The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

With the A7ii will it have the same focussing speed as the A7Rii and will the use of the Canon or Nikon lenses still be as fast using the Metabones adapter??? If not could this be updated with firmware?

Looking at Panamoz yesterday and the A7ii seems a fair price with kit lens at £1115

With the A7ii will it have the same focussing speed as the A7Rii and will the use of the Canon or Nikon lenses still be as fast using the Metabones adapter??? If not could this be updated with firmware?

Looking at Panamoz yesterday and the A7ii seems a fair price with kit lens at £1115

No. No. The new A7rii will be much better, hence the price!

Thanks for the confirmation. Bored and having a look around.

Will stick with the Nikon and order the 24-120 as discussed and see how I get one. Just waiting for the BACS payment to come through.

No. No. The new A7rii will be much better, hence the price!

Just been looking for a bag to take my A7 with 55 or 35mm fitted and the other in a bag. Have tried the supermarkets and Currys but nothing suits. The closest was a bag in Currys but it had superfluous flaps which seemed to serve no purpose other than get in the way and wasn't marked with a price.

Can anyone suggest a small bag for camera and additional lens?

Last edited:
Just been looking for a bag to take my A7 with 55 or 35mm fitted and the other in a bag. Have tried the supermarkets and Currys but nothing suits. The closest was a bag in Currys but it had superfluous flaps which seemed to serve no purpose other than get in the way and wasn't marked with a price.

Lowepro event messenger 100

http://store.lowepro.com/event-messenger-100

I have liked the Think Tank Retrospective range, good quality but a little heavy for me. I use a Crumpler Light Deligt 6000 which is a lightweight bag and will hold a body with lens attached and a couple more smallish ones if required. They go with the ethos of a lighter system I suppose. I have the slate grey one and it's a nice colour along with the brown one I have previously owned.

If TTR7 I think Lovegrove is one of the cheapest around at present, I bought mine from Speedgraphic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crumpler-Light-Delight-6000-Camera/dp/B0081PQTII
http://lovegroveshop.com/product-category/think-tank/

Hmmm. The smaller ones look pretty much like the unpriced bag in Currys. I suppose the flap on the top is for rain protection? When I tried the one in Currys it was impossible to open it and get the camera out with one hand as the flap must first be moved and held out of the way otherwise it got in the way of the zip. If it hadn't have had that flap I'd have asked how much it was. I had a good look to see how easy it would be to cut off but a neat job wouldn't have been easy. I just don't see the point of those flaps and for me all they do is get in the way both when getting the camera out and when putting it back.

My most used bag at the moment is an old camcorder bag I posted a picture of a couple of pages back but I'd really like something smaller. I have an Aldi managers special I paid £10 for and although it's slightly too big at least it's flapless and can be opened and closed one handed. I think I'll take it on holiday with me and see what's for sale at the airport.

Last edited:

I'm using a Think Tank Retrospective 5. Fits the A7 with an attached lens, and 2 other lenses. I've had another 50mm and the 24-70 in there for example. 1 extra lens is easy, the 2nd is a wee bit of a squeeze - but it's fine. Also doesn't look like a normal camera bag, which is nice. I'd highly recommend! :)

Just discovered that the A7 with 35mm f2.8 just fits in a Lowpro Apex 100 AW that I've been carrying my GX7 and 20mm in. There's no room for an additional lens though.

I haven't checked Tesco but will do and if not I just might have to make do with the Apex 100 or one of the annoying flappy ones from Currys.

The old camcorder bag is ok for the camera and two or three lenses + holder and filters when I'm by myself on a dedicated photo day but is just too big for a day out with GF and family.

Just listed four bags in the for sale section if anyone wants one.

I use a tesco bag. Does the job
Like this? :p

tesco_1724136c.jpg

Careful! That's not a toy and it could choke a small dog!

Otherwise... No. But actually it's about as suitable as anything I looked at when at the shops earlier.

DPR tests the A7rII focus tracking...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a7rii-and-rx100m4-eye-af/#disqus_thread

"1) A7rII with adapted 50mm Sigma EF lens: In fact, it’s this accurate phase-detect AF that allows the a7R II to focus the Sigma 50mm F1.4 lens with far more accuracy than a DSLR. We have to microadjust F1.4 primes all the time on DSLRs to get accurate focus out of them, and even then, peripheral AF points may continue to be off

2) A7rII with 24-70mm FE lens: The camera automatically finds the nearest eye, and continuously focuses on it, despite rather drastic and fast movement along the X, Y, and Z (distance) axes. No hunting, no jumping off to some other subject, just fast and effective AF on Richard’s eye.

3) Eye AF on the RX100m4: it’s really, really good, especially when you consider the RX100 IV has a contrast-detect only AF system."

So close to pre ordering but like @twist said in another forum. We want it to do that af tracking on different modes /selection. At present it only works in full af mode

1) Yup, all fine and dandy if you dont mind AF in full auto and nose shots, Id like to think nobody uses that. Micro adjust, wow, not all lenses need it and it takes 5 mins if they do. No big deal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8k0Tpo0y4

At the end of the video, you'll see that, unfortunately, all the AF modes are not available with 3rd party glass on the a7R II. Therefore, it's difficult (if not impossible) to specify *what* it is you want the camera to focus on, which makes this continuous AF mode of potentially limited value. We hope to see some of these modes enabled by Sony for 3rd party glass in future updates, if not at the very least a way of specifying to the camera what the initial subject is. In fact, it's the fact that we had to leave the camera in 'auto' mode with respect to what to focus on that the nose is often focused on instead of the eye, as we were not able to specify that it is, in fact, the eye that we wish to focus on. Note that this will not be an issue for Sony lenses, where you *can* specify the subject, and even use eye AF.

Last edited:
I use A99s to shoot weddings and I love them. Today I popped in to Jessops and had a wee look at an a7r. It is just lovely. I *could* be tempted to ditch the alphas and get two a7rs if it wasn't for that pesky July tax bill ;)

1) Yup, all fine and dandy if you dont mind AF in full auto and nose shots, Id like to think nobody uses that. Micro adjust, wow, not all lenses need it and it takes 5 mins if they do. No big deal.
I think you'd be pretty lucky not to need to MA (if you're a pixel peeper) and your luck would need to be world beating as you buy more lenses, I thought you had to MA at a few distances and even if you get it done in 5 minutes what about the other distances, the outer points and the possibility of it wandering over time. The beauty of these CSC is that the focus is much more accurate at any and all distances today and tomorrow and into the future.

I think you'd be pretty lucky not to need to MA (if you're a pixel peeper) and your luck would need to be world beating as you buy more lenses, I thought you had to MA at a few distances and even if you get it done in 5 minutes what about the other distances, the outer points and the possibility of it wandering over time. The beauty of these CSC is that the focus is much more accurate at any and all distances today and tomorror and into the future.

I must have very good luck as I've owned a lot of lenses and so have a lot of people here and I don't see all of them moaning. I've owned more lenses that haven't required it or the adjustments were very minor, all under 8 pts. Nope, there's only 1 MA adjustment for all distances and all points with a nikon. Like I said 5 mins and there's also software like focal. If its that far out the lens is faulty and youd arrange a replacement.

I only shoot fast lenses (1.4) wide open and my camera is very fast and very accurate, my hit rate is much higher with moving targets than with any mirrorless I've used, if I need 100% accuracy with a still subject and have time then I also have the option of live view, I can also see my exposure changes live that way, so its not just mirrorless that can do that like some think.

Last edited:
I use A99s to shoot weddings and I love them. Today I popped in to Jessops and had a wee look at an a7r. It is just lovely. I *could* be tempted to ditch the alphas and get two a7rs if it wasn't for that pesky July tax bill ;)
That and the single card slots.....

I looked at the next generation lens technology called *do* which stands for defecation optics. Makes lenses half the size and weight as standard design lenses plus other goodies. Sony should look into this tech and make smaller lenses for there mirrorless systems.

Is it a Canon owned tech though?

Defraction Optics :0)

Canon used it in their 400mm DO and 70-300 DO in 2004;

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4.5-5.6-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-4.0-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've never shot with either but the reviews above indicated reduced contrast and sharpness as well as halos in the out of focus areas so not really great lenses compared to others at the time. I don't know if Sony could use the same principle to reduce their lens sizes without compromising quality on much better sensors that show every flaw of a lens.

Defraction Optics :0)

Canon used it in their 400mm DO and 70-300 DO in 2004;

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4.5-5.6-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-4.0-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've never shot with either but the reviews above indicated reduced contrast and sharpness as well as halos in the out of focus areas so not really great lenses compared to others at the time. I don't know if Sony could use the same principle to reduce their lens sizes without compromising quality on much better sensors that show every flaw of a lens.

Thought it sounded familiar. No point in using old failed technology.

Nikon have used it in a recent lens or two, only they refer to it as "Phase Fresnel" which to me sounds cooler and more sci-fi that "Diffractive Optics". I mean, who likes diffraction - that's what makes photos blurry at small apertures right? Meanwhile Phase Fresnel sounds like something they'd use in Star Trek.

More importantly, the Batis should be arriving in about 2 weeks. I have just over a thousand sitting in my paypal account, so all ready to buy here!

FE 35mm F1. 4 after cashback is just over £850 at currys at the moment. Seems a good deal.

FE 35mm F1. 4 after cashback is just over £850 at currys at the moment. Seems a good deal.

Theyll send you a 2.8, I speak from first hand experience. They dont stock a f1.4 lens even though its listed as that, bunch of twits... and even if they did 1100 less 150 is 950.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Last edited:
I must have very good luck...

I think luck does come into it.

I've had Canon DSLR's and most of my lenses were fast Sigma's and I've watched the internet panic over Sigma and Canon focus issues with some bafflement and amusement too. I only ever used the centre point and my technique isn't all bad and I never suffered any significant instances of focus issues other than what I'd expect to suffer when pushing what's possible to the limit (low light, low contrast subject etc.) and when doing so I'd try to take more than one picture and it seemed to work for me. Some time ago I read a review on line and they got on about the MA / focus issues subject and they said that they'd had fewer focus issues with the Canon 20D than with any other camera. That's what I used for seven years and I only stopped using it when I got a 5D which I believe has a similar focus system. So, maybe it's down to "luck" what lens you receive and what body you use it on.

There's also the build and operation of the DSLR system with it's focus sensor buried in the bowels. I can't see how that arrangement can ever be as accurate and consistent as a sensor based system. MA or not.

Although I can't be bothered to find a link I did read something on Canon UK's web site some time ago and to paraphrase what it said was that if you take three pictures and then examine them you'll see focus differences and this is perfectly normal. And it is. I've always doubted people who claim to be able to "nail it" every time as even Canon are saying that you'll not get exactly the same result if you shoot the same subject three times.

I'm not interested in focus tracking as it's not something I've ever done but I can see how many will like the feature and maybe CSC's aren't for them although I think that we should wait until the better A7rII reviews come out before jumping to too many conclusions.

CSC at the moment are probably best suited to people like me... and people like me will very probably find that CSC focus is better than DSLR focus. Personally I've only had a hand full of missed focus shots with my CSC's and on one occasion I got three in a row but I think that was down to the humidity in Thailand as shots before and after were fine. Other than that, Great.

Like all choices we need to think if the product is for us and there's a lot of choice out there for people who prefer the features and abilities of DSLR's.

Last edited:
CSC at the moment are probably best suited to people like me... and people like me will very probably find that CSC focus is better than DSLR focus. Personally I've only had a hand full of missed focus shots with my CSC's and on one occasion I got three in a row but I think that was down to the humidity in Thailand as shots before and after were fine. Other than that, Great.

Like all choices we need to think if the product is for us and there's a lot of choice out there for people who prefer the features and abilities of DSLR's.

Very true, it does depend on the user and what they photograph. Im unfortunately one of those that likes using both systems for various reasons, DSLR for focus speed and accuracy for moving subjects and CSC because they are less 'effort'. I dont however like coughing up for two full systems!! Doh!! I know mirrorless will catch up in a few years and most likely exceed eventually but I want it NNNNOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Very true, it does depend on the user and what they photograph. Im unfortunately one of those that likes using both systems for various reasons, DSLR for focus speed and accuracy for moving subjects and CSC because they are less 'effort'. I dont however like coughing up for two full systems!! Doh!! I know mirrorless will catch up in a few years and most likely exceed eventually but I want it NNNNOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
I'm exactly like you. I won't cough into two systems and tbh the only reason I got the 55mm prime for my a7s is just to play around with a tiny native lens.

When I was in NYC most of my shots where taken with Canon glass on my a7s

Back