The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I get what you're saying, I just thought you have FD already on the A7, how much better is it on the III? Was it improved for the A7II? That could be a good compromise if so

I think an A7III will be quicker, the A7 is a bit sluggish. Waaaay slower than my later MFT cameras.

Been out all day. Did the pound rally after the slapping about it took yesterday? Can’t see grey prices falling if the sh@t show at Westminster continues.

Been out all day. Did the pound rally after the slapping about it took yesterday? Can’t see grey prices falling if the sh@t show at Westminster continues.

Last 7 days.

oyG7IaM.png

Does anyone on here with an A73 shoot in jpeg ?

Don’t want to turn this into a RAW v JPEG debate but just wondered if they are as good as the reviews say ?

It's only going to get worst, I am half expecting prices to go up!!
The whole thing is mess, I am not even sure if we have any single coherent party any more.

Sony jpegs suck balls. Shoot raw.

Apparently it's good these days.

A bit OT.

What are points?

I see on my profile page I have points, probably you have them too??? but I can't find an explanation as to what they are or why I have them. Points? Why? How????

A bit OT.

What are points?

I see on my profile page I have points, probably you have them too??? but I can't find an explanation as to what they are or why I have them. Points? Why? How????

Trophy points? You get them for doing stuff on the forum like first like, 1000 posts and all that jazz.

It's only going to get worst, I am half expecting prices to go up!!
The whole thing is mess, I am not even sure if we have any single coherent party any more.

Apparently it's good these days.

With a baffled look on her face Mrs WW said yesterday "You had a vote to leave the EC but you may not leave? This is democracy? We learned democracy from the UK and you do this?"

Well... apparently so.

Last edited:
Trophy points? You get them for doing stuff on the forum like first like, 1000 posts and all that jazz.

Oh. Thanks. That's nice.

I thought I was on my way to a crystal decanter or something. Apparently not then. At least I got a necklace with some air miles recently.

With a baffled look on her face Mrs WW said yesterday "You had a vote to leave the EC but you may not leave? This is democracy? We learned democracy from the UK and you do this?"

Well... apparently so.
the media love to stir up half the s*** flying around,a possible this a possible that,drop the media and everythings going ok:)

the media love to stir up half the s*** flying around,a possible this a possible that,drop the media and everythings going ok:)
Can't help feeling that we're the laughing stock of the world. Either that or like Mrs WW they're wondering WTF is going on. Thank gosh we're known for our sense of humour.

At least Jessica sits still [emoji3]

The key could do with being a touch higher but I don’t personally mind it around there. Around 1-2 o’clock in the catchlight is optimal imo. Where’s the light on her right shoulder from? Looks like a bit of spill from the key, a touch more feathering?

Little things that I don’t always pick up until afterwards but I’m trying more to slow down and study things. But that’s with a still model. Rosie still won’t sit long enough and so everything is a little ‘loose.’

Last edited:
At least Jessica sits still [emoji3]

The key could do with being a touch higher but I don’t personally mind it around there. Around 1-2 o’clock in the catchlight is optimal imo. Where’s the light on her right shoulder from? Fill or spill off the key?
Spill from the key, it's aimed 90 degrees across her. No fill light, but there probably should be, or a reflector

Spill from the key, it's aimed 90 degrees across her. No fill light, but there probably should be, or a reflector

I was editing whilst you typed. I can see it’s spill on second look.

I like heavy shadow personally, so fill is to personal taste and to the feel of what you want to achieve. Small rooms sometimes don’t help with light bouncing off and filling in anyway. I bought a 5ft reflector with a black side to help absorb. Worth picking up a cheap one. It’s a cheap V flat for home use.

Are you enjoying it? I really do, but the attention span of my in-house models isn’t particularly good.

I was editing whilst you typed. I can see it’s spill on second look.

I like heavy shadow personally, so fill is to personal taste and to the feel of what you want to achieve. Small rooms sometimes don’t help with light bouncing off and filling in anyway. I bought a 5ft reflector with a black side to help absorb. Worth picking up a cheap one. It’s a cheap V flat for home use.

Are you enjoying it? I really do, but the attention span of my in-house models isn’t particularly good.
Yeah I am, the drive to Birmingham every couple of months is a pain, but worth it to learn more.

Just using the middle room in the house

Yeah I am, the drive to Birmingham every couple of months is a pain, but worth it to learn more.

Just using the middle room in the house

Where you going, flash centre?

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was, shoot in mono. Easier to see shadow detail and assess it on the fly.

I’m hoping to do a few things I have in mind before xmas if I can get Rosie interested. Got an outdoor family session this weekend though.

Where you going, flash centre?

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was, shoot in mono. Easier to see shadow detail and assess it on the fly.

I’m hoping to do a few things I have in mind before xmas if I can get Rosie interested. Got an outdoor family session this weekend though.
Yeah, being trained by Gary Hill of Art Of The Portrait, using the flash centre as a base as he's in Lancaster so it's roughly half way

Agreed, prices will shoot up if anything....
I’m buying all my gadget / electronic needs now.... bought something with a alpha 9 processor in it ;)
Apple shopping next week or so. Lol
Still no sign of my Sony FE 24mm f1.4 GM though :(
This is probably my last GM lens.

Thought I would ask you all about Sony mirrorless as I’m toying with the idea of moving over. it’s likely to be the future, and now Nikon have laid out their hand there are likely to be lens changes in the future whatever manufacturer I’m with. I shoot landscapes and wildlife. For landscapes I know it would be excellent especially the lighter weight and EVF to see the image/DoF etc before taking it. For wildlife I’m not so sure about it due to concerns over low light AF (most likely it’s probably not a concern but would be great to know either way) but also the current line up of available lenses. The lack of telephoto lenses is currently a concern but I’m sure that would improve over time. Currently the 100-400 f5.6 looks like the only option for wildlife (400 f2.8 is way out of my price range a when a 300 f2.8 comes it will likely be too much too). Anyone have any experience of that lens? Other lenses I would be looking are likely to be the 24-70 f4 and 70-200 f4. Not sure what camera I would be looking at, probably an A7RII or A7RIII but not sure if that’s really the right camera for both wildlife and landscapes.

So what advice would anyone have?

Thought I would ask you all about Sony mirrorless as I’m toying with the idea of moving over. it’s likely to be the future, and now Nikon have laid out their hand there are likely to be lens changes in the future whatever manufacturer I’m with. I shoot landscapes and wildlife. For landscapes I know it would be excellent especially the lighter weight and EVF to see the image/DoF etc before taking it. For wildlife I’m not so sure about it due to concerns over low light AF (most likely it’s probably not a concern but would be great to know either way) but also the current line up of available lenses. The lack of telephoto lenses is currently a concern but I’m sure that would improve over time. Currently the 100-400 f5.6 looks like the only option for wildlife (400 f2.8 is way out of my price range a when a 300 f2.8 comes it will likely be too much too). Anyone have any experience of that lens? Other lenses I would be looking are likely to be the 24-70 f4 and 70-200 f4. Not sure what camera I would be looking at, probably an A7RII or A7RIII but not sure if that’s really the right camera for both wildlife and landscapes.

So what advice would anyone have?
So you’ll be changing your name to Rob-Sony.:p

Back