care.

The early life of the A7 was no picnic, but there were those who still liked it no matter the short comings. It's perfectly possible to like something whilst knowing that there are still improvements to be made. Just state your preference and let others have theirs, there's no need to get so wound up by it and get into a them and us attitude.

I see a lot of people look at this lens, love the size and bought it for the size but eventually they all move it on...it make me wonder what's wrong with it.

You are just seeing what you want to, there are plenty of current Nikon users who don't care about the single shot either, just as there are also many who do care.

The early life of the A7 was no picnic, but there were those who still liked it no matter the short comings. It's perfectly possible to like something whilst knowing that there are still improvements to be made. Just state your preference and let others have theirs, there's no need to get so wound up by it and get into a them and us attitude.

Ok

Yes, there's all that. And the posts where stuff doesn't exist before Canon / Nikon do it.

PS.
I think there's two aspects of the Canikon mirrorless that phase me. Firstly I don't see them as good enough. It's as if they haven't aimed to be the best and I find that difficult to understand. Whenever I went to work I went to win and be the best and I'm always phased when I see what I see as a lack of effort and ambition. Secondly the stuff seems to exist in a vacuum and you're not allowed to mention the competition or indeed criticise it in any way. Again back to my own work I always looked at stuff from the standpoint of the competition and looked for any way to attack and criticise and I used that to make a better product / system. To me criticising a thing isn't fanboy hate it's an essential part of making it better but you're not allowed to.

Tish...
Maybe that's the Canon way of doing things ie they don't look at what the competition is doing and just do the bare minimum

I see a lot of people look at this lens, love the size and bought it for the size but eventually they all move it on...it make me wonder what's wrong with it.

I guess its the 2.8, rather than is being 1.8 or even 2.0. It is a very nice little lens to use though. Strange but unique hood too lol

Regarding Panamoz pricematch :

"Thanks for your email. Sorry, we're unable to come close to their price, as that's far below our cost. The best price we can offer is 1880 GBP, all inclusive. It's in stock and delivery takes 4-6 business days."

I was an early critic but came to like the A7 despite it's shortcomings as they mostly didn't matter as pretty much all I wanted was Canon 5D quality in a much smaller package and the A7 exceeds my expectations here. However, back then the A7 was pretty much the only option apart from Leica maybe and these days there's a choice of three and soon there'll be the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma and possibly a Pentax too. In that context I'd like to see someone really having a go. Sony seem to have really had a go with the A7III and I think it's a shame that Canikon don't seem to have really pushed themselves and the market. That's how it looks to me anyway.

Maybe that's the Canon way of doing things ie they don't look at what the competition is doing and just do the bare minimum
Maybe they look at Nikon as their main competitor and only keep half an eye on Sony or anyone else. Canon v Nikon wise I suppose the new cameras look like a good match but against the cheaper and arguably better A7III I think they look like a generation or a generation and a half behind in some respects. I never worked like that and I hate seeing it.

As a little one in my family said when I teasingly said it's not the winning but the taking part "NO! It's the winning!" They were right. IMO.

Last edited:
But they knew that going in.
different tools for different purposes. i cant live without my samyang 35 2.8 as its a tiny lens i can take with me in a restaurant or in a club even lol its small! perfect for street and being unnoticed.

Looks like your walking with a point and shoot camera

But they knew that going in.

I quite like it! Still have my copy and still got teh Samyang too. It does make for a nice little walk about lens, and 2.8 is ok for most things. Bonus you can fit a filter under the hood too. I have an additional 49mm lens cap too, so can go hood or no hood!

I think the only thing wrong with it is it isn't f1.8. Other than that in the early days it was the only 35mm choice wasn't it? So lots bought it.

I think that f2.8 is just acceptable but as like many others I'd really like to see a good compact 35mm f1.8. If we ever get one I might still keep the f2.8 because it makes for a very light and compact combination great for everything (if you like 35mm FoV ) apart from very low light handheld shooting, razor thin DoF and close up shots and you can get around the latter to an extent by cropping. For general picture taking from wide open to f8/11 or so it is IMO a very good lens.

Maybe they look at Nikon as their main competitor and only keep half an eye on Sony or anyone else. Canon v Nikon wise I suppose the new cameras look like a good match but against the cheaper and arguably better A7III I think they look like a generation or a generation and a half behind in some respects. I never worked like that and I hate seeing it.

As a little one in my family said when I teasingly said it's not the winning but the taking part "NO! It's the winning!" They were right. IMO.

Nikons first attempt at FF mirrorless isn't that bad. its a few things away from being up there on the spec sheet. but believe it or not -not every photographer wants to shoot mirrorless. It is the future though and Nikon are starting their transition. but its not like death row A mount to E mount transition. i think Nikon will catch up. its still has a massive customer base. the negative response seems over the top imo. mostly by people who will never even use the camera.

Last edited:
Nikons first attempt at FF mirrorless isn't that bad. its a few things away from being up there on the spec sheet. but believe it or not -not every photographer wants to shoot mirrorless. It is the future though and Nikon are starting their transition. but its not like death row A mount to E mount transition. i think Nikon will catch up. its still has a massive customer base. the negative response seems over the top imo. mostly by people who will never even you the camera.

As a camera I think the Nikon z is better than the canon. Faster, better sensor, ibis etc

Nikons first attempt at FF mirrorless isn't that bad. its a few things away from being up there on the spec sheet. but believe it or not -not every photographer wants to shoot mirrorless. It is the future though and Nikon are starting their transition. but its not like death row A mount to E mount transition. i think Nikon will catch up. its still has a massive customer base. the negative response seems over the top imo. mostly by people who will never even you the camera.

I understand that not everyone wants mirrorless. In some ways DSLR v mirrorless choice is next to pointless for some like me who disliked the DSLR experience and were looking for something else. In that context the A7 (first generation models) were valid choices as they did or just about did the job and at first had next to no FF competition. These days you still have the DSLR v mirrorless choice but you also now for the first time (if we ignore Leica for various reasons) have choices within FF mirrorless.

It's the seeming lack of effort and ambition and the fanboyism that get me.

I'll try and move on.

Last edited:
As a camera I think the Nikon z is better than the canon. Faster, better sensor, ibis etc

I don't think there's anything wrong with the R if you look at it as the 6D replacement but accordingly the price seems too high for what it is. It leaves me wondering what Canon is going to do, if this is the mark up for the 6D I'd hate to see what the 5D replacement is going to come in at.

Nikons first attempt at FF mirrorless isn't that bad. its a few things away from being up there on the spec sheet. but believe it or not -not every photographer wants to shoot mirrorless. It is the future though and Nikon are starting their transition. but its not like death row A mount to E mount transition. i think Nikon will catch up. its still has a massive customer base. the negative response seems over the top imo. mostly by people who will never even use the camera.

I did consider the Nikon, I actually really like it. But the FPS and lack of native lenses put me off. The one card slot wasn’t a deal breaker though.

Version 2 will no doubt address most of the issues I guess and there will be native lenses that cover what I would want!

I was an early critic but came to like the A7 despite it's shortcomings as they mostly didn't matter as pretty much all I wanted was Canon 5D quality in a much smaller package and the A7 exceeds my expectations here. However, back then the A7 was pretty much the only option apart from Leica maybe and these days there's a choice of three and soon there'll be the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma and possibly a Pentax too. In that context I'd like to see someone really having a go. Sony seem to have really had a go with the A7III and I think it's a shame that Canikon don't seem to have really pushed themselves and the market. That's how it looks to me anyway.

Undoubtedly Canon are late to market, with the A9 and mkIII releases Sony have really hit their stride. The A7III is a massive hit for them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the R if you look at it as the 6D replacement but accordingly the price seems too high for what it is. It leaves me wondering what Canon is going to do, if this is the mark up for the 6D I'd hate to see what the 5D replacement is going to come in at.

Yeah, their pricing is likely going to suck big time!

The price will drop fast if they don't sell, like the 6d2.

The good thing for Sony is the now decent lens line up. You have budget options all the way up to £££££ options. I know you could argue that Nikon/Canon have an adaptor so access to a lot more lenses, but native wise - Sony has the best options.

Plus both Canon/Nikon are going all guns blazing on optical quality lens wise but it does make them expensive! I'm not sure if they will release some cheaper lenses later down the line.

Back