The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm looking at making the move to FF mirrorless, inparticular the Sony range of mirrorless. I've poured over countless reviews and online articles for all the recent releases, I am currently shooting with a Nikon D3300 and having had a look at the Z range I am still of the opinion the Sony range are more advanced (I kind of expected more from Nikon moving into the mirrorless market).

My budget just about stretches to an A7iii but could comfortably afford an A7rii however I'm not sure whether or not I need the 42mp, or the file sizes for that matter!!

I just wondered on opinions of owners what their thoughts were? Pro's and Con's to both? I mainly shoot real estate/architecture images but don't mind the occasional portrait either (something the EyeAF would help out with a great deal on a Sony!).

I thought about starting a new thread for this but thought better to post somewhere the owners actually frequent!!

I'm looking at making the move to FF mirrorless, inparticular the Sony range of mirrorless. I've poured over countless reviews and online articles for all the recent releases, I am currently shooting with a Nikon D3300 and having had a look at the Z range I am still of the opinion the Sony range are more advanced (I kind of expected more from Nikon moving into the mirrorless market).

My budget just about stretches to an A7iii but could comfortably afford an A7rii however I'm not sure whether or not I need the 42mp, or the file sizes for that matter!!

I just wondered on opinions of owners what their thoughts were? Pro's and Con's to both? I mainly shoot real estate/architecture images but don't mind the occasional portrait either (something the EyeAF would help out with a great deal on a Sony!).

I thought about starting a new thread for this but thought better to post somewhere the owners actually frequent!!

MK3 is better in every way except resolution and price.

Classifieds is dead as hector here now but will ask in here as I reckon this thread gets more traffic than the entire classifieds. After a Sony 85 1.8 purely for video if anyone has one they wanna sell

Classifieds is dead as hector here now but will ask in here as I reckon this thread gets more traffic than the entire classifieds. After a Sony 85 1.8 purely for video if anyone has one they wanna sell

I bought mine grey from E-Infin as the brand new price was around what they go for used.

Last edited:

Isn’t it! Not like it used to be.

As other suggested - move to Sony - you will not regret it (well, coming from a fanboy)
And yes, Sony A7 III will do all your requirements.

Me personally use A7R II and last few days I was looking more and more about A7 III and probably will order it very soon and may be the Tamron 28-75 as well.

Anyway - don't think about it too much - life is short anyway - enjoy it! :)

I use both side by side for weddings so I can probably help.

The r2 files mean there’s lots of scope for cropping when you’re editing and still getting excellent images. The 7iii has much better af, much faster frame rate, continuous silent shooting, bigger dynamic range and anti flicker. They’re both extremely capable, I suppose if the resolution isn’t an issue then it’s a choice between second generation and more money for glass or third generation and less money in your wallet!

I find the r2 a little frustrating at times but I’ve also shot some weddings where I’ve used that more than the 7iii but that’s usually because I only use primes and at busy weddings you make a choice of which lens is on which body and you can get stuck for a while.

The r2 files mean there’s lots of scope for cropping when you’re editing and still getting excellent images. The 7iii has much better af, much faster frame rate, continuous silent shooting, bigger dynamic range and anti flicker. They’re both extremely capable, I suppose if the resolution isn’t an issue then it’s a choice between second generation and more money for glass or third generation and less money in your wallet!

I find the r2 a little frustrating at times but I’ve also shot some weddings where I’ve used that more than the 7iii but that’s usually because I only use primes and at busy weddings you make a choice of which lens is on which body and you can get stuck for a while.

Interesting thoughts as I'd wondered what a A7III and A7RII combo would be like.

Might as well open your window and shout, I want to buy an 85mm lens out the window as use the classifieds, you will have just as much luck.

Anyway, stop being so tight and just buy a new one.

Why have these got so popular for video all of a sudden seen a lot of them around recently?

The video guy at our wedding on Saturday shot the whole day apart from the speeches on an FE85.

Last edited:
Might as well open your window and shout, I want to buy an 85mm lens out the window as use the classifieds, you will have just as much luck.

Anyway, stop being so tight and just buy a new one.

Why have these got so popular for video all of a sudden seen a lot of them around recently?

The video guy at our wedding on Saturday shot the whole day apart from the speeches on an FE85.

Smaller, lighter and the video AF is amazing on it lad. I shot a wedding film at castle Leslie the other week and lugged around a tonne of gear and I'll never make that mistake again lol

Just gonna buy from e infinity perhaps.

Part of me wished i kept it for its size :p

Me too I sold it again a few weeks later.

Smaller, lighter and the video AF is amazing on it lad. I shot a wedding film at castle Leslie the other week and lugged around a tonne of gear and I'll never make that mistake again lol

Just gonna buy from e infinity perhaps.

The guy at our wedding on Saturday works for one of the really hipster type video places I see a lot on Instagram.

All he brought with him was an FE85 and a Samyang 35. He had a Canon something or other set up as a remote camera at times with a 50mm.

Last edited:
As other suggested - move to Sony - you will not regret it (well, coming from a fanboy)
And yes, Sony A7 III will do all your requirements.

Me personally use A7R II and last few days I was looking more and more about A7 III and probably will order it very soon and may be the Tamron 28-75 as well.

Anyway - don't think about it too much - life is short anyway - enjoy it! :)

Thanks very much, both useful pieces of advice! Might have to hold out for the A7iii then (I kind of knew that would be the case!).

I’m looking for a light and cheap zoom lens to go with the 24mm Samyang that I’m also looking for - is the 28-70 worth a punt ?

I’m looking for a light and cheap zoom lens to go with the 24mm Samyang that I’m also looking for - is the 28-70 worth a punt ?

Used mine for a bit and seems pretty good for a kit lens, better than the normal Nikon/Canon versions IMO.

I'm getting a cheap and cheerful 50 1.8!

I am considering to get the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, which in your case will add very well to the Samyang 24mm.
All around very positive reviews.

By the way are you happy with the Samyang 24mm F/2.8 (not sure which body you are using it with) ?

Yes. For what it is and what it costs I think it's a good lens.

I am considering to get the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, which in your case will add very well to the Samyang 24mm.

By the way are you happy with the Samyang 24mm F/2.8 (not sure which body you are using it with) ?

Not cheap though ;)

The rumor site links to a review of the Sony 24mm f1.4...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...is-a-new-masterpiece-from-sony/#disqus_thread

Direct to the review...

https://sonyalpha.blog/2018/11/07/sony-24mm-f1-4-gm/

For those who don't want to click on the link here's the conclusion...

"The Sony 24mm F1.4 GM is a new masterpiece from Sony and well deserve its GM label. It is certainly one of the best 24mm if we consider all criteria together

Excellent sharpness wide open across the full field, even wide open (Note : for close distance corners are “only” very good at F1.4/F2)
  • Fast and accurate AF with very good Eye AF performance
  • Small and light
  • Excellent bokeh and very smooth background blur
  • Fast Aperture : F1.4 : perfect for low light
  • Very small focusing distance + F1.4 = perfect for small depth of field
  • Very good contrast and 3D effect at F1.4 for people portraits
  • No field curvature
  • Very low distorsion
  • Very low coma (suited for Astrophotography)
  • Suited for video thanks to click less aperture ring
  • Very good color rendition (but Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 is excellent)
  • Very well built, weather sealed.
There are however a few area where it is not “perfect”
  • Very small amount of CA
  • Resistance to flare is good but not excellent
  • Vignetting at F1.4 & F2 (a future Lightroom Lens profile will correct it)
  • Price (but in line with GM price range)
The lens is very versatile and will be the perfect choice for landscape, street photography, low light, architecture, people reportage, full body portraits, astrophotography, and this both in photo and in video."

Last edited:

Not got one yet. It will be ! I’ve got an A7iii

The rumor site links to a review of the Sony 24mm f1.4...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...is-a-new-masterpiece-from-sony/#disqus_thread

Direct to the review...

https://sonyalpha.blog/2018/11/07/sony-24mm-f1-4-gm/

For those who don't want to click on the link here's the conclusion...

"The Sony 24mm F1.4 GM is a new masterpiece from Sony and well deserve its GM label. It is certainly one of the best 24mm if we consider all criteria together

Excellent sharpness wide open across the full field, even wide open (Note : for close distance corners are “only” very good at F1.4/F2)
  • Fast and accurate AF with very good Eye AF performance
  • Small and light
  • Excellent bokeh and very smooth background blur
  • Fast Aperture : F1.4 : perfect for low light
  • Very small focusing distance + F1.4 = perfect for small depth of field
  • Very good contrast and 3D effect at F1.4 for people portraits
  • No field curvature
  • Very low distorsion
  • Very low coma (suited for Astrophotography)
  • Suited for video thanks to click less aperture ring
  • Very good color rendition (but Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 is excellent)
  • Very well built, weather sealed.
There are however a few area where it is not “perfect”
  • Very small amount of CA
  • Resistance to flare is good but not excellent
  • Vignetting at F1.4 & F2 (a future Lightroom Lens profile will correct it)
  • Price (but in line with GM price range)
The lens is very versatile and will be the perfect choice for landscape, street photography, low light, architecture, people reportage, full body portraits, astrophotography, and this both in photo and in video."

Hopefully by the time I've saved up for one, the price will have dropped a bit.

FFS!

In the name of all that's holy it's about f-ing time!

Halleluiah!

It'll depend how BIG it is but if it's a reasonable size they can charge what they want for it and I'll pay.

But...
Dunno when I'll get time to use it. I haven't taken a picture since 2nd November which is quite a while for me but I just don't get the free time these days.

Game changer
FFS!

In the name of all that's holy it's about f-ing time!

Halleluiah!

It'll depend how BIG it is but if it's a reasonable size they can charge what they want for it and I'll pay.

But...
Dunno when I'll get time to use it. I haven't taken a picture since 2nd November which is quite a while for me but I just don't get the free time these days.

It means I wont have to give up on Sony and buy the Nikon, so that keeps the costs down and makes things simpler.

I'd probably keep the 35mm f2.8 too as it's just so compact it might still get used if compactness is important.

It means I wont have to give up on Sony and buy the Nikon, so that keeps the costs down and makes things simpler.

I'd probably keep the 35mm f2.8 too as it's just so compact it might still get used if compactness is important.

both the new canon and Nikon ones look relatively small and compact so i don't see why sony couldn't do the same.

Has anyone bought from e Infinity before? They seem to have the A7iii with the 28-70 kit lens for less than £1800? Obviously looking at grey imports but amazed the price is what it is. Not heard of them before though?

Has anyone bought from e Infinity before? They seem to have the A7iii with the 28-70 kit lens for less than £1800? Obviously looking at grey imports but amazed the price is what it is. Not heard of them before though?

If you look in the Shopping section lots of people have used them - only issue is that it is not a local guarantee so if anything goes wrong you would have to send it to HK.

For that reason I would pay the extra for Panamoz....

Back