The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Pretty sure X Trans II with on chip phase detect is already Sony (as per @twist) although rumours that the X Trans I was Toshiba.

Wonder if they will purposefully make it worse than the 24-70, after all, in theory it should be but then itll just be a huge stinking pile of poo.

I expect it'll be the same optics as the current kit, just with a constant f4, but you never know, if it is better maybe it'll be a cue for zeiss to update their paper weight.

I expect it'll be the same optics as the current kit, just with a constant f4, but you never know, if it is better maybe it'll be a cue for zeiss to update their paper weight.

Yeah, never know, those arent real Zeiss lenses imo, they shouldve been given the G badge (the 55mm deserves its badge though), Batis and Loxia are Zeiss.

Yeah, never know, those arent real Zeiss lenses imo, they shouldve been given the G badge (the 55mm deserves its badge though), Batis and Loxia are Zeiss.

Rumour is that the Batis 85mm was designed by Tamron. We'll probably never know the amount of input each company puts into each product but I think it's pretty safe to say that the Batis 85mm isn't an exclusively Zeiss product. My guess is that they approved the design and maybe had some input into quality control and testing routines, but was it designed in a Zeiss design department and manufactured in a Zeiss factory? I doubt it.

Rumour is that the Batis 85mm was designed by Tamron. We'll probably never know the amount of input each company puts into each product but I think it's pretty safe to say that the Batis 85mm isn't an exclusively Zeiss product. My guess is that they approved the design and maybe had some input into quality control and testing routines, but was it designed in a Zeiss design department and manufactured in a Zeiss factory? I doubt it.

Saw that, I think Tamron have designed a few lenses for Sony. What I mean by that is more their build, image rendering and performance characteristics not who really designed or collaborated with Zeiss etc.

More their 'worthiness' to carry the badge.

I'd guess that the relationship between Sony and Zeiss is pretty close but personally I just see the Zeiss badge as Sony aiming at the higher end of the market, maybe Sony / Zeiss is a little more two companies collaborating than something like Nissan / Infinity :D but it's my choice to see it like that :D

I used to work for a number of companies who used to manufacture stuff that went out the door with a different manufacturers name on the product and on the box and in reality the relationships can be very close, but we'll never know exactly what the relationships are and what the exact DNA of the product is.

I suspect by the time we are on the mk4 the Sony will have the full af speed and it will be the best camera that canon never made....

Saw that, I think Tamron have designed a few lenses for Sony. What I mean by that is more their build, image rendering and performance characteristics not who really designed or collaborated with Zeiss etc.

More their 'worthiness' to carry the badge.

Yeah didn't Sony own a stake in Tamron for a while? Very close relationship with a lot of the Sony lenses being worked on by them.

Free time and a nice red sky sunset still haven't coincided since I got the 35mm f2.8 but I'll get one one day :D

It's a very nice lens and it would be even better if it was this size and weight and f1.8 instead of f2.8 :D

PS. There were a couple of Asian guys shooting tripod mounted Canon DSLR's with what looked like kit lenses. I'm not sure that a tripod was needed. I was at f8, ISO 100 and getting three figure shutter speeds.

Last edited:
Free time and a nice red sky sunset still haven't coincided since I got the 35mm f2.8 but I'll get one one day :D

It's a very nice lens and it would be even better if it was this size and weight and f1.8 instead of f2.8 :D

PS. There were a couple of Asian guys shooting tripod mounted Canon DSLR's with what looked like kit lenses. I'm not sure that a tripod was needed. I was at f8, ISO 100 and getting three figure shutter speeds.
They may have used nd filters

No ND that I could see and they were 2ft away and they took pictures as snickerty as I did so not long exposures. I mention kit lens as this gives an idea of focal length and personally I'd be looking for a shutter speed of maybe 2 x focal length so an adequate shutter speed should easily be possible at ISO 100 to 200 as indicated by their snickerty quick exposures. If they'd been shooting with very long lenses then fair enough but shooting with a wide to short tele pointed at the setting sun a tripod seemed unnecessary to me. Maybe they were being over cautious but the length of time they took to setup each shot I'd have taken the shot and moved on to the next or just sat back to enjoy the scene long before they did.

I'm just a bit of a people watcher so I couldn't help but watch what they were doing :D

Last edited:
No ND that I could see and they were 2ft away and they took pictures as snickerty as I did so not long exposures. I mention kit lens as this gives an idea of focal length and personally I'd be looking for a shutter speed of maybe 2 x focal length so an adequate shutter speed should easily be possible at ISO 100 to 200 as indicated by their snickerty quick exposures. If they'd been shooting with very long lenses then fair enough but shooting with a wide to short tele pointed at the setting sun a tripod seemed unnecessary to me. Maybe they were being over cautious but the length of time they took to setup each shot I'd have taken the shot and moved on to the next or just sast back to enjoy the scene long before they did.

I'm just a bit of a people watcher so I couldn't help but watch what they were doing :D

Maybe it was the local Alcoholics Anonymous outing and they all had the shakes, did you follow them home? :D

Maybe it was the local Alcoholics Anonymous outing and they all had the shakes, did you follow them home? :D

To China? No.

I think there must be a tour group in or something as I've been to that spot a few times recently and there have been groups of what I think are young Chinese people about and they're very welcome. Saw a similar thing in the hills the other day and a guy was shooting a similar setup tripod mounted and looked to be pointed at the same shot I'd taken only in my case I'd shot 85mm handheld.

Personally I'm not a big tripod user and in fact will only use one if it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
To China? No.

I think there must be a tour group in or something as I've been to that spot a few times recently and there have been groups of what I think are young Chinese people about and they're very welcome. Saw a similar thing in the hills the other day and a guy was shooting a similar setup tripod mounted and looked to be pointed at the same shot I'd taken only in my case I'd shot 85mm handheld.

Personally I'm not a big tripod user and in fact will only use one if it's absolutely necessary.

Each to their own - I use mine a lot more now than I ever did as it certainly gives me sharper images.

Wouldnt be without mine especially for landscapes where theres moving water or cloud. You can put so much more thought in to a shot.

I only use my tripod to hold a flash, but agree with what youre saying here.

Wouldnt be without mine especially for landscapes where theres moving water or cloud. You can put so much more thought in to a shot.

Yeah I do tend to take more time over a shot when I'm with the tripod, I rarely don't use filters now as well so its just become the norm!

Yeah I do tend to take more time over a shot when I'm with the tripod, I rarely don't use filters now as well so its just become the norm!

Definitely, even a polariser can lower ss enough to warrant use of tripod, particularly early or late in the day.

Nearly.

Sold that A7 yet?

No but i have ordered another one and and a laea4 lol :crying:
Looking back at the files from my previous cameras at 100%, the Sony is better, despite its pitfalls. Getting the kit lens too, just to tide me over until an alternative arrives :cool:

No but i have ordered another one and and a laea4 lol :crying:
Looking back at the files from my previous cameras at 100%, the Sony is better, despite its pitfalls. Getting the kit lens too, just to tide me over until an alternative arrives :cool:

The Sony sensors are very good. So why 2 bodies, youre a landscaper right?

Each to their own - I use mine a lot more now than I ever did as it certainly gives me sharper images.
As you say, each to their own. I normally use something between 28 and 85mm and I know I'll want a shutter speed at least into the low hundreds with a reasonable ISO. I do understand the whole slow down with a tripod thing but I also find myself fighting the tripod and copromising on the framing and a tripod can just be (for me) too much mess on so if the aperture, ISO and shutter speed all look ok and the result stands up to 100% pixel peeping when I get home (the above shot does) I don't regret not taking more time with a tripod. I did actually carry my tripod for a few miles the other day but all it did was rest on the ground while I shot handheld. It doesn't see a lot of use.

PS. 42.5 deg in the sun here.

Last edited:
I can recommend the Nissin i40 flash for the A7, not cheap @ £148 though :)
This seems a great little flash with lots of power.
I am just deciding if I should get this or for the same price a new hvl 20 and a used hvl42 (purely for of camera flash use) both would come to roughly the same price. If I bought the nissin what would be the cheapest way to get ttl wireless with it?

I had one with my A7 and it worked great for me. If I stick with the A7R and sell the Nikon kit, I'll get another one.

Back