The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Pretty sure I updated my a7iii before on Mac and a7ii

FE28 is small, sharp but suffers from a lot of distortion easily corrected in software. AF is fast and accurate for both stills and video.

Sigma is anything but small and its sharp. The AF sucks for video but good and accurate for stills. Its a DSLR lens bodged up to make it work for mirrorless and it shows.

No its not (to both)

The 28mm is in my experience the worst lens I've used on mirrorless. Soft and just terrible distortion, though I used it on an A7R2 at the time

The Sigma 35 is a universe apart from it. I've shot some spectacular video footage on it too, once it grabs a subject it can track very handily video AF wise. Most videographers using Sony use manual focus btw lol

The Sigma 35 is probably the lens I've used most in the last 10 year's. Owned it across Canon and Nikon and the Sony variant is the best edition of it by a mile and doesn't need AF microadjust lol

The 28mm is in my experience the worst lens I've used on mirrorless. Soft and just terrible distortion, though I used it on an A7R2 at the time

The Sigma 35 is a universe apart from it. I've shot some spectacular video footage on it too, once it grabs a subject it can track very handily video AF wise. Most videographers using Sony use manual focus btw lol

The Sigma 35 is probably the lens I've used most in the last 10 year's. Owned it across Canon and Nikon and the Sony variant is the best edition of it by a mile and doesn't need AF microadjust lol

Well you clearly haven't use the Sony 16mm f2.8. It wins for worst mirrorless lens ever made hands down :D

It not soft lol, you must have had a lemon. There are plenty of examples that shows its sharpness.
yes it has a lot of distortion that's easily corrected in software. If that's not your cup of tea fair enough but its not an uncommon practice these days.

Erm... ok just because most videographers use MF doesn't make it fine to have terrible video AF.

Apparently 35mm ART Sony e-mount variant is weathersealed too by some claims on here which makes it even better on Sony. I have got nothing against sigma, already said it was very sharp. Its many people's favourite lens.

On the subject of the Surface Go, how does it cope with the 42mp files, been tempted to get one for travel to download raw files from my A7R2

First real image taken with the A7iii. Still trying to get used to the menu systems and all the different buttons having been so used to my D3300.

One notable difference is the ISO performance. Even at 12800 I still consider this usable, most notbale noise is in the sky but nothing I'm too unhappy about. Image isn't going to set the world alight but I just wanted to get out and use it!

Just in case someone hasn't see these at the rumor site...

"there will be some surprises" at Be-Alpha...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/be-alpha-ces-invitations-says-there-will-be-some-surprises/

And...

Sony 24mm f1.4 reviews...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-fe-24mm-f-1-4-g-master-review-33030

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/12/06/review-sony-24mm-f1-4-g-master-sony-fe-mount/

I think people here have it so they'll know how good it is :D but the rest of use who are too poor or too tight can at least read the reviews :D

Just in case someone hasn't see these at the rumor site...

"there will be some surprises" at Be-Alpha...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/be-alpha-ces-invitations-says-there-will-be-some-surprises/

And...

Sony 24mm f1.4 reviews...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-fe-24mm-f-1-4-g-master-review-33030

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/12/06/review-sony-24mm-f1-4-g-master-sony-fe-mount/

I think people here have it so they'll know how good it is :D but the rest of use who are too poor or too tight can at least read the reviews :D

It is probably the awesomest f1.4 AF lens I have used :D

While I'm here.

A7 and Voigtlander m mount 35mm f1.4 at f1.4. Cropped to a square so must be something like 28-33% crop or so.

Just like Republica she's Ready To Go...

9J3UxTl.jpg

I think I'll keep this. It's pretty soft wide open but sharpens up enough and although I'm having trouble juggling with the focusing I can just about manage and the lens is different enough from the newer design e mount lens to justify its space in the box... and occasional use when the mood takes me.

Just in case anyone fancies time travelling, Republica…

The single...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk

Original (dance) mix...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_T8dzyc2Ro

Last edited:
It is probably the awesomest f1.4 AF lens I have used :D

Stop it.

I have been thinking about getting a 24mm but for the amount of times I use the ones I have I think the cheapo Samyangy thingy would be enough and I do like the more compact kit. I have been trying to limit the number of native lenses I have just in case I fancy something else later but if I keep buying (I'll probably get the 35mm f1.8 if and when it comes out) I'll just have to deal with it :D

Last edited:
Stop it.

I have been thinking about getting a 24mm but for the amount of times I use the ones I have I think the cheapo Samyangy thingy would be enough and I do like the more compact kit. I have been trying to limit the number of native lenses I have just in case I fancy something else later but if I keep buying I'll just have to deal with it :D

This lens isn't exactly big especially for a f1.4. one of the reasons it's so awesome. Only slightly bigger than the FE85/1.8

Stop it.

I have been thinking about getting a 24mm but for the amount of times I use the ones I have I think the cheapo Samyangy thingy would be enough and I do like the more compact kit. I have been trying to limit the number of native lenses I have just in case I fancy something else later but if I keep buying (I'll probably get the 35mm f1.8 if and when it comes out) I'll just have to deal with it :D

It could buy you like 30 lenses :p

This lens isn't exactly big especially for a f1.4. one of the reasons it's so awesome. Only slightly bigger than the FE85/1.8

oh?

It's sometime difficult to judge how big these lenses are as in the pictures on line they all look big. Just a bit bigger than the 55mm would be ok for the f1.4. One thing I've always wanted to do is go on a cruise to see the northern lights and a wide f1.4 would be nice for that. I might give it some thought but at the moment a cruise is just a dream, not because I can't afford it but because it's difficult to get cover for a holiday, so difficult in fact that all the stress and hassle spoils the holiday.

oh?

It's sometime difficult to judge how big these lenses are as in the pictures on line they all look big. Just a bit bigger than the 55mm would be ok for the f1.4. One thing I've always wanted to do is go on a cruise to see the northern lights and a wide f1.4 would be nice for that. I might give it some thought but at the moment a cruise is just a dream, not because I can't afford it but because it's difficult to get cover for a holiday, so difficult in fact that all the stress and hassle spoils the holiday.

It is so small and light honestly the first impression when i opened the box was "is this it? Where is the rest of it? Did I get ripped off because it feels like it is missing some glass inside the barrel."

Anyone had any luck with Nikon G adapters on the Sony A7iii body? Come to the realisation that I won't be able to afford a load of new lenses. I know there are the Commlite and K&F Concept ones out there but would like some genuine reviews!

Anyone had any luck with Nikon G adapters on the Sony A7iii body? Come to the realisation that I won't be able to afford a load of new lenses. I know there are the Commlite and K&F Concept ones out there but would like some genuine reviews!

If the only lenses that you have are those listed in your signature then i would just sell them and start from scratch instead of putting money towards an adaptor, just accept you won't have the same focal lengths covered for a while until you saved up.

It is so small and light honestly the first impression when i opened the box was "is this it? Where is the rest of it? Did I get ripped off because it feels like it is missing some glass inside the barrel."

Thanks.

If I do look at getting something like this it might be between this and the Tokina Firin.

I had thoughts about the MF FiRIN 20mm.... I think the CV21/3.5E is winning though.

But it's f3.5 and the firin is f2 plus you can get an af firin.

I have film era 17 and 20mm f3.5 lenses which are ok for me for days out but if I ever get to go on that cruise I think I'd treat myself to a decent wide lens to keep the image quality up and with the wider aperture the noise down. Years ago I had a Sigma 20mm f1.8 which I liked, a bit soft wide open but sharp across the frame stopped down, but I haven't had a lens that could replace that since I sold it.

Anyone feel the Sony A9 low light AF could be better?

I use it for events where I'm often at 1/125th, f2.8 and ISO6400

the face detection AF is not as sticky as I would hope.. and if I want to position the person at the edge of the screen it's only a matter of time before it loses them.

Roll on A9 Mk II I guess..

Back