The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

OMG NO!! ... not the first time. Easily pulled back too ...

SONY! How about that A7III huh? seems a'ight :D

I wonder what camera he'd shoot with today?

A7R3 I reckon, was a sucker for high detailed beards.

I knew it! You had to be an Apple boi :D

Tesco > the rest for me, just for convenience and variety, the M&S here are terrible, they only cater to the knobs who want prawns, wine and mouldy cheese :D I certainly wouldn't do a full shop in there. We don't have the others, there's Super Value, Centra then the usual German twins

We have SuperValue too seems to be mostly for homeless people, vagrants and alcoholics. The micro 4/3's of supermarkets.

Lol, I won't go into cameras but for the supermarkets I agree.....but replace M&S with Waitrose purely because M&S closes too early.

We don’t have Waitrose unfortunately

Last edited:
We don’t have Waitrose unfortunately

Within 1 mile radius, I can get to all of them including Aldi, Lidi, Morrisons, Iceland, M&S, Tesco x 2, Sainsbury's, Co-op, the Range.

I normally go to Sainsbury's, but on the way, I will drive pass a Co-op, Morrion's, Waitrose, Tesco and Aldi and it's only a 5min drive.

Within 1 mile radius, I can get to all of them including Aldi, Lidi, Morrisons, Iceland, M&S, Tesco x 2, Sainsbury's, Co-op, the Range.

I normally go to Sainsbury's, but on the way, I will drive pass a Co-op, Morrion's, Waitrose, Tesco and Aldi and it's only a 5min drive.

We don't have Aldi or Morrison's either.

There used to be one Morrisons but its gone now.

We have SuperValue too seems to be mostly for homeless people, vagrants and alcoholics. The micro 4/3's of supermarkets.

AH! That'll be why I love it! :D

I never shop in SV tbh, mostly Tesco and Centra, because that one is down the road.

Back on topic.

mH5SwRH.jpg

Lidl Bakery Cheese Twists beat all other twists - FACT

I like ASDA lightly salted tortilla chip, 41p a bag. Mrs WW say it's like eating paper.

DoF and colour science seem insignificant when compared to something I can eat and lets not get onto if you put the milk in before the tea or jam on a scone before or after cream.

I can't get it out of my head now.

It was soon as you quoted me the lyrics played out in my head and I was like "AHA!" :D I grew up listening to the Beatles, along with Cream, Hendrix, The Animals, The Kinks etc ... all on vinyl too, my Dad kept his collection pretty good :) until we got our hands on it that is! :/

Right, I'll leave this thread now and let them get back to their shopping wars .. :D

I think a lot of this 'colour science' will be influenced by White Balance settings, and how the cameras measure the light situation, (if Auto WB) or how the presets are set by each manufacturer if they are used.

I shoot in the RAW format on my cameras, and for the last few years have made a custom profile using a Colorchecker Passport to get more accurate colours from each camera. Because of this both my current cameras Nikon D500 and Sony RX100III open up looking pretty much the same. I have no interest in how the Jpegs look and always thought meh when people went on about 'colour science'. Especially when a lot will have been using RAW instead of Jpegs anyway. As long as they are happy eh! ;)

I would love to be in a position to do a more widespread comparison of different cameras and brands with regards to colours just out of interest. I like what Tony Northrup has done though. :D

@JJ! Just watching a few AF vids and note that given your circumstances, it might be worth setting the AF Track Sens to no. 1 (Locked On). In theory, it shouldn't jump off the locked AF point. I also see that wide might be worth more of a look than I initially would have thought.

@JJ! Just watching a few AF vids and note that given your circumstances, it might be worth setting the AF Track Sens to no. 1 (Locked On). In theory, it shouldn't jump off the locked AF point. I also see that wide might be worth more of a look than I initially would have thought.

Yeah looking at some vids and will try some bits and bobs!

Anyone use a Zeiss 135 1.8? Was thinking that I'll replace the Sigma with a native Sony but stumbled across this, which looks smaller and better balanced. Won't be for a while yet though.

Good channel that, he presents information and facts much better than the guffaw style of TN and some other more popular vloggers.

Maybe. I think he has a bit of a machine gun style but although mostly I was just waiting for it to end his closing comments did make me smile just a little at the thought that all this does at least gives someone who's (arguably) paid over the odds for an (arguably and in some ways) inferior product something to use to justify their choice, which is fair enough and gives us a change from pixel count and DR which have both had their time in the spotlight.

What wide is recommended? The Sony guide has the below settings recommended for Equestrian:

14. Canoeing, Equestrian events
Recommended settings

Focus Area Flexible Spot: M or Expand Flexible Spot
AF Track Sens 2
In sports where competitors have to avoid obstacles, set AF Tracking Sensitivity to 2 for stable tracking.

Be interested to view some vids from some pro users - any recommendations?

Hello

After some advice please - I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to make my own mind up on FF - no amount of reading other peoples views helps, I'm going to have to buy one...

So it was an easy decision to go Sony but the A72 or 3 ?

Budget is limited so basically the advantage of the mk 2 is that I could buy one straight away with a good selection of lenses - I am thinking 28-70, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and maybe Sony 50mm f1.8. Size and cost the priority here.

If I decide on the mk 3 I will have to save my pennies until probably later this year - I will only be able to get one lens and then I'll save up for others.

Part of me thinks the mk 3 is overkill for an amateur but the other part of me thinks if I'm going to buy a dream camera it might as well be the dream camera !

thanks

Last edited:
I have the mk1 A7 and it's fine for static or slow moving stuff and I've mostly been using it with manual lenses or with AF lenses and just one focus point, moving it abut as needed, but... I've recently been using and been very impressed with face detect and I'm sure that the A7III and its eye detect and faster focusing will be even more impressive :D

I think that the 28-70mm kit lens is possibly under rated. I think it's actually quite good with acceptable performance across the frame from wide open and really it's only the aperture range that's restricting but that's the price we pay for having a light, compact and relatively cheap lens.

Good luck choosing :D

A couple of scenic shots while sat on the grass and one of Mrs WW, all to send to her family :D

A7 and 35mm f2.8.

1-DSC01999.jpg

1-DSC02005.jpg

1-DSC01998.jpg

Hello

After some advice please - I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to make my own mind up on FF - no amount of reading other peoples views helps, I'm going to have to buy one...

So it was an easy decision to go Sony buyt the A72 or 3 ?

Budget is limited so basically the advantage of the mk 2 is that I could buy one straight away with a good selection of lenses - I am thinking 28-70, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and maybe Sony 50mm f1.8. Size and cost the priority here.

If I decide on the mk 3 I will have to save my pennies until probably later this year - I will only be able to get one lens and then I'll save up for others.

Part of me thinks the mk 3 is overkill for an amateur but the other part of me thinks if I'm going to buy a dream camera it might as well be the dream camera !

thanks

What do you take photos of?

Hello

So it was an easy decision to go Sony buyt the A72 or 3 ?

thanks

The 28-70 & 24 & 50 is a lot of cross over- would you need them all? The 35mm Samyang 2.8 would be a good alternative to look at too and good for tha majority of situations.

What do you take photos of?

Landscape mainly but basically any photography when I am travelling so Architecture and some night time shots. Nothing that particularly requires fast A/F although of course its nice to have.

I shoot JPEG as Olympus JPEGS are excellent.

The 28-70 & 24 & 50 is a lot of cross over- would you need them all? The 35mm Samyang 2.8 would be a good alternative to look at too and good for tha majority of situations.

Yes I agree - I was thinking the 28-70 as its reasonably small and practical - the 24mm as this is my preferred focal length for wide angle and then either a 35mm or 50mm Prime for low light..

Yes I agree - I was thinking the 28-70 as its reasonably small and practical - the 24mm as this is my preferred focal length for wide angle and then either a 35mm or 50mm Prime for low light..

At the moment your AF 35mm choices are compact f2.8's or big fat and expensive f1.4's. If f2.8 isn't enough and f1.4's are a bit big and expensive that could push you more towards 50mm.

Landscape mainly but basically any photography when I am travelling so Architecture and some night time shots. Nothing that particularly requires fast A/F although of course its nice to have.

I shoot JPEG as Olympus JPEGS are excellent.

Sounds like you would be better off with an A7rii.

Back