1. david357

david357

Name:
    Umm......................
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Menu, camera icon 2, page 6 (display/auto review) select finder/monitor, it’s set to auto, move highlight to viewfinder, and click centre button to select. Back out of menu.
    When you want to change menu items again, you have to use the vf to change back to auto for ease of use.
    HTH

2. david357

david357

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You could then set up a custom button to activate live view should you need it.

3. ChrisHeathcote

ChrisHeathcote

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm not sure about the "too much ground" but more not enough at the top, the trees look too cropped, maybe more height and a bit more depth to the shot, maybe a bit more to the right for balance so as to to keep the panorama aspect. The contrast between the crisp colours in the foreground against the soft, washed out tones in the trees works really well. I would like to see more made of the mist

rookies likes this.
  4. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for that, it’s great to only be using the viewfinder rather than both. I’ve set the custom button for C4 to ‘finder/monitor sel’ so I can toggle the LCD on and off by pressing that button. Much easier and hopefully saves a bit of battery life without the LCD on when I don’t need it to be on.

5. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Evf uses more battery than LCD.

6. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It’s not even worth £500 let alone £850.
    I’ve owned it and it’s just not worth the price.

7. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    But seriously, give the screen a fair go. No need for BBF, tap your focus point and bang. So quick! I’ve morphed into using both, depending.

8. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Isn’t the EVF only on when your eye is up to the viewfinder? The LCD was constantly when my eye wasn’t to the viewfinder lining up an image.

I will have a play with that. It does sound useful.

Livin The Dream likes this.
  9. JJ!

JJ!

Edit My Images:
    No
    This was an annoyance to me but to make it make exactly like a DSLR I did the following:

Menu tab 2 then 6/9
    Click on DISP Button
    Click monitor
    Click bottom check box - Monitor off
    Come out of menu
    Click DISP button (top of scroll button) and you can now cycle through to monitor off.

10. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The rumor site says that Sigma have issued a firmware update for the MC-11 adapter.

While I'm here, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    rookies likes this.
  11. david357

david357

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  12. david357

david357

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    upload_2018-12-6_12-26-18.jpeg

More info re above spreadsheet.

footman likes this.
  13. robj20

robj20

Edit My Images:
    No
    I like my 24-70 f4, but i'm hoping to swap it for the 24-105 f4.

justa1972 and rookies like this.
  14. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Like mine too strange you said that as I been thinking same too

15. ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The view from my hotel here in Naples this afternoon. A7 with Olympus 35mm shift lens:
    [​IMG]Napoli I by Ian, on Flickr

16. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think at first it’s natural to set them up like a dslr, as I did too. Didn’t last long. The best part is losing focus, recompose. How much easier!

Also had the screen off setup initially but went back.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:18 PM
  17. T_J_G

T_J_G

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For those with affected Sandisk cards, push Sandisk a bit.

They’re replacing my 6x UHS1 cards with 6xUHSII cards!

mjScall likes this.
  18. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
  19. JJ!

JJ!

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just find the EVF much easier and more atble when tracking sports for me so its a better set up for me, but for other situations I can see the benefits of screen.

Livin The Dream likes this.
  20. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Certainly for that purpose.

21. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've just received an m mount adapter for my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and after firing off a few test shots I'm quite happy. I'd read that this lens is soft wide open, vignetted like crazy, had really bad barrel distortion and had ca but in use after applying the profile in CS5 I'm quite pleased. The vignetting is well within the range of CS5 to correct and the barrel distortion which is visible when taking shots seems to be insignificant (this is after applying the profile, architectural photographers may still see it as a problem.) There's purple fringing at 100% in some shots with bright objects and it may be visible in some other shots but so far it's not shown itself too much in my test shots and lastly although the lens is softish wide open it's ok after a little more sharpening than I'd usually apply and it's sharper at f2 to the point that IMO it's good anywhere you'd put a main subject in the frame at f2.

Test shots.

[​IMG]

100% but as usual this wont be quite as sharp here as it is on my screen. On my screen it's not Sony 55mm f1.8 sharp but good enough.

[​IMG]

100% from the top third. Same comment about sharpness here and the Sony 55mm.

[​IMG]

I think this lens is ok at f1.4, easily sharp enough even at 100% after a bit more sharpening and vignetting and barrel distortion aren't so far issues for me. It's not quite as good as the e mount version and one thing that I definitely don't like is focusing with the focus tab as I'd much rather have a focus ring.

Oh, the minimum focus distance is pants so this isn't a lens for pseudo macro shots... I have a close focus adapter on the way so I'll see how it is with that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    NewBeetle likes this.
  22. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I forgot to include a barrel distortion shot so here's one after applying the profile. It's the same in landscape as far as I can see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM
    NewBeetle likes this.
  23. LeeRatters

LeeRatters

Name:
    Lee
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think all the M's have their little quirks. I don't use the close focus adapter often but it is always attached (it is a little heavier than a standard adapter) The 40/1.4 has a wide open glow on occasion but by f/2 it's more than acceptable.

The 40/1.2E should be with me next week!! :)

I'm also considering the Color Skopar 21mm f/3.5E too but I'm trying to resist for now just incase some offers come up. They also don't seem popular on the used market.

24. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think I’m going to be the same. For wildlife the EVF will be the better option due to tracking the subject. For landscapes the LCD will likely be better and easier to use unless it’s really bright.

25. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I had the Color Skopar 35mm f2.5 years ago and I stupidly sold it. I should have just bought another but I was swayed by the f1.4 but the focus tab annoyed me today and I'm sort of wishing I had gone for the f2.5 as that's equally tiny and has a focus ring. I'll give the f1.4 a long road test and see if I can live with it.

I haven't used my e mount 40mm f1.2 for a while but it is a very nice lens and I think you'll be pleased with the image quality. It certainly gives a more modern and less divisive "classic" look than the e mount 35mm f1.4 and to an even greater extent these RF lenses give.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 7:16 PM
  26. ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  27. ChrisHeathcote

ChrisHeathcote

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lovely photos Ian, in particular like the calm colours and lighting of the first. The skys in 2 & 3 are also fantastic. I hope you don’t mind a little critique bit I find the dark mass at the bottom of the third a little distracting, although I don’t think you can do much about that now, other than maybe clone it out, which I don’t think would look right either. Also personallly I think the large white borders detract from the images, the shots are great in their own right, let them shine (y)

28. ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the comments Chris. I wasn't convinced by the first so I'm pleased you like it. The dark mass in 3 is the black sand beach. I can crop it to but then the bottom is too tight. I might revisit when I am back on my proper computer and see if I can improve that part. I know borders aren't to everyone's taste, I use them so the Flickr stream look neater.

29. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Some recent samples from 24GM. Took it out for Christmas at the Kew gardens, was a surprise anniversary outing for the missus.
    This lens actually weathersealed, sony has finally realised rubber sealing around the mount is needed. I was fairly comfortable using it in the rain.

f/10, 15s, ISO100 - the round thingies in the sky are water droplets on the lens
    [​IMG]ASA06360 by Anand Gopinath, on Flickr

f/1.4, 1/250, ISO256000 (bit of a high ISO shot, other option is to have my son blurry, so... yeah)
    [​IMG]ASA06364 by Anand Gopinath, on Flickr

30. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Don't the other GMs have a weather seal?

Riz_Guru likes this.
  31. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't think they have a rubber seal around the mount which is my main issue with these highly priced GMs. Don't think my 70-200mm had it, I am expecting a 100-400mm next week so I'll check.
    But more than happy to be wrong in this case
    @Riz_Guru - could you enlighten us please?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    Riz_Guru likes this.
  32. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Pretty sure they do, my Sigmas also have them (dslr versions do not).

33. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah good to know... is the sigma now weathersealed? that could be a benefit on buying these for e-mount...
    I know my a-mount sigma art 35 was not weathersealed

hope this answers your question about shooting in the rain. I don't choose to but we live in the UK and we like doing things outside. Tickets were booked nearly 6 months ago. Not much you can do or just not get any pictures.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:01 AM
  34. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    It wasn't a question and no reason you can't get a rain cover if you are that worried but a few here use their cameras in the rain without issues.

35. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The 85 GM does.

Is it just me, but I find the Sony prime lens lineup a bit bizarre when you consider these differences. The 35 distagon is an odd ball. Doesn’t have the rubber seal and there’s no GM 35?

36. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Its a Zeiss specification, not Sony. Still waiting for the 35GM.... guess they think there are enough 35 options already and they don't acknowledge the CZ QC issues.

37. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Why have a gm 35? What would be different about that vs the distagon?

The distagon was more of less a launch lens that came with the original launch of the whole ff e mount

38. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i guess you didn't catch my question before i edited it lol

is the sigma now weathersealed? that could be a benefit on buying these for e-mount...
    I know my a-mount sigma art 35 was not weathersealed

39. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Id welcome it, for starters it would be different optically and have a weather seal and less variation.

40. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, the E mount ART lenses are weather sealed, I did mention it to you a while ago. Definitely beneficial. DSLR mounts definitely aren't {the primes} (not just A mount).

nandbytes likes this.