The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I regularly do plenty of wildlife at or greater than ISO 6400, I no longer regard it as a barrier.
44444730102_dcdfaf54cc_z.jpg

ISO 8000 1/500 F8 560mm

43168686722_4153cecbaf_z.jpg

ISO 6400

41668279210_fc29d1d20e_z.jpg

ISO 12800. Not exactly wildlife but she is a bloody nuisance. Our daughters dog in New York.

43836541831_6696599ee1_z.jpg

ISO 12800

44753229045_106934a647_z.jpg

ISO 10000
Looks good. I usually air on the side of caution with ISO until I get used to what it’s capable of. Looks like ISO6400 and maybe beyond isn’t a worry if you need to get shutter speed up.

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I'm after a bag for travel with my new A7 kit and figured here would be the best place for suggestions

I've got a Thinktank Retrospective 10 for using at home, and I think the size is about right, but maybe a touch more would be better for travel?

The reasons I'm after something else to travel with are:

Quick access is a bit of a pain with the 10, you either have to lift the full velcro flap each time, or use the silencers and lose any sort of security you may have had
Weather proofing is zero, I've got the rain cover, but I'm expecting rain/snow on the trip and I'd rather not have to use that all the time

Any suggestions for what to get?

At the moment I'm also thinking of using

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Face...1544387435&sr=8-1&keywords=north+face+charged

and just getting some dividers etc for it, as it's a really sturdy bag, but it's maybe a bit big to carry around all day half empty!

I'd be taking an A7 and 3-4 lenses, nothing massive.

Any advice welcome on either a bag or what dividers/packing to use in the one I've already got :) or even a bag and the dividers to put in it of not already a camera bag!

Looks good. I usually air on the side of caution with ISO until I get used to what it’s capable of. Looks like ISO6400 and maybe beyond isn’t a worry if you need to get shutter speed up.

I think output size matters a lot and also not cropping and printing big. If you can frame the picture and don't have to crop and can be realistic with your output size very high ISO's can become useable.

I've posted this as an example before, taken at ISO 16,000 with a MFT camera. As a whole picture viewed normally on screen noise isn't a problem. I keep meaning to print it to see what it looks like but I'm sure that when I do it'll be ok and if MFT can manage this at ISO 16,000 I'm sure an A7 series camera can do better.

4w4IQZ5.jpg

I don't really worry about ISO any more, not in natural light anyway but I do worry about it in some artificial lighting as even relatively low ISO's can look pants under some lighting.

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I'm after a bag for travel with my new A7 kit and figured here would be the best place for suggestions

I've got a Thinktank Retrospective 10 for using at home, and I think the size is about right, but maybe a touch more would be better for travel?

Quick access is a bit of a pain with the 10, you either have to lift the full velcro flap each time, or use the silencers and lose any sort of security you may have had
Weather proofing is zero, I've got the rain cover, but I'm expecting rain/snow on the trip and I'd rather not have to use that all the time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Face...1544387435&sr=8-1&keywords=north+face+charged

and just getting some dividers etc for it, as it's a really sturdy bag, but it's maybe a bit big to carry around all day half empty!

Any advice welcome on either a bag or what dividers/packing to use in the one I've already got :) or even a bag and the dividers to put in it of not already a camera bag!

Which 3-4 lenses?

I like tenba DNA messenger bags which provide quick easy access. If you are feeling rich peak design also has a few options.

I use f-stop kenti backpack for longer travels and hikes.

Which 3-4 lenses?

I like tenba DNA messenger bags which provide quick easy access. If you are feeling rich peak design also has a few options.

I use f-stop kenti backpack for longer travels and hikes.

It would be the 28-70 Kit lens, 85/1.8 for certain, and then probably my 50/1.4 and the adapter, I've got a 35mm pancake as well but doubt I'd ever need it so might leave that at home

Just had a look at Tenba and I really like the Cooper, just annoying that it's basically the same as the Thinktank but with the game changing top zip ha!

I'd looked at the Peak Design Everyday backpack, but I'm not sure I'm keen on the side pockets being so easy to get into whilst it's on my back....

It would be the 28-70 Kit lens, 85/1.8 for certain, and then probably my 50/1.4 and the adapter, I've got a 35mm pancake as well but doubt I'd ever need it so might leave that at home

Just had a look at Tenba and I really like the Cooper, just annoying that it's basically the same as the Thinktank but with the game changing top zip ha!

I'd looked at the Peak Design Everyday backpack, but I'm not sure I'm keen on the side pockets being so easy to get into whilst it's on my back....

I use a tenba DNA10 in which I have previously carried 3 lenses - 70-200mm f2.8, 28-75/2.8 and 85mm/1.8 with an A7RIII. That was a very very tight fit but possible.
So considering your lenses and camera is smaller may be even a tenba DNA 8 might suffice. I may even have one for sale but I'll have to check first.

Peak design do messenger style bags too with a top zip like tenba. But they are lot more expensive.

p.s. someone is selling a tenba DNA 15 in sales but that may be a bit too big for your needs.

Edit:
I use my tenba DNA 10 bag everyday for work without the insert/padding which you can take out. It's good quality, comfortable and sturdy.

Last edited:
I also have both a Tenba DNA 8 and DNA 10. The 10 would do your job. The 8 is too small for 3 lenses. You could get 2 in there (one on body) but not much else. I use it for my A73 with Sony 85mm f1.8 attached and little Samyang 35mm f2.8. I also have my PD slide lite strap and mini tripod. That fills it. I could substitute the strap/tripod/35mm and stick my Samyang 14mm in. Apologies for the phone pics by way of illustration...

tenba1 by CFC Photo, on Flickr

tenba2 by CFC Photo, on Flickr

I also have both a Tenba DNA 8 and DNA 10. The 10 would do your job. The 8 is too small for 3 lenses. You could get 2 in there (one on body) but not much else. I use it for my A73 with Sony 85mm f1.8 attached and little Samyang 35mm f2.8. I also have my PD slide lite strap and mini tripod. That fills it. I could substitute the strap/tripod/35mm and stick my Samyang 14mm in. Apologies for the phone pics by way of illustration...

tenba2 by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Thanks that really helps to see the size, I'll have a think and either go for the 8 and ditch some stuff for the trip, or just go with the 10 :)

Thanks all for the help

I suggest go for the 10. It'll give you some room to add few other bits and bobs if you like (eg: flash, water bottle, etc).

Agreed. Was about to say that myself. I use the DNA8 for light days out, such as street photography, photowalks etc. If I'm going abroad though, I'll take the DNA10 for the above reasons.

Looking to make the switch from the D750 to the a7iii.

Currently second shooting weddings, so want something for this sort of setup (silent shutter and eye af looks a big seller for me).

So currently have the d750 with Sigma 35mm art 1.4 and the nikon 85mm 1.8.

What 35's and 85's are worth considering for sony (currently pricing up the cost of switching)?

Looking to make the switch from the D750 to the a7iii.

Currently second shooting weddings, so want something for this sort of setup (silent shutter and eye af looks a big seller for me).

So currently have the d750 with Sigma 35mm art 1.4 and the nikon 85mm 1.8.

What 35's and 85's are worth considering for sony (currently pricing up the cost of switching)?

The native sigma ART 35/1.4 and sony FE 85mm f1.8 :)

You'll basically have the same setup

The native sigma ART 35/1.4 and sony FE 85mm f1.8 :)

You'll basically have the same setup

Used sigma 35mm don't seem to be on wex, mpb much if at all, so might be a ebay grab.

One issue i had with sigmas previously was focusing issues and need to calibrate on the d750. My understanding this isn't an issue with mirrorless cameras and they don't suffer with front/back focusing issue, however they also sell a sigma dock for sony... anyone know much about this and do they or don't they need calibrating?

Used sigma 35mm don't seem to be on wex, mpb much if at all, so might be a ebay grab.

One issue i had with sigmas previously was focusing issues and need to calibrate on the d750. My understanding this isn't an issue with mirrorless cameras and they don't suffer with front/back focusing issue, however they also sell a sigma dock for sony... anyone know much about this and do they or don't they need calibrating?

I don't think there is a sigma dock for Sony e-mount (must be for Sony a-mount perhaps?)
It shouldn't need any calibrating.

You'll struggled to find a used sigma anywhere since its newly out for e-mount and not many people own it.

I have a Tenba Cooper Slim that I managed to pick up in the sales. Its quality, but a big step up in cost from the DNA!

exactly not easy access. you need to use a tenba or peak design to know what easy access it.

How is lifting a flap = difficult access? A zip flap that you are not forced to zip shut, nothing stop you to have the top flap wide open too backwards on your body with the zip flap unzip....or even tucked in with the entire top open to the fresh air. How much "easier" do you want to get with an open top bag?

The Tenba at the top has clips and velcro, my Crumpler has the exact same design and that velcro is a pain when i am in a church.

How is lifting a flap = difficult access? A zip flap that you are not forced to zip shut, nothing stop you to have the top flap wide open too backwards on your body with the zip flap unzip....or even tucked in with the entire top open to the fresh air. How much "easier" do you want to get with an open top bag?

The Tenba at the top has clips and velcro, my Crumpler has the exact same design and that velcro is a pain when i am in a church.

yes its cumbersome hence not easy access compared to having a zip on top of flap anyway. Its a bit like having amazon prime vs. not. Sure waiting a day extra is no big deal but its not as good as getting something delivered same day or next day :p

Tenba velcro can be opened quietly :)

yes its cumbersome hence not easy access compared to having a zip on top of flap anyway. Its a bit like having amazon prime vs. not. Sure waiting a day extra is no big deal but its not as good as getting something delivered same day or next day :p

Tenba velcro can be opened quietly :)

I fail to see how lifting 2 flaps with 1 finger = cumbersome. I know what cumbersome is...and I know what would slow me down, why do you think i shoot with 2 bodies instead of changing lenses?

Last edited:
I fail to see how lifting 2 flaps with 1 finger = cumbersome.

I take that over velcro any day.

that's the whole point you don't need lift any flaps or open any velcros! Just a single zip on top between you and your gear while still having the safety of having a flap.
Like I said you need to use it to appreciate it.

that's the whole point you don't need lift any flaps or open any velcros! Just a single zip on top between you and your gear while still having the safety of having a flap.
Like I said you need to use it to appreciate it.

After you undo that zip, you STILL need to lift up that flap don't you? How is this any different?

After you undo that zip, you STILL need to lift up that flap don't you? How is this any different?

NO FLAP LIFTING NEEDED :D

The zip is ON the flap and not inside it. You just need to unzip on top and your gear is right there :)

You still need to lift up that piece of fabric the zip connects 2 sides don’t you?

Cumbersome.

nope, NO lifting needed. The only thing you need to lift is your gear out the camera bag.

yes it would be cumbersome if there was lifting of flaps, pieces of fabrics and what nots but there isn't

Last edited:
nope, NO lifting needed. The only think you need to lift is your gear out the camera bag.

yes it would be cumbersome if there was lifting of flaps, pieces of fabrics and what nots but there isn't

I've got the DNA 8 and that was the main selling point for me, so easy and quick to get the camera in and out.

nope, NO lifting needed. The only thing you need to lift is your gear out the camera bag.

You unzip and the fabric that you just unzip disappears? Into where?

You unzip and the fabric that you just unzip disappears? Into where?

yes its magic.

There are plenty of youtube video showing how it works. The zip is on top of the flap. You unzip and pull out your camera as suppose to having to move a flap out of the way to then take out your camera.

yes its magic.

There are plenty of youtube video showing how it works. The zip is on top of the flap. You unzip and pull out your camera as suppose to having to move a flap out of the way to then take out your camera.

Link to this magic?

The zip of on top of the flap? How does the flap move out of the way?

...I'm after a bag for travel with my new A7 kit and figured here would be the best place for suggestions...
I suppose it depends to some extent on the size of your lenses etc. I have an A7R2, paired with 3 primes- a Sony Zeiss 35mm, a Sony Zeiss 55mm, and a Sony 85mm, and I went looking for a suitable bag to accommodate that kit (plus a few odds & sods such as small flash gun for fill flash, spare batteries, etc). I eventually went for a Think Tank "Speed Demon".
It takes the camera (plus 35mm pancake lens) placed vertically in a central space in the bag and matching the bag's internal height, leaving adequate width and height for the other 2 lenses upright in spaces to either side. The bag's interior is long and wide enough, but lower in height than messenger type bags bags, so lenses are unlikely to be stacked on top of one another (which may cause clutter and slower access to them), and makes for easier access than messenger bags which tend to have taller interior space.
I have previously owned Think Tank retrospectives and Tenba DNA Messengers and liked them very much, but my kit being so compact in the absence of zoom lenses, the Speed Demon suits my particular needs nicely:)

Last edited:
Back