The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What?!

31807591148_704120e55d_k.jpg

I remember asking Mark Galer about BBF a few months ago and he said that it wasn't necessary with mirrorless cameras because they don't lose focus between frames when using the shutter button and continuously focus anyway...

I've seen a used A73 for £1500 - 6 mnths warranty and sold new in August - they cant tell me the shutter count.

Is this a good price ?

thanks

I remember asking Mark Galer about BBF a few months ago and he said that it wasn't necessary with mirrorless cameras because they don't lose focus between frames when using the shutter button and continuously focus anyway...

I’m only a couple of weeks in, but that isn’t my experience? It does seem to, especially in lower light levels?

So picked up a used A7iii (early retirement pressie) by a million miles the most expensive camera I've ever bought !!!

Felt a little sick paying for it !

Can anyone point out a useful tips/guide to get hte set up right ?

thanks

Oh I do like this! I’ve shot the previous model, she’s very good indeed.

Carla is something else, isn't she?

Marie (B&W) is also very good too. Well worth shooting.

Can anyone offer advice please? a7ii vs a7sii

I'm after a body for street. I really, really, really (!) wanted the Ricoh GRIII but I think I've talked myself out of it. I'm a low light shooter for sure. I love low light street. I often go out late hours shooting. I originally settled on the a7S ii due to everyone raving about its ISO performance. 12mp doesn't scare me in the slightest. I NEVER use video, ever. I tried < 30s once on my D5 and never used it again. Video has no part to play in my life. If I ever do decide to do video, it'll only be those action cameras (the name escapes me at the minute...the very famous ones! The 4k black one????) Ricoh hasn't said anything about weather sealing. I'm also a bit meh about being forced to use a 28mm lens. I've not totally written it off but it's highly unlikely at this moment in time.

I'm happy with the specs of both Sony MK ii's. I've chosen the mk2 over the first version because of IBIS. I don't need the expense or the features of the 3 for street. Yes, my two choices are probably overkill for street. However, I also see me using it in other situations too.

I've seen some awesome shadow recovery on the a7ii. Although mp has no part to play in my decision, I think the ability to crop a7ii files PP, is appealing. Not that the 12mp files cannot be cropped, but there's more leeway with the 24mp file. It's also a cheaper body...I'm probably 60/40 in favour of the a7ii. My reservation with the a7sii is that I'd be paying for a feature I will not use. It's allegedly a very good feature, but still, I won't use it. I know the a7siii doesn't exist yet before that gets pointed out!! Thanks for listening to me waffle.

So interesting example of Auto-ISO in action between 2 cameras. The 70-200 GM is mounted to both the A7III and A9, and due to the terrible lighting these are at 1/320 and f2.8.

All other settings are the same. But the difference in AUTO-ISO was quite large! The light was the same, although the way the cameras handled it also different.

In most instances 2500-5000 compared to 8000-10000 on the other.

This is of course not a scientific test, but was constant throughout the images.

8jAUBRe.jpg

fFCh4Zf.jpg

So interesting example of Auto-ISO in action between 2 cameras. The 70-200 GM is mounted to both the A7III and A9, and due to the terrible lighting these are at 1/320 and f2.8.

All other settings are the same. But the difference in AUTO-ISO was quite large! The light was the same, although the way the cameras handled it also different.

This is of course not a scientific test, but was constant throughout the images.

What camera was give what range in terms of auto iso?

What camera was give what range in terms of auto iso?

They are not exact figures but just the range they are between. The A9 was constantly giving the higher figures.

They are not exact figures but just the range they are between. The A9 was constantly giving the higher figures.

Interesting so the A9 wanted Higher ISO than the A7iii wanted

So picked up a used A7iii (early retirement pressie) by a million miles the most expensive camera I've ever bought !!!

Felt a little sick paying for it !

Can anyone point out a useful tips/guide to get hte set up right ?

thanks

I hope you'll be very happy with it :D

One thing I've done recently is set up the two custom modes on the top dial, my camera has two, yours may have three? I have one set up for manual exposure with f1.8 and 1/250, wide area focus and face detect and the other set up for face detect, wide area and f1.8 in aperture priority. You could go for eye detect rather than face, mine doesn't have eye detect.

8jAUBRe.jpg

fFCh4Zf.jpg

The image on the left isn't sharp but the one on the right is?

The image on the left isn't sharp but the one on the right is?

Genuinely throughout that was the case. Not just that image. Same settings on both.

May have been different types of focus points, I can’t remember!

Genuinely throughout that was the case. Not just that image. Same settings on both.

May have been different types of focus points, I can’t remember!

Hi JJ,

my own personal thoughts are that the shutter speeds you are using with the A9 are far to slow. With the higher resolution sensor you need to use a much faster shutter speed than with the 24mp sensor. Try at double the reciprocal rule or even higher as a starting point and see if that helps.

Hi JJ,

my own personal thoughts are that the shutter speeds you are using with the A9 are far to slow. With the higher resolution sensor you need to use a much faster shutter speed than with the 24mp sensor. Try at double the reciprocal rule or even higher as a starting point and see if that helps.

Same MP

Hi JJ,

Yeah same MP both cameras.

Back